Ozzy's Map of Erebus for Orbis

Outstanding map!

Currently playing Lanun Always War (emperor) after a go at the Malakim on Deity. After a close call with an early rush from Kandros, that was a blowout. In my Lanun game, evidently some wood golems took out the Malakim for me within the first ten turns.

: )

Wow, I've never even attempted Deity. Good work!

I myself have a love-hate relationship with the Deity difficulty level. I enjoy the challenge of a powerful computer opponent, mostly for middle and late-game warring. On the other hand I find early play against a Deity level computer to be more frustrating than fun. If I am playing the Khazad for example, and start on a river with a silver and a marble in my capital's radius, rushing directly towards Kilmorph should get me the religion. However many a time in this or similar situations the result is that Varn Gosam (or insert other loathsome religion-hoarder, Cardith Lorda maybe?) has started in the flood plains with three gold and founds Kilmorph, Leaves, Order, AND Empyrean.

Fortunately, using the increasing difficulty game challenge option mitigates this considerably. I usually start on Monarch level so Deity will usually arrive at about the time of my first major war. The AI does not get insane bonuses during their formative years, but still gets a much-welcome upgrade as the game progresses.

Any idea whether this can be made to work with RifE (which uses the same civs)? Whenever I try to load this map in RifE, I have no units at all, and so I get a "You Have Been Defeated!" result on turn 0. When I load the map in my favorite text editor I can see the units and where they're supposed to be placed, so I know it's not a problem with the map...

What would I have to change in this map to make it work with RifE?

Any idea whether this can be made to work with RifE (which uses the same civs)? Whenever I try to load this map in RifE, I have no units at all, and so I get a "You Have Been Defeated!" result on turn 0. When I load the map in my favorite text editor I can see the units and where they're supposed to be placed, so I know it's not a problem with the map...

What would I have to change in this map to make it work with RifE?

If it does not crash on initialization, it seems pretty good. You can make it work, though it's rather time consuming.

0. Try a different civ. It might be wrong with only chosen civ. If it fails:

1. Start a RifE game with all civs and settings you want. Enter WB and save your map as a WB save.
2. Open saved WB save in Notepad and cut everything from begining of the file till "EndMap"
3. Open Ozzy map and replace everything from begining of the file till "EndMap" with what you cut from RifE WBSave.
4. Start a game (may have to try different civs), enter WB. Place all units in appropriate places, delete units from inappropriate places. De-reveal map for for all civs. This is time-consuming part.
5. It should work now.

There might be an easier way but this one is working, as I have converted multiple maps between different modmods this way.

Hallo to all,

I have a Problem with the map. Everytime I m starting a game the game crashes to Desktop when is "Initialising" the map (same Problem with Niki's map Knights of Erebus!).

I have installed Orbis 1.0.

Thx for any help!!

It probably wont since it contains civs that arent in Magisters mod. I think someone already made an Erebus map for Magisters mod anyway not sure though

Yeah, this version definitely shouldn't work. According to my limited and amateur testing the original, here, intended for for vanilla FFH works fine though, with a few quirks.

1. Because Desert Rose is a resource Magister added there won't be any. I believe, but am not certain, that all other non-mana missing resources are hell-terrain or event resources that should appear as normal.

2. The unique features he added will also be missing including all of the bones from the other dragons.

3. All of the mana nodes will be raw except for those provided by unique features, which is a problem for two reasons.

a. This is clearly not how MagisterCultuum intended the mod to be played, since unlike other modmods the randomized nodes are not optional in game set up. So if you're looking for the full intended experience you aren't getting it.​

b. More importantly, this point combined with point 2 means that there will be NO sources of creation mana on the map, and as creation nodes can't be built on raw mana, there will be no creation mana in the game except what comes from palaces and shrines.​

Of course, all of these problems can be fixed either by hand, or I believe, by setting the randomize resources and randomize unique features option in the map file (although that will mean you aren't getting the intended experience of the map, which presumably had it's resources painstakingly placed and balanced).

Ok, map updated! Now compatible with Orbis 1.0b.

I added Palatinate & Dao, which necessitated expanding the smaller continent. I switched the leader for the Tlactl to be evil and moved the Sheaim to the smaller continent with the Dao taking their spot on the big one (for alignment balance). I also did some rebalancing of resources. I also removed some of the 'random' terrain since that was mentioned earlier in this thread as a complaint.

I'd definitely appreciate more feedback, folks in the thread (10 years ago, of course) said that the Malakim were too strong. I did a few playtests and they expand very slowly, keeping just one mega city for a very long time. I'm not sure how to get them to expand normally, but I'm open to advice. The Scions, Dao, Illian and Hippus also expanded rather slowly. Not sure how to fix that either.

ill check this out and give it a go. Though i need to first reinstall Orbis and hope it's stable cause last I played it was in 2015. What difficulty do you recommend to play for the mod for the AI to put up a decent fight?

ill check this out and give it a go. Though i need to first reinstall Orbis and hope it's stable cause last I played it was in 2015. What difficulty do you recommend to play for the mod for the AI to put up a decent fight?
I'm not sure. I haven't really tested the map (or the mod) enough to feel that out. I generally play on Emperor and if I'm in need of a challenge I'll use the high to low or flexible difficulty settings.

I'm not sure. I haven't really tested the map (or the mod) enough to feel that out. I generally play on Emperor and if I'm in need of a challenge I'll use the high to low or flexible difficulty settings.

I kinda wish Orbis was still being update. The AI could use love. One declared war on me and decided to not attack me. Im wondering if the Barbs are causing the AI to have a hard time? Maybe.

Top Bottom