1 person - multiple IDs?

mastrude

Paraclete of Kaborka
Supporter
I think the most successful players in both my games are playing multiple IDs simultaneously. No doubt this is a violation of the rules, but it seems a security hole which is impossible to plug. All you need, to do it, is multiple email addresses and multiple Facebook IDs. What do y'all think? Am I right?

Srsly, wtf? Logging in and out of multiple accounts? That must be tedious as hell. And all so you can say "Wooohooo! I cheated my way to being the King of Facebook!" :cringe:

I think the most successful players in both my games are playing multiple IDs simultaneously. No doubt this is a violation of the rules, but it seems a security hole which is impossible to plug. All you need, to do it, is multiple email addresses and multiple Facebook IDs. What do y'all think? Am I right?

No, you're not. This like the whole "people who are doing well must be cheating/buying civbucks". I don't do any of those things. I DO try to find a team of people who will work together, and YES, we are using FB group chat instead of the lame ing-game chat, but no cheating, and who wants multiple accounts? That would just fill up slots in your civ.

No, you're not. This like the whole "people who are doing well must be cheating/buying civbucks". I don't do any of those things. I DO try to find a team of people who will work together, and YES, we are using FB group chat instead of the lame ing-game chat, but no cheating, and who wants multiple accounts? That would just fill up slots in your civ.

I understand your point, but I don't think I said that. Probably you can be very successful without playing multiple ID. I just speculated that some of the highest-ranked players seem to BE playing multiple IDs. I think that unethical practice can help them.

Also, buying CivBucks is not unethical. You may chose not to do it, but it's not "cheating".

There are several Facebook games in which some folks will create multiple Facebook accounts for. Games like Mafia Wars for example, can benefit greatly from having multiple accounts and is one game that I saw a lot of that in.

You are correct in saying that those are the only things you need to be able to do it, and that they don't really have any way to stop it.
As for whether they are doing it or not, there really isn't any way to know that. They could just be friends communicating outside of game, or even spouses, roommates, siblings, etc. It's really not worth worrying about, just enjoy the game.

I'm guessing you aren't in the winning civ, are you?

How would you tell something like this? The only way you could know is if you had server logs or if they started talking among themselves on chat like "Hi me." "Hi me." o_O

How would you tell something like this? The only way you could know is if you had server logs or if they started talking among themselves on chat like "Hi me." "Hi me." o_O

It's a fair question, and I'm not certain I'm right. I'm deducing it from the fact that you message people on one ID and they answer on another. And other weird anomalies in messaging such as responses from something like "not in game".

Your comments raise interesting issues, as I see it.

On the issue of CivBucks, using them isn't "illegal" under game rules, and I feel this is an interesting part of the context of the game: Spending real money gives you a limited advantage. I don't believe we can make not spending CivBucks part of our unofficial game ethic, because people will be doing it frequently, and the developers made that the way the game supports itself. This reflects American society. In the US rich people can buy justice; that's so obvious as to be undeniable. Buy yourself a high-priced lawyer and you're much more likely to be home for supper after your trial. For example, when a famous musician, comic or actor gets busted for dope, who expects him to spend three years in slam in these times. (I am an attorney and IT guy. I should know.)

On the issue of multiple accounts, I think it probably gives an advantage, and the more competitive or ethically-challenged players are going to be doing that too. Since this is unpreventable (far as I can see), then even though it's illegal, maybe we'll have to consider it ethical anyway.

I've been in IT, enforcing rules, as my job, for more years than I care to admit. When I had to put other security admins on the spot, I would tell them that they must want me to violate unenforced rules or they would be enforcing them.

Finally, Glinda, I am not complaining, or expressing sour grapes. I am a grownup. I'm just trying to understand this new game, and decide how much I want to play it.

Just a FYI, that button by the quote button allows you to quote more than one post. :)

It's a fair question, and I'm not certain I'm right. I'm deducing it from the fact that you message people on one ID and they answer on another. And other weird anomalies in messaging such as responses from something like "not in game".

The in-game chat is buggy and often says the wrong person is speaking. I don't know if that known bug is what you've noticed or not.

But let's say I had two accounts, Happy and Turtle. You messaged Happy, but I was logged in as Turtle - I wouldn't be able to see the messages to Happy. So how could I answer them? Seems kind of weird.

The in-game chat is buggy and often says the wrong person is speaking. I don't know if that known bug is what you've noticed or not.

But let's say I had two accounts, Happy and Turtle. You messaged Happy, but I was logged in as Turtle - I wouldn't be able to see the messages to Happy. So how could I answer them? Seems kind of weird.

Well, you may be right. I have set up a second CivWorld ID and I am experimenting with it to see what I can do with it. Don't rat me out, please.

You need two computers to do this right. The app will catch you if you try to have two CivWorld sessions on one computer.

Think of me as a scientist, please, not a criminal.

Hehe... sounds like way too much trouble just to win at a facebook game.

((Though, I actually do have two separate IDs playing at the moment on the same computer, though they're playing separate games. Once the game ends that I started in my keep-up-with-family facebook account, I won't play anymore there, and will use my keep-up-with-internet-friends account exclusively.))

In the other big Facebook wargame I play (King of the World), multi-accounting is a huge problem. In fact, the developer has an investigator that checks people who log into the game with multiple FB accounts from the same IP address, and regularly boots the multis out of the game.

Multi-accounts can create a big advantage for players, and clearly there are alot of ways CivWorld could be exploited by multi-accounts. (Not going to list them here though. LOL.)

As for why people do it, who knows? I'm sure I wouldn't find it a satisfying way to "win" a game. But given what I've seen in KOTW, I expect that multi-accounting in CivWorld is likely to be common.

Kind of sad when people do that.. In the 2 worlds I play it doesn't happen I think.
I do have another facebook account to play civworld though, but I'm not in the same game as any other facebook account.

I understand your point, but I don't think I said that. Probably you can be very successful without playing multiple ID. I just speculated that some of the highest-ranked players seem to BE playing multiple IDs. I think that unethical practice can help them.

The majority of the high-scoring successful players have been playing since before the Open Beta. None of them are playing multiple IDs.

It's a fair question, and I'm not certain I'm right. I'm deducing it from the fact that you message people on one ID and they answer on another.

You know this is a BUG in the chat, right? That when people type it comes up saying it's the wrong person? One of the people in my team keeps getting labelled as Africa by the team chat; this doesn't mean she's playing in Africa and our civ.

There is a guy in my civ who got about 10 different accounts.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/multii.jpg/

all the people with S as a last name is the same, he himself wrote this in national chat before we had the chance to ask him.

im ofc gonna leave the civ and try to beat him in the very near future, but its hardly gonna be a fair competition

Top Bottom