A devistating loss turned to an epic win.

What are you talking about evenly balanced opponent? IF you have the same attack rating and turn them all on heroic you will in fact get more than 1 attack in a row because now your rating will be much higher than theirs.

lets say we have similar forces. you put all of your people to heroic and leave them there. you get will get a turn. i have my people on fortify. i put mine to heroic and get the next turn. your's are still set to heroic and so they get obliterated. i know you are going to get your turn next, so i go back to fortify.

you even admitted, going to heroic increases my attack, makes it so i get the next turn.

It's never a guarantee which side will get the next attack having the highest rating just gives you a better chance to get the next attack. I've seen the side starting with a slightly smaller army get both of the first 2 attacks and end up with the advantage.

i know the attack is coming. if what you were saying was true, setting your people to heroic would just let you keep attacking. and that super hero civic would be game unbalancing.

That is exactly how it works. If you're power is high enough you will never get attacked. I know the attack is NOT coming. That's why you should use heroic to get over an even match up, but not to get to an even match up.

yep, this is what i have been saying... use heroic to get over so you will get the next attack. if the other person is evenly matched, and already at heroic and staying there, then yes, they will get creamed. you wont get creamed because when they attack you, you are fortified, when you attack them, they are heroic and vulnerable. we are going in circles.

you are saying 'oh well i will just set everyone to heroic so the other person cant attack me so i will keep going and attacking', having a bigger army will do that too. i am not talking about when you have a much bigger army. i am talking about when the forces are evenly balanced or when you have fewer troops(like in the OP here), if you have fewer troops, and you leave your people at heroic, you will get creamed.

starting off with a bigger army will of course give you an advantage, as will the heiji castle and leonardo's workshop.

i know the attack is coming. if what you were saying was true, setting your people to heroic would just let you keep attacking. and that super hero civic would be game unbalancing.

Unfortunately, that is exactly how the game works.

You want to be on heroic to get more attack opportunities by getting an even larger advantage. However, if setting on heroic only evens the odds to 50:50, then you are better off retreating the whole battle.

Everyone on the official civ world forums are already saying that warmongering is the only way to go for quick continuous era wins. You simply have everyone online, chain declare war as each war vote passes to allow you to setup the next war vote. A full 42 era game can be completed in 3 days. As long as you have the military advantage.

yep, this is what i have been saying... use heroic to get over so you will get the next attack. if the other person is evenly matched, and already at heroic and staying there, then yes, they will get creamed. you wont get creamed because when they attack you, you are fortified, when you attack them, they are heroic and vulnerable. we are going in circles.

You keep saying "when they attack" like it's a sure thing that they are going to get in a devastating attack. It seems pretty easy to get a consistent run of hitting your opponent if you have the lead. But let's assume it works it works just like in previous civ games where if one side had 30 and the other has 10 power then the side with 30 has a 75% change each round to do damage. Now unless I'm not understanding you correctly your advocating switching back and forth between heroic and fortify because you know there is an attack coming. But you don't really know it's coming. Playing this way if lets say you are even at 2000 but have the lead 4000 to 2000 using heroic you'd then have a 66% chance of winning that round and doing damage, and you succeed. Then you assume there's an attack coming and switch to fortify and are now 1000 to 2000 and have a 33% chance of winning, and you lose and assume it was a good idea to have everything on fortify. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. Preparing to get hit leads to getting hit. Also, having random chance working in your favor too many times does not mean your "due" for a loss. Winning 66 times with 66% odds does not mean the next 33 will be losses.
Also we seem to be discussing this like all units have to be the same stance at the same time. When I've been in a battle where most of the power is comming from one stack of units I set them to heroic and others to fortify. It seems to distribute damage evenly among stacks and not by the total number of units. So if something is contributing 500 power and something else adds 10, then I set the 10 to fortify so it will take less damage if and when it does. But that is just based on observation. I can't be sure it works exactly like that, but it's a reasonable assumption from what I've seen.
Lastly, if setting heroic gets you twice as many wins but you take twice as much damage when you lose, then it's pretty much a wash and it doesn't matter what stance you had it in. But that is assuming one stack on each side and since sometimes each side can have as many as 26 slots for units, battles are rarely that simple.

Top Bottom