Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Should I take actual classes, or would books on the matter be good enough?

To learn things classes have the advantage of pacing things you do. You can use books to deepen your knowledge.

Although I don't know how to fix any serious problems, putting a PC in parts and together again taught me a lot and it was fun too. Although, before that I didn't really know anything about computers.

You also i suppose need practice. Even in theory you know to plug this wire into that port and so forth, actually doing it can be quite a bit tricky. Might be only my experience, though, considering my fingers are too large.

This is good stuff to know. :)

That's by no means an exhaustive list, just some questions of the top of my head that test specific scenarios.

I'd expect the candidate to be able to talk me through their process for fixing the problems - at that point it's about their ability to ask the right questions, knowing what they need to look up, and avoiding wrong answers (ie. Anything for #3 involving plugging the drive into anything is wrong), rather than specific step-by-step solutions to the problems.

I have a small program called JPEG and PNG stripper, that eliminates all the TMI metadata from jpegs and png's, such as geo-tagging, etc. If I set it to operate on my entire C: drive, will it damage anything?

Whether certifications matter really depends on the company that's hiring. Some companies use it as a benchmark of having certain skills. Others decide that certifications aren't that great of a match of the skills they want, or that they can better ascertain skills themselves.

I can't say whether it's worth it or not, since I've never bothered to get certified in anything.

For general hardware knowledge and familiarity, futzing around with old computers could be useful. I learned a fair amount disassembling and reassembling my laptop pretty thoroughly while it was my only computer. And it's rather fun, in a mechanical sort of way.

More to the point, what is this program? :D
A digital desktop topless bar. :mischief:

(Not really. :lol: It just removes metadata from images. It can be used both with the GUI that came with it or with command line. For the GUI, just drag and drop the image, or the entire folder if you wish, and it'll fix all the images supported by it. :) Should be useful for removing privacy-invading geotagging too. :) )

Oh I was looking for something like that. Thanks.

I subscribed to my first RSS feed, and had it sent to My Yahoo!, but I can't find it there, after having it sent to "my page". How or where do I find it to access it?

I've noticed my keyboard has become quite sticky after spilling coffee on it. Anything I can do to fix this?

I've noticed my keyboard has become quite sticky after spilling coffee on it. Anything I can do to fix this?

Try cleaning it.

EDIT: no really. You can take off the keys.

You might need to disassemble it (remove all the screws and open it up) for the keys to come out and reach the gunkiest areas. It's pretty straightforward though.

Fun tip: if it's a wireless keyboard, there's sometimes a hidden screw in the battery bay.

I've used alcohol swabs. Be careful though.

I just unplugged it, put it in the sink, and sprayed water on it until it was clean.,....

Q-Tips also work too for places that are hard to reach with fingers, with a bit of rubbing alcohol

I have tried both the alcoholed cue-tips and spraying water. Both seem to have helped. Thanks! :)

Top Bottom