Polystralia and Hutama info

GoodSarmatian

Jokerfied Western Male
So, apparently I was wrong when I thought they would reveal Kozlov next (or mayb we'll get two leaders this week).

Here's a new Gameplanet interview with info about Polystralia and Hutama.

Am I the only one who thinks this guy looks a bit like Littlefinger from Game of Thrones ?

Q: How does Polystralia fit into the new political landscape? What makes them unique?

Miller: After The Great Mistake, Polystralia became the food source of the whole world. They figured out very clever methods of agriculture and were able to produce lots and lots of food for people who weren’t able to do it themselves, and in doing so made quite a lot of money. In terms of their gameplay function in Beyond Earth, they are the economy Civ, and they tend to favour policies and gameplay tactics that make them lots of cash.

So if you’ve playing against the Polystralia faction, if you’re next to them, it might benefit you to establish trade with them early because they’re going to be making a lot of money.

McDonough: Another thing that they really embody is that of all the factions in the game they probably represent the greatest combination of cultures from our current world. So they’re very much building a Civ of international cooperation. As an opponent, they’re more likely to be friendly and more likely to be collaborators in efforts you’re working on, and that sets them apart from some of the more inherently hostile factions like Brasilia and especially ARC, the American Reclamation Corporation.

"...and especially ARC..."
Well, now we know who the two bigest troublemakers will be.

I'm a little disappointed that we haven't seen any lore snippets released that give us more information about Polystralia as a society, but it's still pretty cool to see Hutama at last.

I have no idea which ideology I think Hutama naturally prefers. I can take a pretty good guess at what most of the leaders might prefer, but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring him out. He seems like the most likely candidate for favouring Harmony so far (aside from Samatar).

Well I'll be darned - I can't say that there is anything I dislike about Polystralia. I can't wait for the lore piece on him! Excuse me as I burst out into a song worthy of Polystralia.

Link to video.

As far as the leaders go, he’s also one of the youngest, and probably one of the most interesting to converse with because he has this very extroverted, charismatic way of speaking.

So basically, Australian Accent confirmed. Hype.

Funnily, "Hutama" in Arabic mythology is hell for liars and swindlers. Another Dandolo?

So far, Polystralia and Franco-Iberia seem like the factions I will be most likely to play.

I'm a little disappointed that we haven't seen any lore snippets released that give us more information about Polystralia as a society, but it's still pretty cool to see Hutama at last.

I have no idea which ideology I think Hutama naturally prefers. I can take a pretty good guess at what most of the leaders might prefer, but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring him out. He seems like the most likely candidate for favouring Harmony so far (aside from Samatar).

I think the interview gives a bit of background. I think it is a fair guess that the Polystralian society would be liberal, democratic and media oriented, with a high standard of living - a sort of idealised version of a today's Western democracy. It is probably least likely to have some sort of an Orwellian vibe to it. But I am pretty sure we will get the feature/blog post about Hutama shortly to give us more insights.

I also agree with you that he and Samatar are probably the ones "most likely to choose Harmony" - but Hutama seems to be to me equally likely to choose Purity or even Supremacy (a "virtual reality" society), too.

The prayers of the slavic fans seem to have been answered. The FD did not make the list of the "people with the pointiest sticks" and comes somewhere after ARC and Brasilia.

Yay for Cosmonaut Koslov. Poland can has into space! :lol:

Finally some faction news!
So when I suspected that we'll see Hutama first based on the artwork shown, I was correct. :)

The prayers of the slavic fans seem to have been answered. The FD did not make the list of the "people with the pointiest sticks" and comes somewhere after ARC and Brasilia.

Yay for Cosmonaut Koslov. Poland can has into space! :lol:

Maybe they will be very aggressive but also so inept not to pose a threat. :p

Anyway, maybe I am wrong, but I have a feeling the Slavic Federation is shaping to be the faction with the most oppressive/bleak society. Because we already got pretty much every other sci-fi society trope in the other factions.

Why do he remind me of Mandarin in Marvel comics :lol: (not in the film)

So quasi-Caucasian wealthy man end up lead the Polystralia in the seedling, what a twist. Some might hope to see more tanned leader while I guess this is valid Indonesian white man.

If Hutama are celebrity (as in the article, question about him), What is Elodie?

About Slavic Fed., I rather have faith in Gagarin-esque version of it.

Maybe they will be very aggressive but also so inept not to pose a threat. :p

Anyway, maybe I am wrong, but I have a feeling the Slavic Federation is shaping to be the faction with the most oppressive/bleak society. Because we already got pretty much every other sci-fi society trope in the other factions.

The devs have buried small hints in every faction description that can make them look oopressive and bleak if that's your head canon. Franco-Iberia looks to me like the typical liberal democracy, similar to a modern European country, and there are people on this forum who have got into their heads that it's "a tightly controlled society" without any free speech just because Elodie wrote there are good and bad ideas.

ARC: A quasi-state controlled by a corporation is a classical cyberpunk dystopia. They can be Orwellian or not, but they're typically opressive.

Kavithan Protectorate: A cult masquerading as a country. There's something very creepy about the blog entry of a man who goes to India to expose Kavitha as a fraud and suddenly buys into the whole thing.

Brasilia: A military super power that sends mostly soldiers into the first colnization mission. Rejinaldo mentions in his speech that everything that's put into the seeding project is to the detriment -and will lead to many deaths- of the Brazilians left on Earth. Just think about what kind of society can pull something like this off without having to worry about public opinion.

He’s the closest of any of the leaders to what you might call a celebrity. He has a television show, and is known as an international figure before he becomes an official of the Polystralian state.
Wasn't Elodie a celebrity too?

Wasn't Elodie a celebrity too?

Different kinds of celebrities I guess. Elodie strikes me as a public intellectual. Somebody who isn' much in the news but who you'd see occasionally on political talk shows. Hutama may be a talk show host, but we don't really know much about him

Elodie is the high culture to Hutama's pop culture.

I'm thinking Elodie is going to look down her nose at Hutama. Of course, she probably looks down her nose at everybody. :lol:

I'm definitely liking Hutama. I've always liked econ factions. It looks like he is a "nice Morgan".

This reinforces the problems the great mistake had
- it significantly hurt agriculture in the US and Europe(exporters)
As well as China and India (big producers if not big exporters)

Yeah, Elodie is closer to the likes of Sartre, Chomsky or Vidal.

As for Gagarinesque SFed, I don't know any more - given that now Hutama and not Fielding is the "money" faction, I'm thinking they are shaping ARC to be the "exploration/expansion" faction (colonists and conquistadors) so wouldnt a Gagarinesque SFed be too close to that as a concept?

Yeah, Elodie is closer to the likes of Sartre, Chomsky or Vidal.

As for Gagarinesque SFed, I don't know any more - given that now Hutama and not Fielding is the "money" faction, I'm thinking they are shaping ARC to be the "exploration/expansion" faction (colonists and conquistadors) so wouldnt a Gagarinesque SFed be too close to that as a concept?

I think ARC is more 'expansive development' faction. (Workers and settlers)
SF would be more 'exploration' factions. (Explorers and satellites)

Top Bottom