Announcing Civilization Network!

Thank you for taking the time to post it here personally (or at least through an assistant with your permission). I'll be sure to check it out.

I still have a lot of CivIV left to play before I get sick and start screaming for my next fix. I think trying it out on different platforms is a good way to test out different features and experiment for Civ V.

Thank you for my #1 sources of entertainment over the last 20 years (Civ, Colonization, Railroads, Pirates) and updating them all. Railroads needs a lot more material, though.

Finally a post that has more than two comments.

Oh, well this is certainly good news. Although like most of the thread I fervently hope that this is the prelude to the announcement of Civ V (preferably with fanfare, cherubim).

Also, Hi Sid! Post more often. You have an account now. You don't get any excuses.

If not, he will be subjected to the dreaded 'Hello Sid Meier, it appears you haven't posted in several weeks...' message. No-one wants that to happen to you, Sid, we're all acting in your best interest by beseeching you to like us and hang out with us. :twitch:

Oh my god it's Sid! This is a great idea, but facebook... never! Oh and please tell us if you're working on CIV V or not.

There is no :speechless: emoticon? Oh well:

ZOMFG SID MEIER!!!!! :worship::worship::worship:

*End of fanboy fit*

Personally I never use these idiotic social sites like Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc. (Apparently odd for a 15 year old in the USA) but this may actually justify joining a site fueled by idiocy.

*Joins Facebook*

That felt idiotic...

Like the others have said, I'd still rather have a Civ V, but I will take what I can get, and free is great! I've joined the fan club - can't wait to see what comes out of it.

.. and if you ever need a dba let me know :D

Well then, i'll soon be on TV...who wants to commit a suicide with me?
I think there might be repercussions with that.

I think this is great news for Firaxis as well as Civ players and actually better news than Civ V.

Like many people I still play Civ on regular basis (about to start the BOTM right now). Although, I have my own list of things included in Civ V, the reality is my improvement list is pretty small and almost certainly different than others. While I'll very likely buy a Civ V, Civ IV is such a good game that I am not waiting with baited breath for them to announce a new version.

My biggest frustration with Civ is the impracticability of playing with my friends. The game is simply too long for me to commit to playing it especially if I am in a losing position.

I have experimented with many FB games and browser-based strategy games. Frankly all of the existing Facebook games have stupid, inane gameplay yet they have sucked me into playing for a while as well many of game playing friends, and tens of millions of non-gamers. The web browers games like Evony (the one that is advertised with big breasted half naked woman that used to be called Civony before lawsuits were threatened LOL) and and its predecessor Travian are actually 1/2 way interesting mutliplayer strategy games. However they lack Civ's game play and refinement and the Sid Meir's magic.

The market for PC games is stagnant and arguable shrinking everywhere except in Europe. A walk into your local video game store should convince anyone that a new method for selling PC games is needed if companies like Firaxis are to survive and be able make deep strategy like Civ, or even Pirates for PCs. Social networks are clearly one of the few growth areas out there.

While it is nice to be able to play a game like Civ with other players on internet, it is an entirely different experience to be able to play it in an asynchronous fashion not with random folks, but with your real life friends. I am really looking forward to this, and I hope Firaxis makes boatload of money with it.

To be honest, I have very low expectations for a facebook version of civ. I just don't think social networks are suited to civ-style gameplay; and I really don't want to see another game where you get points for recruiting new players.

So this new game idea... it could be really good, but I doubt it. I suspect that it will be little more than an advertising machine for other civ projects.

Hi Sid,

While I don't have any expectations that you will ever read this post, I'm not certain about the wisdom of spending money on a platform that is based around social media and not guaranteed to be here tomorrow. Can't you instead make it in Flash or Silverlight or some other web technology that doesn't require me to be a member of a 3rd party site?

Regardless, thanks for all the games. I've been around since the days of Pirates and Civ1 :)

Love SMAC. Please make more.

It's difficult to see how a Facebook version of Civ could bear anything more than a passing resemblance to PC Civ and still be widely playable. Would you and your Facebook friends want to play against a Deity-level player and his Deity-level Facebook friends in a game that was Civ 4 BtS ported to Facebook? Most of us would be history within 100 turns at most.

Sounds cool, Lord Meier!

I've been a Civ fan since the first time I destroyed 9 Armour units with a single Militia in Civ1 and I'm still going strong. :)

Top Bottom