SGOTM 13 - TNT thread

Looking at the Culture graph, it looks like Plastic Ducks have the same 118 score as we do but have played one turn more? Might they have set their settler on the PH and then settled turn 2 on the original tile or east hill?? edit: not corn, I'd say....

Chokomisfits: SIP
Fifth Element:
Gypsy Kings: SIP
Maple Sporks: SIP
One Short Straw:
Phoenix Rising: SIP no build?
Plastic Ducks: SIP or EGH third turn?
T’dr’duzk b’hazg t’t: PH
TNT: PH
Unusual Suspects: PH build barracks?
XTeam:

Also, did the save you look at involve pre-slavery saves? If so, they settled PH and already switched to slavery (they whipped as obvious by score)

yea I've got zero problems with the maps.

very interesting game so far. And I'm glad I got my turn in before our plan became malleable hehe :)

Also, did the save you look at involve pre-slavery saves? If so, they settled PH and already switched to slavery (they whipped as obvious by score)
Good point. They lose a culture turn with anarchy. Good catch, dima! :goodjob:

I realized right after I posted that they wouldn't need to waste a turn if they did go back to the corn.

So far, team, we are doing great!! I like our opening and it is bonus that we are not isolated. With diplomacy in the game it will be way more interesting.

We have 'til Wednesday to discuss and debate, then fizbankovi will post a plan based on our decisions.

Has anyone else met barbs around this time up to turn 75?
@Windfury, you've now had your first ever SGOTM turnset? is that right? You did great! :cool:

In the same post enKage discusses expenses. But I just discovered that there are no colonial costs due to "No Vassal States". I guess the logic is

No Vassal States => no colonies => no colonial expenses

I created a couple of games (with and without the "No Vassal States" option) to check this. I assume enKage did not use that option when he did his tests. But it would be nice to have this verified.

-jj-

JesusChrist! I forgot we play with No vassals !!

As for new city: I can'timagine better place than NE from stone, especially as we dont have mysticism yet (and I suppose will not have it for some time)

JesusChrist! I forgot we play with No vassals !!

As for new city: I can'timagine better place than NE from stone, especially as we dont have mysticism yet (and I suppose will not have it for some time)

Quick question: If it is emperor, why Vicki has only one city? Possibilities:
1) She has been presettled and given GLH
2) She also starts on 1-city-island
Am I right or again forgot about sth?

1) I don't think she has the GLH.
2) I think on Emperor the AI start with 1 settler, 2 scouts and 2 archers.

But one AI was presettled with the GLH.

What does No Vassals do to the maintenance costs from your earlier post? Our first city will have a 4.5 distance from cap. What is the next distance that increases this? Does Epic speed change anything? It would be good to know for planning and settling.

oh yes I forgot, rarely play above Monarch, doubled settler is on deity only.

As for maintainane costs: i'm pretty sure they change continously, so each tile further increases costs. The NE tile from stones will cost only 1 gpt, but only with pop1. City with pop 2 will cost us 2gpt/

Need to check if the tile N from stone will effect only 1 gpt even with pop2 - but not today :] I have to get up early (work :(:( ) But even if it is cheaper, having fish from the start is worth more.

No vassals means we don't propably get colonies costs

About noon Pacific time this afternoon it was very busy on our thread:
Now we could really use some better chat program than just posting in this forum.
I am happy communicating on the forum. It’s part of the experience to anticipate an answer and have a few cross posts. When it was busy today it would be tea time on Prince Edward Island and 8 o’clock at night in London.
- :beer: - WEEKDAYS MEETING TIME 20:00GMT - :beer:
-------

One way to avoid too many cross posts is to preview your post and scroll down to see if someone has recently posted. The green light will tell you someone is online. I’d like to see lots of people participate. It’s part of the learning experience and that is what the SGOTM is about - the chance to collaborate, test your ideas and learn how to get the best out of the position.

-------
Know some good forum tips? I'm being pretty elementary for the new posters.

Synopsis:

We’ve agreed to settle ne of the stone and keep with our build plan up to turn 75. The game resumes Wednesday. A slight alteration to the plan will be needed as we efficiently scout our way back to deliver the warrior in Elba before the natives become restless. By turn 75 another settler will be ready.

The test save in post #288 should be useful for this turnset if you wanted to test out scouting. In the real save we’ve met Victoria coming from the east on turn 61 - 2475bc.

For now the test game has us isolated so the map has to be updated to reflect our new situation. If you know World Builder it can be done, I’m sure. It’s even possible to give someone else the GLH. In the test game England has it.

post#124 for dima’s PPP in Excel; post#143 for jj’s text file -

The first turnset occurred during a server outage posts#221 and #227 Windfury’s turnset was without incident and the summary is in post#272. The latest turnset is post#315....

Our map makers are updating to version 1.1 :goodjob:

to be continued......

To get us started, I've updated our plan with what we now know, and included suggestions for turns up to 75. These suggestions are ofc up to discussion, and the file includes some questions that I just haven't looked into yet. Oh, and this file has been made from paper calculations, so it should be verified in a test game for those that have one.

Spoiler :
Code:
Tech path:	Pottery - Writing - Alphabet
Build sequence:	WB - Granary - WB - Settler

Turn	Size	Food	Prod		Tech/Note

63	3	25/39	15/45		Settles moves to Stone hills, Worker chops. Elba: build WB3 (with chop). MM: clamx2/corn (11f, 2p)
64	3	36/39	0/45 (WB4)	Found City2 1NE of Stone hills -> build LH, Elba begins WB4 (2 overflow). MM City2: fish (2f, 1p)
					Galley moves N+N, Worker moves into Galley, WB3 moves to City2's Fish, Warrior SE.
65	4	8/42	4/45		Galley moves S+S, Worker moves onto Stone hills, Warrior NW. MM Elba: corn/clamx2/mine (10f, 5p)
66	4	18/42	9/45		Warrior into Galley, Galley N+NW, Worker mines, WB3 improves Fish (City2 will grow in 6 turns).
67	4	28/42	14/45		Galley SW, Warrior onto 1-tile island.
68	4	38/42	19/45		Warrior into Galley, Galley returns tile 1S of Elba.
69	5	6/45	0/90 (Granary)	*Pottery* -> Writing, Elba: switch to Granary (WB4 24/45) MM Elba: corn/clamx2/minex2 (9f, 8p, 0 unhealthy!)
					Warrior into Elba, Galley explores?
70	3	15/39	8/90		Elba 2-pop whip granary. MM Elba: corn/clamx2 (11f, 2p)
71	3	26/39	24/45		Granary done -> WB4 (10 overflow). (Mine outside City2 done.)
72	3	37/39	36/45		Worker to desert hills? City2 grows to size 2 and either whips LH or uses Fish + Stone mine.
73	4	28/42	38/45		MM Elba: corn/clamx2/mine (10f, 5p)
74	4	38/42	43/45		
75	5	27/45	0/149 (Settler)	Elba: WB4 done (3 overflow) -> build Settler (9 turns) MM Elba: corn/clamx2/minex2 (9f, 8p)

This is perfect timing for Elba to grow to size 5 again (unhappiness from first whip ends the same turn).

@Windfury, you've now had your first ever SGOTM turnset? is that right? You did great! :cool:

Yep it was, so Yay! And I didn't screw it up, but I had an excellent plan to follow.. let's see how it goes when there will be much more to keep track of. :D

Here is fizbankovi's test game for 2425bc

>TEST_GAME_2425bc<

A thought about test games:
-is it necessary that our game reflect the AI involvement in our game?
-what if we (or one of us) just used a test game where we are isolated and the AI would be unknown and the teching would be on our own....
-my reasoning is that diplomatic relationships and who we meet are all chancey, dependent on quite random circumstances. In our test game is it useful to make trades based on an entirely different RNG?
-if we use the map just to figure our way to the best expansion getting the best sites, we could then apply our streamlined moves to the real game.

All we need is an updated map based on jj's map of the hidden territory. I or anyone who wants to learn can edit the tiles for resources, etc.

I don't know if the above test game reflects meeting Victoria. If so, then those who wish to test that game will have AI interaction. If the idea of upgrading the isolated map interests anyone, I'll update the tiles we know with all our new information.
@fizban - what are the details of your map - AI contact(?), totally new(?).... you don't have to give away any spoilers, just a general idea.

Then when we finally have at least a confirmed outline of the map and the AI location, we could build a new map for the age of domination/conquest and have a map as close to the real game as we can.

Thoughts?

Comments about justjohn's updated text file in post #355: :goodjob:

- all the Elba improvements are pretty much unchanged, just a 1f improvement in food amounts...
- when the galley and warrior return, the galley could round the sw peninsula, as a second choice but not much to be learned.
- I would think the exact galley moves after turn 69 to turn 75 would be good to test. How much fog can be uncovered in those 6 turns? Which tiles are important to de-fog?

Everything else looks good to me. Second galley soon, though?

Now that we are not alone, a wb east (Magellan East) is imperative and should we meet someone from the west, then Magellan West (wb5?). Otherwise one work boat scout east should be enough. I doubt we can circumnavigate before Caravels but.......

Map v.1.1
@jj - can you use the path of the Magellan East work boat to map the surrounding area? And if so, is there an optimum n/s distance to follow?
- it would be nice to explore that northern island soon.

- City 3 -
Where is the most logical third city going to go? --- the two tile island with clam sw or the single island or do we chance a trip north?

Figuring this might help determine our best de-fog path for the six turns of nearby exploration.

Comments about justjohn's updated text file in post #355: :goodjob:

- all the Elba improvements are pretty much unchanged, just a 1f improvement in food amounts...

Yes, since the Fish gives +1 health.

Map v.1.1
@jj - can you use the path of the Magellan East work boat to map the surrounding area? And if so, is there an optimum n/s distance to follow?

Tiles far away from explored territory can only be "seen" using a wide zoom, making it hard to distinguish different elevation. So there is a limit to how far away I can "see". From the current map, you can see that I can map tiles at least 7 tiles away in N/S-direction and 11 tiles away in E/W-direction. I can manage the same along an exploring work boats path, at least.

Where is the most logical third city going to go? --- the two tile island with clam sw or the single island or do we chance a trip north?

Figuring this might help determine our best de-fog path for the six turns of nearby exploration.

We have more than six turns. Elba will start producing a Settler on turn 75, and it will not be done until turn 84 (unless we whip some, but I think it will be better to produce one and then maybe whip another one shortly afterwards).

Yes, since the Fish gives +1 health.
Good. I shoulda' seen that.

Tiles far away from explored territory can only be "seen" using a wide zoom, making it hard to distinguish different elevation. So there is a limit to how far away I can "see". From the current map, you can see that I can map tiles at least 7 tiles away in N/S-direction and 11 tiles away in E/W-direction. I can manage the same along an exploring work boats path, at least.
So a little diversity in path, like a long zigzag might reveal the most?

We have more than six turns. Elba will start producing a Settler on turn 75, and it will not be done until turn 84 (unless we whip some, but I think it will be better to produce one and then maybe whip another one shortly afterwards).
So we'd have about 16 turns for local exploration. That is great. Can we keep our solitary galley close enough to defend against a barb galley? I know, worry, worry.... :crazyeye: But this is the only catastrophe which could crush our plans. :eek:

I notice that the latest save posted above, has us at turn 7/750. I read that this and other things can be edited in a text editor to reflect our game. Is this important?

On running through the moves I discovered on Turn 71 that the mine for stone still has 6 turns. Was the worker to chop forest rather than mine? (Turn 68 - worker mines)

Top Bottom