Capital of the World

Keirador

Deity
The thread about where a European political capital should be located got me thinking. . .

If the world ever forms a federal government, where should its capital be located? Right now, I suppose the world's capital should be considered as New York City, that being the headquarters of the UN and the center of world trade. Should we keep it that way? Pick a new city? Make a new city? Defeat the idea of a capital by having representatives teleconference with each other? What say you?

New York sounds like a good choice although in many ways it is already.

It would be cooler if it was Rome, but that's only because Im an Roman history freak.

storealex said:
It would be cooler if it was Rome, but that's only because Im an Roman history freak.
Anyhoo, I'd say we create a new city of Babel in Rome's centre (where the Vatican used to be), arranged vertically in a gigantic tower.

It'd be worth it just to see the look of the fundies' faces! ;)

Maybe we could build a gigantic floating city to house governmental buildings and representatives, to continuously ply the seas to avoid geographic jealousy- a Capital Ship!

New York is already the center of the universe, so it is only fitting that it be the world capital. Of course we could take a lesson from the Aussies and make it another city.

Why must we take a lesson form the Aussies? You're American, right? WE DID IT TOO!

I think New York is a good choice.

If we are going to choose historical cities then we should choose Istanbul. But New York is good for now I guess.

How about we locate in space? Making a world capital will be a very divisive issue, even if it's mainly just for prestige. If I had any say, though, then I'd make it in Ethiopia. Maybe Addis Abeba, Gonder, or Axum. ;)

Yom said:
How about we locate in space?
Sure, Minneapolis is in space!
Yom said:
Making a world capital will be a very divisive issue, even if it's mainly just for prestige. If I had any say, though, then I'd make it in Ethiopia. Maybe Addis Abeba, Gonder, or Axum. ;)
Why?

lol make it San Francisco *cough*Star Trek*cough*

Why would there even be a need for a capital? Technology that is here and that will be in a short time allows people to communicate over great distances every bit as efficiently as standing face to face. It's only that the prices are still high and implementations less efficient now, that we don't see the likes of "virtual parliaments".

I would put it someplace really wretched with the hope that it would help weed out those who went into politics for reasons other than public servce. Saskatoon perhaps.

Aphex_Twin said:
Why would there even be a need for a capital?Technology that is here and that will be in a short time allows people to communicate over great distances every bit as efficiently as standing face to face. It's only that the prices are still high and implementations less efficient now, that we don't see the likes of "virtual parliaments".
Virtual parliment is one thing, but what about all the other agencies with thousands and thousands of people in it? It's not just a few hundred politicians.

Drewcifer said:
I would put it someplace really wretched with the hope that it would help weed out those who went into politics for reasons other than public servce. Saskatoon perhaps.
That's still not going to eliminate bribery and hunger for power. I don't think it would really help at all. People don't get voted senator because they want to live in Washington DC.

Top Bottom