Bugs/Error reports

I have a pretty basic problem. I downloaded MOO2 4i, installed it correctly and now am missing all text after startup:confused:

No text in main menu and all sub menus displayed, and when I start a game (by click on invisible buttons) still no text. On the civ presentation screen first shown after starting a game all text is missing except the "history" stuff in the bottom box, which is displayed correctly. After that, still all text missing (planets, units, options, buttons...)

Any help appreciated, mod does look quite interesting:scan:

EDIT: I have a german version, but doubt that's the problem, as the text xmls are formated okay for all languages as far as I can see...

No, you guess it right, the german is the problem.
Change it to english, and you'll get the text.

The problem with the text xmls is, that, if you forget one language tag somewhere in file, it's possible you'll get no text at all.

Whenever I go into a city-screen I get a python exception:

"Can't find enum for type tag BUILDING_MANUFACTURING_PLANT."

Only, I keep getting it for, oh, forever. After I click on one, another one appears behind it.

Is anyone else getting this? I'm running MOO2Civ Patch 4j- I first installed MOO2Civ Patch 4i a while ago, if that helps.

Huh. Interesting.

No way of autofixing? I assume you don't use fancy xlsm like FfH does, thus avoiding the problem of tag-errors altogether?

But I'm fine if there's such an easy fix :) .

Oh, and I get the same error as TC01 gets...:( Worked around it by hiding python exceptions. 2 bugs before I even could start playing, cool :crazyeye: ;)

That's not what I mean. I am aware that there is no german translation of MOO-mod (as stated, I quickly checked the xml ;) )

I mean it should be possible to prevent xml code errors from happening in the first place, shouldn't it? Especially if it's only caused by some unclosed tags ;) .

But doesn't matter really, I just played for the first time (and got bashed by barbarian aliens steamrolling in with super battleships :blush: ), seems I really understimated them...

Really stunning graphics though, a refreshingly different and innovative city management system (impressive what the Civ4 Engine is capable of when handled by original thinking modders).
I think I might travel to space now more often, leaving my beloved Orbis mod for some hours now and then ;) .

EDIT: And of course thanks for the quick and nice answers and support! Where did I leave my manners...:blush:

First off, MOO2Civ only supports English version. Second, most graphics are currently from Final Frontier mod by Jon Shafer. About the python exception(s): I realize there are still several; for now I suggest turning python eceptions off. Also, barbarians will be brutal if you have Agressive Barbarians on, yes. Lastly, welcome senshi and thanks for the feedback.;)

I've been playing this game out a fair while, and suddenly none of my star systems were allowed to build any buildings... I really don't know whether this is a bug or something I just wasn't expecting... does anyone know why this happened? I can keep on playing as usual, but every star system building a building displayed a "such and such cannot keep building such and such" message... I can build all the units I want, just no buildings... any theories?

How do we turn python exceptions off? This looks like an interesting mod (I loved MOO so thanks!!!) but have no idea how to turn off the exceptions and without these turned off the mod unplayable.

And just so it's clear. I simply downloaded the Mod from the link (patch I) then downloaded Patch J and installed both in my Mods directory. I'm playing the Steam version of Civ4 BTS - I've never used any debug mode before (and when I check under game status the use debug checkbox thing is not checked). When I start a new game - if I open the first city it brings up the exception 10-20 times making the mod unplayble.

Dunqan

Check for the Config.ini file in the BtS main directory, look for HidePythonExceptions = [ should be]1.

I've been playing this game out a fair while, and suddenly none of my star systems were allowed to build any buildings... I really don't know whether this is a bug or something I just wasn't expecting... does anyone know why this happened? I can keep on playing as usual, but every star system building a building displayed a "such and such cannot keep building such and such" message... I can build all the units I want, just no buildings... any theories?

That is a bug I thought was well and truly fixed, so I have to ask: what version are you playing?

I got tired of the bug and decided to try and fix it myself. Below is the code in CvFinalFrontierEvents.py where the Manufacturing Plant problem occurs (in getBuildingCostMod.)The red is what I've changed. In order to illustrate this, I merely commented out the "iBuildingManufacturingPlant" line rather than delete it. A test revealed that no python exceptions occur on selecting a city.

Code:
	def getBuildingCostMod(self, iPlayer, iCityID, iBuilding):

iCostMod = -1

pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer)
		pCity = pPlayer.getCity(iCityID)

# Buildings already present in this Star System? If so, cost ramps up for each additional
		if (pCity.getNumRealBuilding(iBuilding) > 0):

fCostMod = 2.0

# Special cases for higher cost
			iBuildingTrainingCompound = CvUtil.findInfoTypeNum(gc.getBuildingInfo,gc.getNumBuildingInfos(),'BUILDING_TRAINING_COMPOUND')
			iBuildingFactory = CvUtil.findInfoTypeNum(gc.getBuildingInfo,gc.getNumBuildingInfos(),'BUILDING_FACTORY')
[COLOR="Red"]			#iBuildingManufacturingPlant = CvUtil.findInfoTypeNum(gc.getBuildingInfo,gc.getNumBuildingInfos(),'BUILDING_MANUFACTURING_PLANT')[/COLOR]
			iBuildingStarFortress = CvUtil.findInfoTypeNum(gc.getBuildingInfo,gc.getNumBuildingInfos(),'BUILDING_STAR_FORTRESS')
[COLOR="red"]			aiIncreasedCostList = [iBuildingTrainingCompound, iBuildingFactory, iBuildingStarFortress][/COLOR]
			if (iBuilding in aiIncreasedCostList):
				fCostMod = 3.0

iBuildingCost = gc.getBuildingInfo(iBuilding).getProductionCost()

iExtraCostMod = int(fCostMod * iBuildingCost) - iBuildingCost
			iExtraCost = iExtraCostMod * pCity.getNumRealBuilding(iBuilding)

iCostMod = ((iBuildingCost + iExtraCost) * 1.0) / iBuildingCost
			iCostMod = int(iCostMod * 100)

#printd("iCostMod")
		#printd(iCostMod)

return iCostMod

Obviously, you did right; Manufact. Plant and Training Compound aren't actual buildings in MOO2Civ (they were renamed at some point), resulting in python exceptions if these are turned on. I'll include your fix in the next patch.;)

Obviously, you did right; Manufact. Plant and Training Compound aren't actual buildings in MOO2Civ (they were renamed at some point), resulting in python exceptions if these are turned on. I'll include your fix in the next patch.;)

Hmm. I don't get an error if I leave the Training Compound code in. Should this be commented out and deleted from aiIncreasedCostList as well?

:confused: That's odd... I'd have to check on my end. But I'd say since Training Compound is not an actual building, go ahead. (I thought you'd already done this before your previous post? That's what I understood anyway.)

:confused: That's odd... I'd have to check on my end. But I'd say since Training Compound is not an actual building, go ahead. (I thought you'd already done this before your previous post? That's what I understood anyway.)

It's the Space Academy. It was renamed in the text displayed to the player but not the tags the game uses. Probably to avoid changing the name in several locations when the player isn't going to know the difference.

No, if you look at the code you can see that iBuildingTrainingCompound is still there.

Was there a new name for the Manufacturing Plant as well, or was the building just cut?

I downloaded whatever the most recent version was, and was playing it on 3.19 so that sort of implies I also got patch I doesn't it? The game worked fine for at least a couple hundred turns... I don't know if the bug would repeat or not, I might just start a new game and see what happens... should I send my save game or something? I've never done that before, is it as simple as I expect it should be?

No, if you look at the code you can see that iBuildingTrainingCompound is still there.

Was there a new name for the Manufacturing Plant as well, or was the building just cut?

It's that the point I was making? The game still identifies it as BUILDING_TRAINING_COMPOUND. It's just the text displayed to the played that's different.

The changes were made before I started patching, but Manufact. Plant (FF) might just be the same as Automated Factory (MOO2Civ); the building wasn't removed.

I downloaded whatever the most recent version was, and was playing it on 3.19 so that sort of implies I also got patch I doesn't it? The game worked fine for at least a couple hundred turns... I don't know if the bug would repeat or not, I might just start a new game and see what happens... should I send my save game or something? I've never done that before, is it as simple as I expect it should be?

It may just be the buildings python exception being discussed at the moment... try what I suggested in post #30. If that makes no difference a save game posted will be appreciated. (Make a save file of a turn before it happens and post it as an attachment.)

All right. Now I'm confused. I was playing just now and had the same problem with no buildings... if I captured Actacus everything stopped working. It was a reliable fault. Then in the process of getting civfanatics open I quit the game... when I went back to make sure I had the right save file, the bug didn't happen again. I could send the file along anyway, but this seems to be a rather temperamental bug... possibly fixable by restarting the program?

Would you like the save file anyway?

... and just out of curiosity, why do titans have so much strength? It seems like they should be weaker than battleships... battleships are still worth using since they take half as much production, but it seems like a funny way of balancing them. I would have made titans weaker, cost a little less production, and make squadron-carrying their primary (only) function... as it is, battleships are useless if you have infinite or effectively infinite production. That being said, I've never made a mod before, have no idea what I'm doing, and I absolutely defer to the experts here.

Top Bottom