Germany: Great?,Good?,Okay?,or Bad?

civoholic

Warlord
I think Germany is a DECENT civ.

There a one hit wonder, only useful for domination

The warrior automatically veterans + automatic upgrades for elites is the DEADLIEST combination for domination early in the game.

But, the automatic veterans only work for warriors, so later in the game, the automatic upgrade for elite is really hard to do.

The german have no other really good bonuses except for +1 production in forests, witch is okay.

There probubly the worst civ late in the game.

STRADEGY: go for the win early, or you have no chance later in the game

rating: 6 out of 10

You Realize that their non-warrior units will start as vets if you have a barracks right?

Plus your Elite warriors will keep upgrading as you advance in technology, so when you won't have to build as many knightsas say the romans would once they get it. If you focus on technology and keep your elite units alive you will dominate militaraly. As far as the 1+ production in forest is awesome. That will help you build wonder plenty quicker especially if you place your cities around well forested areas. They Germans seem to be mostly aimed for domination victory, but cultural could work for them too especially since if your defenders are elite they will keep upgrading and you wont have to invest in new defenders everytime you tech. I think the Germans are just as overpowerd as any other civilization.

I tested this out yesterday once and will do it again today to make sure. Elite warriors units will not auto upgrade after the ancient era so the best you can do is get a legion army (or more) faster than anyone which is ok.

I played about 3 games yesterday. one was a head to head against another german. I got my early rush warrior army to elite with infiltration + movement. took a computer player capital. went for the human player immediately after and before i started attacking the german player I got iron working. *auto legion army with 2 elite upgrades* Totally steam rolled through his 3 cities with this one army.

I was pretty impressed how fast I was able to defeat this guy but I am sure considerable luck was also involved. The double movement is really important early on which makes a rushing zulu player very dangerous.

But, the automatic veterans only work for warriors, so later in the game, the automatic upgrade for elite is really hard to do.

I was disappointed when I discovered the "Start as Veterans" literally only applied to Warriors (I had assumed it was any basic infantry unit). However, it's actually pretty easy to end up with lots of Elite units. I often have quite a few of them by mid-game, so I think the Elite upgrades is actually a pretty nice Civ bonus.

[Edit: Ouch, I just saw malitano's post. Is that right, only upgrades for Elite Warriors? That really does sound like weak sauce. I've only experimented a bit with Germany.]

a lot of high level players in head to head like to use the germans, personally they are not for me but they have always posed a challenge

Yeh i always play as germany and (almost) always win. Mainly play as them because i like the colour and building skins lol. And i never go for domination victory online unless unprovoked. I wouldn't give them 10/10 but i still think there great. The production bonus is great imo, not like the spanish hill one which inevitably means that there have to be hills near your city - which means that your city is not hard to be taken over. And the warriors at the beginning are great cos u dont need to waste a turn healing after you lost some health to barbarians - because the unit is still strong enough to kill barbarians with only 2/3rds of health. And the elite upgrades is just immense. Gotta love seeing your knights turn into tanks. And defensive units in towns rarely get defeated with this bonus.

So imo Germany = Great

Yes, i know that they are great at the start. but they are only good for domination, so if your countered, its bacically over

tell me how you would rate germany, out of 10, like I did

Im going to post reviews of each civ every day around 8:00 eastern time

then, after all that, im going to rank them, 1 through 16 in single player, then rank them in multiplayer, 1 through 16

Germany, horrible benifits compared to most other civs
rating 3 out of 10

Top Bottom