Advice Request, BNW Priv Game in Progress

Alch

Chieftain
Thought I might open this to the floor, and see what ideas/tips you guys have. I'm in a multiplayer game with 3 other friends that we play about twice a week, and here is roughly where things are at the moment. I'm not going to be able to give every detail of this game (because it will take forever), but hopefully I can give enough to paint a picture of who things are progressing and suggestions to shift things in my favour.

Human Players:
Greece (Me, Leading Tech by about 3-4, Fairly Focused territory with high populations and city reach)
Iroquois (Very Experienced Player, Tendency to Sprawl and Maintain Large Army, 2nd Best Tech)
India (Experienced but Docile, little army, 3rd Best Tech)
Russia (Inexperienced Player, Virtually No Army, Bad Tech, More than double income of everyone else)

AI:
Byzantine (Fairly small and insignificant, useful for buying votes)
Venice (Fairly small and insignificant, useful for buying votes)
America (All but dead, lands taken by Russia and Iroquois)

The map is randomised, can't remember which settings, but it's mostly temperate green. There are 3 continents position from left to right (A, B, C), and access to all of them via ocean. A and B are medium sized (space for 6-8 large cities), C is large (space for 20 large cities)

Continent A is purely Russian lands (they got a very lucky start position), continent B is a mix of all civs but Greece (me) mostly secondary, conquered lands. Continent C is the main lands for Greece (me), India and Iroquois and a fair few city states. All 3 of us share borders, and Greece (me) and Iroquois have military units running along the borders between us and battleships in the sea that runs above us (it's getting tense).

--

About 20 turns ago I had the vast majority of city states under my control, and dominated World Congress. I have managed to now Embargo India (absolutely crippled their income) and Russia (hasn't made much of a dent). As well as stopping votes I didn't want and generally keep things my way. In doing this I have pushed the other players into an informal loose alliance. Now, they bought out most of my city states and voted tactically so I've lost World Congress control. Russia now has most of the city states (and all the money).

Military, Iroquois matches my forces I think. They have more units, but I have greater tech. We share borders and have a fairly tense arms race standoff going on. A lot of battleships floating about where they shouldn't. Iroquois are unlikely to attacked unless provoked or I show weakness by attacking someone else (I know what he's like). If I turtle and go for a tech victory however, I think he will attack at some point.

Unless I can stop Russia's income (Embargo didn't work), I can't control World Congress which has just turned into the UN. I have a good chance of a tech victory (although no easy source of Alu) because of my tech lead. This is likely to provoke attack though. Culturally, Iroquois is dominating tourism and I cannot compete. My culture is just enough to make a tourism victory probably take too long (I think).

Tech wise, I am a good lead above everyone else although there is heavy spying and congress just passed the 20% bonus to tech's already researched by another civ :( My military units are mostly one tech up of Iroquois and a couple on everyone else. I'm also the only civ to have Nukes currently (10 Uranium). I've not advertised the fact, but it is probably assumed as I completed the Manhattan Project a while ago. I'm hoping the threat of Nukes can be used as a bargaining tool later on.

--

Suggestions? In writing this out, it's made me think more that tech victory is the most achievable. As long as I can make it look to the Iroquois that I am too strong to attack. Any attack against the Iroquois directly is going to be difficult and expensive, and likely to prompt the other civs to wade in against me and tip the balance - although the threat of nukes might help. I have cities position in easy strike range of everyone's capital, and while they may not demolish a city they do hurt and tend to scare people in multiplayer games.

I am tempted to try and capture nearby city states that I can't control anymore, taking votes away from Russia.

This loose alliance against is likely to remain or strengthen if I attack (military or diplomatically) any of them. I'm not sure they'll turn against each other either, frustratingly Russia and India (as people I know) are often quite happy to sit back and keep tilling their farms until someone else wins (usually Iroquois).

Any thoughts people? If anyone shows interest, I can update as things progress.

If you have already had nukes, while other players don't, you should not miss an opportunity to make use this powerful weapon.
Build up several nukes and military units in all your high production cities, then strike the Iroquois as hard as you can. Your purpose in this war should be destruction or seizure of main Iroquois cities that can quickly produce troops. Cripple his hammer output, and the Iroquois won't be able to meddle with your plans for the ultimate victory.

I believe that you have some time to take care of the Iroquois before India and Russia build up their military to attack your nation.

As an update, you were right.

I lost my bottle, and kept building up forces but didn't attack. It got to a point where my army was comfortable bigger and better tech'd than Iroquois.

I finished teching the space techs, and build all but one of the spaceship parts. I was 2 turns from a victory, and Iroquois (who by then had researched and built nukes) obliterated half my lands in a nuclear winter (I think it was 6-8 nukes in one turn). An embargo vote went through as well, killing all my income.

I had become rather too lax (being 2 turns away from victory), and my forces were too spread out so took too long to retaliate. After the initial tactical nuking of my forces, the rest were picked off before they could regroup.

I managed to airlift all my spaceship parts to a remote city I had further away, which saved me for another turn until it was nuked, wiping out every piece.

I have played loads of games with the Iroquois (the human player), and he has never declared war outright - he always waits too long and only ever retaliates. It seems he grew a pair.

I guess I really should grow a pair, and attack sooner and harder. It wasn't the tech level or size of the forces that counted, it was the sheer damage he managed in that first attack turn.

I have played quite a few classical teamers and distinctly remember Poland starting off with enough policies to get a settler right off the bat while all other civs are unable to get that settler until their first policy is earned.

Top Bottom