Whats a hidden site (and how do I find it)?

CivilizedPlayer

Warlord
So according to my Culture screen, there are 17 hidden sites undiscovered. Only problem is, I have no idea what those are, nor how to get my greedy, culture-mongering hands on them. Heeellllppp!

They're just archaeological sites - you find them by finishing the Exploration tree. The advantage is that they might reveal extra landmark sites you can use (you probably have plenty of artifacts) since the AI almost never completes Exploration.

I think I read something in the patch notes about some special kind of artifact sometimes spawning in hidden sites, that you won't get in normal archaeological sites, but I can't quite recall what the effect was if so.

Hidden sites are super special resources that have a chance to drop whenever something of historical importance happens in the ancient to medieval eras; Like say, a battle, or a destruction of a city.

They only appear to those who take the full path through the exploration civic tree, where you can then send archeologists to excavate them on the map as soon as archeology is researched. They appear as blue-tinted archeological sites on the map.

Edit: Well butter my biscuit; Beaten to the punch!

They are just like regular sites but they are purple like Frieza

The special effect is a massive culture boost (akin to bulbing a great writer). I'm not sure how the culture boost is calculated, but its usually more than half a late game policy; IIRC about 8000. I don't know if that had anything to do with how much culture I was already outputting (I probably had a lot of culture if I was blowing 6 policies in exploration :lol:)

The special effect gives you the choice between a Great Work of Writing and the above cultural boost. Given the timing, the cultural boost is often preferred unless you already have enough policies and tenants.

The special effect is a massive culture boost (akin to bulbing a great writer). I'm not sure how the culture boost is calculated, but its usually more than half a late game policy; IIRC about 8000. I don't know if that had anything to do with how much culture I was already outputting (I probably had a lot of culture if I was blowing 6 policies in exploration :lol:)

AFAIK any antiquity site can give a great writer effect instead of an artifact

AFAIK any antiquity site can give a great writer effect instead of an artifact

No, only about a one-in-three chance off Hidden sites.

I think the Culture amount is somewhere more than a Great Writer's output. Whatever it is exactly, it's bought me a social policy or two in the later game. I think it's also pretty good as an extra source of Tourism if you're going for the Culture win.

No, only about a one-in-three chance off Hidden sites.

I think the Culture amount is somewhere more than a Great Writer's output. Whatever it is exactly, it's bought me a social policy or two in the later game. I think it's also pretty good as an extra source of Tourism if you're going for the Culture win.

Yes and it isn't tied to GW ability either. In my current mod I had to tweak GP abilities because they threw off game balance (you increase research/culture cost it dynamically increases bulb style abilities) and reducing GW had no effect on the antiquity boost (which can still grant 2-3 policies late game so I'm debating nerfing it).

isnt those sites useless then? U have to break through an entire exploration tree which i find useless

Exploration is one of my favorite Policies... I normally play Continents and have a preference for coastal cities and the benefits of Exploration are excellent for my playstyle.

Plus I gated Hubble Space Telescope in my mod to require Exploration finisher :D

Hidden site olso have the special ability when you dig them to make it a great work of writing but most importantly

you can use it to get a lot of culture instantly like the great writer this is usefull if all you're slots are filled and you want to get a new social policy

isnt those sites useless then? U have to break through an entire exploration tree which i find useless

Eh, it's a pretty good tree. More Happiness from Coastal buildings (which you'll be building if your coastal cities are anywhere good), more Production for those cities, an extra Great Admiral and faster replacement Great Admirals, a little extra Culture and Production from your East India Company, more Gold from your sea trade routes. More gold from Coastal buildings too (really, reduced Maintenance as a matter of fact).

It's pretty solid. Even the Admirals policy isn't that bad, but it's really the only sub-par one. It also unlocks the Louvre which is a pretty good Culture Wonder. The buying Great Admirals with Faith bit is also kind of sub-par; I don't think I've ever taken advantage of it.

Exploration is a decent tree; but with science being King (and so Rationalism is a much higher priority) when I dip into the tree at all I don't finish it until after I've gotten as many tenets as I want.
(When I dip into it; it's first right side for the happiness bonuses)

Top Bottom