Civ World analysis by MrGameTheory

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGameTheory

Chieftain
Its an interesting concept, but will not be appealing to vets. It greatly restricts the individual and depends on the team. The game will be crippled by players who have multiple facebook accounts. By restricting each player to a single city players are dependent on the collective power of a team that pays $$$. They should have made a base construct similar to Heroes Kingdom than Evony. If resources are scattered randomly I hope they have cleverly constructed their random resource generator or players will face the same problems they did in occ games. 1 city will mean that players will probably be unable to conquer other cities and instead can only disrupt or pillage other cities at best. The pillaging will be a huge turn off for their target untapped demographic, but the lack of individual reward will be a huge turn off for vets, especially the ones who have no chance of making it into the top 20 on the server. I will bet my weight in gold that there will be only a single logical tec path and I will figure it out within 10 hours of the game's release. The strategy of this game will depend on convincing the team as a whole to go along with a specific strategy. The prime strategy of the game will revolve around finding and forming a team as soon as possible and utilizing collective research to reach key tecs the fastest. With fewer checks and balances players who take an early lead will have a huge advantage because all they will need to do is sit back and defend with minimal focus on offense. This is a turtle strategy type of game that discourages heavy warfare due to a lack of incentive. Like Risk if you focus on attacking a close enemy another enemy across the board will gain a huge advantage by not dealing with warfare, hording resources, and focusing on tecs that multiple economic/research bonuses. Any luck in this type game will create a huge unfair advantage.. so they will be forced to dramatically limit the value of luck. I also foresee a lack of conquest victories. Feeding individual players lots of resources will determine who is ranked the highest on the server, which is super lame. This is the reason why they did not allow any vets into the alpha testing. The mini quests will inevitably prove to be a huge source of grief because the top players on the server will depend on them and the average player will lose out on them because vets will have the best strategies for completing them, but it will still be outclassed by the guys with multiple accounts. There will be heavy manipulation of the auction house that will also prove very troublesome.

Of course people will cry, JUST WAIT FOR THE GAME TO BE RELEASED AND YOU WILL SEE, but like always, I will be correct in my predictions and everyone will inevitably say: "well I guess MGT was right once again". Moderator Action: This is trolling and didn't need to be included in your post.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889 Actually it is anti-trolling. It needed to be included to save us all time by not having to read the countless filler replies that would say in one way or another "just wait for the game to be released and you will see." That statement is a cop-out and I wanted a thread full of meaningful discussion about the data released as opposed to another thread with countless replies that don't actually comment on the data released, but instead present opinions based on nothing.

:D

Moderator Action: PDMA
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

You are assuming that the game is anything other than Cityville with a linear tech tree which depends on your "team". I highly doubt there will be any kind of map, or a chance to pillage resources. You will probably only see your own single city and hope your team does what you want them to in terms of research. My guess is war is going to be simply building units in a large list and sending them all against another civ, where the lists clash and you have a textual outcome with one civ loosing resources and improvements. That's it.

Cityville will keep their userbase, I'm sure.

Of course people will cry, JUST WAIT FOR THE GAME TO BE RELEASED AND YOU WILL SEE, but like always, I will be correct in my predictions and everyone will inevitably say: "well I guess MGT was right once again".

How are your scout and archer armies doing?

Anyway, I think there needs to be far more info about this game for anyone to have a clue what it'll be like.

Obviously there will be a map lol. Sid is frolicking around saying this project is his personal baby and he has put his heart and soul into it, so I know it will not be a flat knock off something else.

The function of the game is to create the first "pure team" style Evony game... In games like Evony and Heroes Kingdom a team is very important, but in Civ world, it is mandatory because of the bonuses provided to the entire team, just for the sake of being a team.

The formula for this type of game is flawed because most players end up becoming drones, but most will not be up for that, especially based on the required time commitment. People will be annoying each other over facebook by sending messages to request players to vote a specific way or do a specific thing, but then all things like tec will be pulled together so your going to have the top players who will focus on the things that raise their ranking, while the average player will be the mule and be left to focus on the things that keep the civilization afloat. This division of labor will cause a lot of grief and it will be further manipulated by loopholes in the auction house.

Or you know, you could enjoy playing the game instead of trying to look for a way to be number one.

It's a facebook game, of course it will not be the pinnacle of gaming industry, and it also shouldn't be. I probably try to look into it and well, enjoy it, but I will not put hours into it to get the best thing.

Instead I look forward to play with other players together, to form teams. After all, it is on a social network, so that should be the main draw, getting away from the God Game that is civilization to a well, "Local Deity" game ;-)

PS: and please, use paragraphs. (you did in your second post, so sorry ;-))

it will be like Age of Empires Online- an insult to human dignity. I wish someone took civ concept and redone the whole thing- maybe like Empire Earth but not in a childish way. I cant wait to assume the command of a murdering jewish tribe raomong the Cannan.

It's reasonable to set expectations very low for a facebook game, because catering to widespread appeal there is more powerful than making a game engaging. Perhaps the ideal would be for veteran players to ignore it, but have it bring new blood into the actual strategy component of the civ franchise.

Obviously there will be a map lol.

Can I quote you on this next time you start a thread?

it will be like Age of Empires Online- an insult to human dignity. I wish someone took civ concept and redone the whole thing- maybe like Empire Earth but not in a childish way. I cant wait to assume the command of a murdering jewish tribe raomong the Cannan.

I've never played Empire Earth, what's it like? Also, changing control from a Civ to a City seems like redoing the whole thing, no?

It's reasonable to set expectations very low for a facebook game, because catering to widespread appeal there is more powerful than making a game engaging. Perhaps the ideal would be for veteran players to ignore it, but have it bring new blood into the actual strategy component of the civ franchise.

I tend to agree with keeping low expectations for a facebook game, but that doesn't mean ignore it. Facebook games can be fun for facebook games. I'm expecting something more simplistic and casual (although, if what they say about Sid Meier making it better than others is true, maybe not), but I also enjoy games that don't have the word "Civilization" on it (although there's Civilization Wars, which has nothing to do with Civilization. I'm not sure how to classify that).

since when was the facebook games crowd made up of civ veterans?

the game is competing with farmville. not the 4x genre

While I have never played AOE online, do you really think its that bad? And how is EE childish? It is an awesome game! (I still play it :))

@Louis XXIV: Empire Earth is like AOE but there are more things, it goes from the prehistoric to the space age in 15 epochs, the lead designer was the same guy as the lead designer for AOE i believe. IMHO, its much better than AOE (At least the first one was, the second was bad, and the third.... do not mention it around an EE fan, it attmepted to appeal to the mass market and failed epically)

For a game that is supposed to redefine social gaming I was expecting a lot more. The fact that players only have 1 city and can't expand or conquer other players is extremely disappointing and goes against the entire franchise for the sake of a commercial appeal it will never achieve. Instead of fighting for the fans and giving them what they want, sid's ego claims the fans will stay and its best to go for new fans, but this is a huge mistake on his part. He is going to lose his fans if he creates another huge blunder like civ v. He needs to go back to the roots of Civ IV and stick with sophisticated games that challenges single players. I am a MP player, but I know the money is in the single player experience. Sid is ruining his own name by continuing down this path. I honestly feel bad for the guy.

only nerds play MP turned based strategy games

Moderator Action: The use of emoticons is greatly helpful in conveyance of tone over the internet. ;)

And your comment added what to the discussion? Most brilliant sir!
Anyway, I'm going to have to adopt a wait and see attitude for this, though I would not at all be surprised to see MrGameTheory being correct, indeed I expect him to, I like to give the benefit of the doubt.

While I have never played AOE online, do you really think its that bad? And how is EE childish? It is an awesome game! (I still play it :))

@Louis XXIV: Empire Earth is like AOE but there are more things, it goes from the prehistoric to the space age in 15 epochs, the lead designer was the same guy as the lead designer for AOE i believe. IMHO, its much better than AOE (At least the first one was, the second was bad, and the third.... do not mention it around an EE fan, it attmepted to appeal to the mass market and failed epically)

Interesting what happens when you stray from your roots. ;)

I too enjoyed Empire Earth. It was fun in its time for sure.

Rise of Nations was also like EE, but it had sinfigantly less epochs, or "ages" as the game called it (I think there was only 8 or 9). It also only went as far as today's tech. It was made by the guy who also made Civ II.

only nerds play MP turned based strategy games
I know many people who think playing civ shows you're a nerd.

I know many people who think playing civ shows you're a nerd.

QFT. Anyway, I actually find this interesting. Surely Sid can put a few surprises into the game to make it at least a little more fun than the average FB drone... Right?

i can see how the idea could appeal to people, but i'll avoid it. i have played several games on facebook and have always been sorely disappointed. also, the endless spamming of game invites is really annoying. i don't see how they would not do this spamming and i will not subject my friends to that nonsense (even though they do it to me :hmm: )

How is it different from Lord of Ultima?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom