RFC Classical World

rev 203

many map changes, particularly in India, China, Mongolia, Japan, Ethiopia and Oman

there will probably be a lot of balance changes coming in the next few days

@ Sitalkas: I will have a look at your Greece changes today

rev 204 added the new map spreadsheet

rev 207

map changes in Greece

moved resources around Xian and Luoyang, added a 2nd starting Qin of Jincheng city in place of the settler

Qin UU now a spearman replacement that starts with city raider

Qin no longer start with Military Drill

right now the Qin are probably too hard, I will be making more changes soon

The Byzantine UHV was incredibly hard. The amount of free units the Arabs get in Africa is insane.

The Arabs are supposed to overwhelm and beat you, and generally speaking, the Byzantine game is all about being beset on all sides by an incredible amount of enemy troops. The only UHV goal you need to accomplish after the Arab spawn is just that a majority of civs are Christian, which you could very well accomplish even if the Arabs conquered their way up to the walls of Constantinople! Civ IV is not the best framework to model large, often tribal, invasions, so there is going to be some "gaming" in the system, such as all the spawning.

Last time I played with Sassanids (June regular download) i was able to defeat the Arabs with a dozen Sassanid UU and some Marksmen in both Levant and Egyptian spawns. But I don't know if the number of free units was increased in last revisions...

It helps because the Vandals and Axum are some of the few civilizations that normally stay Christian and don't switch to Dynastic Cult. But at least you can wait until the last few turns and make them switch then. I probably would have had an easier time if I vassalized more asian civilizations that were isolated and safe from collapse. The secret negotiation feature is incredibly helpful.

Also as the visigoths the UHV for having 70 piety, 5,000 culture and being stable is checked already at the beginning even though I definitely don't have those first two. And I'm not aware of any way to check piety, I don't see it on the religion or victory screens.

And the Chinese Civil War around 214AD seems to be making the game crash. I'm not sure if it's just me or the save but I can't reach 214AD for some reason as Axum. Latest revision, 209. I also tried with an earlier revision and it still crashed. Is there anything I can do? I reloaded an old Kushan save and it happened again at 214AD during the civil war.

...and yet again theres another problem. The first UHV (5000 gold) for Vandals won't be completed even though I had 5000 before 500AD and around 6000 at 500AD.

My strategy for the Byzantines is :

Get at least 4 vassals and spread Christianity to their cities, then ask them to adapt state religion and Christianity by offering them techs as gifts!

Then let the massacre begin! Build an army of your UU and some heavy catapults and some lancers and roam around the map destroying every civ that is not a christian until you meet the requirements!

You will need at least half of the civs alive + 1 to be Christians to win, so It is easier if there are less civs around ;)

My strategy for the Byzantines is :

Get at least 4 vassals and spread Christianity to their cities, then ask them to adapt state religion and Christianity by offering them techs as gifts!

Then let the massacre begin! Build an army of your UU and some heavy catapults and some lancers and roam around the map destroying every civ that is not a christian until you meet the requirements!

You will need at least half of the civs alive + 1 to be Christians to win, so It is easier if there are less civs around ;)
Thats actually exactly what i did do. I vassalized whomever didn't change to state religion even when Pleased and killed some civs like Korea and Sri Vijaya. I ended up killing the Lombards because they wouldn't convert or vassalize for some reason. In the ended I got 8/7 which is why the arabs ruined the victory for me because they killed the Vandals which dropped it to 7/7. I was able to salvage things by reloading a save and letting all my african cities get captured and just focusing on protecting the vandals. But I think it would have been easier if I vassalized Korea and the Kalinka respawn and just spread Christianity to one of their cities (as they usually had only 1 or 2 at that point) but I didn't start using spys to vassalize until midway though my Byzantium game.

for the Arabs, if you have Axum of Meroe as vassals, you can send all your offensive units in their cities, along with some carrier ships and wait for them to spawn.

When they spawn and take your cities, load your units to your ships and unload them just outside their poorly defended cities in the Arabian peninsula. Also have Some units somewhere in Mesopotamia/ Syria/Cyprus to reclaim the Levant asap!! Dont have any units fortified in the flip zone!

Also as the visigoths the UHV for having 70 piety, 5,000 culture and being stable is checked already at the beginning even though I definitely don't have those first two. And I'm not aware of any way to check piety, I don't see it on the religion or victory screens.

And the Chinese Civil War around 214AD seems to be making the game crash. I'm not sure if it's just me or the save but I can't reach 214AD for some reason as Axum. Latest revision, 209. I also tried with an earlier revision and it still crashed. Is there anything I can do? I reloaded an old Kushan save and it happened again at 214AD during the civil war.

...and yet again theres another problem. The first UHV (5000 gold) for Vandals won't be completed even though I had 5000 before 500AD and around 6000 at 500AD.

Is anyone else encountering these issues on the latest version? I don't know if it's just me with these issues or if everyone will experience them.

Then I'm pretty sure theres something wrong on my side then. But I can't imagine what because the chinese civil wars have never caused a crash for me before. Is there a way to find out whats causing the problem?

I got the python exception in the image. I don't really understand it though.

Top Bottom