How do I run BUG and BULL without BAT?

Cort Haus

Warlord
I've currently got BUG running by default - I assume that this is set up in the custom assets, and I have BAT, which seems to include both BUG and BULL, runnable with a desktop icon.

BAT looks superb, but I was wondering that all the pretty graphics might be slowing things down, certainly for loading, if not the actual gameplay. I do appreciate the extra info on combat odds and actual effects of buildings, settling GPs etc, which I assume are down to BULL.

So, can I get BUG running with BULL but not BAT, preferably running by default?

Many thanks. :)

btw, sorry if this is covered in the general questions thread, but there are 51 pages of it. :-\

Wow, the BUG FAQ is horribly outdated and doesn't cover this. :(

You have BUG installed to CustomAssets so you need to download the BULL ZIP file (no installer, sorry), unpack it, and copy all of the items in its Assets folder into the CustomAssets folder, saying "Yes" to overwrite items (there aren't actually any duplicates).

The one tricky part is that Civ4 will only use a DLL from a mod folder or its own Assets folder. It ignores any DLL in the CustomAssets folder. So you'll need to back up your existing Civ4GameCoreDLL.dll file in the Assets folder where the Civ4 EXE lives and move the one from BULL's Assets folder there. This will make BUG and BULL active for all games.

The alternative is to install BUG using the multiplayer install option so it's a separate mod (like BAT) and copy the BULL files into its Assets folder. Here you can leave the DLL in BUG's Assets folder since it's a mod. Then you can set up Civ4 to load BUG+BULL automatically.

I have trouble getting BULL to work with the BUG mod.

I have added the Civ4GameCoreDLL.dll to Beyond The Sword in steam> steam apps > common > Sid Meirs Civilization IV Beyond The Sword, as well as copying and pasting the BULL assets folder into the BUG's custom assets folder as indicated above.

But the odds screen in BUG still says I need BULL for it to work.

BTW i've Steam where I bought BTS seperate from the original Civ IV.

So you copied Civ4GameCoreDLL.dll to the Assets folder where the CIV4BeyondSword.exe application is located, correct? And you copied the folders inside BULL's Assets folder to the CustomAssets folder--not the Assets folder itself, correct?

BUG is definitely not using the BULL DLL. When you hover over your flag next to the minimap, do you see anything about BULL or BUG or the Unofficial Patch? If not, the DLL is not in the correct place. Is there a "Beyond the Sword" folder inside the folder containing Civ4 itself? I wonder if the Steam install puts some files there as well. If so, copy the DLL to that folder's Assets folder.

I put "CvGameCoredll.dll" from "BULL_1.2.zip" into Steam > steamapps> common> Sid Meier's IV Beyond The Sword > assests. There was alrady a "CvGameCore.dll.dll" there already but I pasted the "CvGameCorkdll.dll" from the "BULL_1.2.zip" into the folder anyway.

I then unrared the assests folder from "BULL_1.2.zip" into "My Documents > My Games > Beyond The Sword > Custom Assests. (there was a "CvGameCorkdll.dll" in there already.

It doesn't work still.

When you hover over your flag next to the minimap, do you see anything about BULL or BUG or the Unofficial Patch? It sounds like the custom DLL is being ignored by BTS entirely. I haven't heard of the Steam version doing anything like that.

I am trying to get BULL 1.2 to work with BUG 4.4 as well. Installed BUG under the default single player option; copied BULL's Assets folder to CustomAssets; replaced the .dll file in BTS Assets with the one from BULL.

It seems BULL is active, but there are some XML errors. When I hover mouse over an unit or building in city screen, sometimes it will say gibberish like "TXT_ACTUAL_EFFECT..."

I am trying to get BULL 1.2 to work with BUG 4.4 as well. Installed BUG under the default single player option; copied BULL's Assets folder to CustomAssets; replaced the .dll file in BTS Assets with the one from BULL.

It seems BULL is active, but there are some XML errors. When I hover mouse over an unit or building in city screen, sometimes it will say gibberish like "TXT_ACTUAL_EFFECT..."

There are some XML files that have to be copied over during the BULL installation. These are detailed in the instructions for installation. They may be a little confusing, but just follow them carefully and things should work out fine. :)

We never got around to writing an installer, sorry.

There are some XML files that have to be copied over during the BULL installation. These are detailed in the instructions for installation. They may be a little confusing, but just follow them carefully and things should work out fine. :)

We never got around to writing an installer, sorry.

Which XML files need to be copied over? The instruction didn't mention any.

Which XML files need to be copied over? The instruction didn't mention any.
I'll get back to you in a day or so. I'm in an airport at the moment and I have no access to my files at home.

Stay tuned. :)

I'm trying to get BUG + BULL working as a mod install.

This is the install directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUG Mod 4.4

I copied the BULL 1.2's assets folders into the BUG Mod folder, overwriting, yet I can't seem to get the BULL tab to show up in BUG's options.

Did you copy the dll file into your assets directory? Making sure to rename the original first?

Ok, I finally got it working! Or rather, it was probably working all along, but I didn't realize it. What was throwing me off was that I seemed to remember there being a BULL tab in the BUG options after adding the DLL, and I assumed it wasn't working when I didn't see that. I am seeing hammer overflow, however, so it seems to be working. :)

Top Bottom