Remove research extra cost

ltz1988

Chieftain
Hi everyone,

Is there a way to remove the extra 5% research cost for every city you build? I think it's not reasonable that more cities will slow your research speed.

Thanks,
Tim

I too think it's strange that having more cities would cause a nation to advance more slowly technologically. But I want to see what the others think.

Well, it's fireaxis.

Expansion and Liberty was too good in G&K, so they took measures to nerf it into the ground. I guess they wanted small empires to stand a chance in the game as they changed the culture mechanics, which was basically the only VC that benefited small empires.

I think the reason to the 5% boost is that settling a city gives you more population, which means it takes longer to educate your people due to the increased population.

The way to actually get rid of that boost is in the Civ5Worlds.xml file. Simply change the <NumCitiesTechCostMod> from 5% to whatever you feel is a good value (like 0). You'd have to do this for every map size, however, as it is different between tiny maps, medium maps, huge maps, etc. You could also change the <NumCitiesPolicyCostMod> if you wanted to change how much each new city increases policy costs as well.

The Civ5Worlds.xml file will be in the gameinfo folder of the expansion version of the game you are currently playing. For example, if you are playing Brave New World, it would be located at C:\[your install directory]\Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo, whereas if you are using the base game only, it would be located at C:\[your install directory]\Civilization V\Assets\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo

I've actually done this myself, scaling the value back to 1.5 on all maps. This has the effect of me (at the higher difficulties, with spies stealing techs from the AI) maxing out my tech at around 1500.

I think the reason to the 5% boost is that settling a city gives you more population, which means it takes longer to educate your people due to the increased population.

The discovering of new technologies depends on how many educated people you have, and how well they are educated, not the percentage of people you have educated. If I were to have a group of ten scientists under my command, say, they wouldn't discover technologies any slower just because I hired a couple custodians to mop the hallways.

It's a balance issue that they tried to work out. There's no obvious argument to why more cities would result in less science.

You could try playing on a large or huge map. The penalty is smaller there (3% for large, not sure about huge) and you'll often have more room to expand too. This doesn't mean you'll be able to spam cities all over the map without gimping your science but you could probably settle a couple more cities than on a standard map.

The way to actually get rid of that boost is in the Civ5Worlds.xml file. Simply change the <NumCitiesTechCostMod> from 5% to whatever you feel is a good value (like 0). You'd have to do this for every map size, however, as it is different between tiny maps, medium maps, huge maps, etc. You could also change the <NumCitiesPolicyCostMod> if you wanted to change how much each new city increases policy costs as well.

The Civ5Worlds.xml file will be in the gameinfo folder of the expansion version of the game you are currently playing. For example, if you are playing Brave New World, it would be located at C:\[your install directory]\Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo, whereas if you are using the base game only, it would be located at C:\[your install directory]\Civilization V\Assets\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo

I've actually done this myself, scaling the value back to 1.5 on all maps. This has the effect of me (at the higher difficulties, with spies stealing techs from the AI) maxing out my tech at around 1500.

Thank you ! this is exact information I need !

The problem in my opinion is that all buildings in the game are given a fixed cost no matter the size of the population of the city. If you have a 5 city or a 20 city the cost of the university is the same. So basically universities get better the larger the city because the cost of running it does not increase. In the real world that is not the case. In the real world the larger the population that some buildings serve the more costly.

Some of the buildings in the game such as the public school and the university should have their cost based off of the population of the city that building is in. This will force the player through economic means to decide what buildings to build and maybe just maybe they will come up with a means for the player to have more control over puppet cities and what they build as well.

Oh yeah... I forget... they don't want to overwhelm us with too much decision making so none of the above in any form will probably ever happen... i.e. micromanagement is bad.

You could try playing on a large or huge map. The penalty is smaller there (3% for large, not sure about huge) and you'll often have more room to expand too. This doesn't mean you'll be able to spam cities all over the map without gimping your science but you could probably settle a couple more cities than on a standard map.
2% for huge

I think it's fine, cost doesn't go that much higher and it makes up to tall empires for lack of space, not to mention that wide empires will produce more faith and more culture which are lot more important then they were in GnKs. Wide empires can also spam more units every turn, unlike 3-4 units that tall empires would pump.

and if you really want to negate that extra cost, build at least universities.

The discovering of new technologies depends on how many educated people you have, and how well they are educated, not the percentage of people you have educated. If I were to have a group of ten scientists under my command, say, they wouldn't discover technologies any slower just because I hired a couple custodians to mop the hallways.

It's a balance issue that they tried to work out. There's no obvious argument to why more cities would result in less science.

Considering that the Civ definition of "science" bears little relation to the concept in reality, and none at all to the way historical discoveries were made (no one was funded to come up with the wheel), trying to argue for or against on 'realism' grounds is futile - (appropriately) you don't reach education of the kind you describe until the Medieval era, or public schools until the Industrial.

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to remove the extra 5% research cost for every city you build? I think it's not reasonable that more cities will slow your research speed.

Thanks,
Tim
Yes, you can easily mod it out of the game, but there is no way without using a mod. Are you playing with mods? If you are, try to ask in the modding forum if anyone has made such a mod and/or can do it or help you do it.

If you do remove it, you'll quickly find that Tall empires are completely unviable as it is primarily a balancing issue to prevent exclusion of specific play styles. Wide empires already get a large enough boost to science from the extra population to compensate for the increased cost. I seldom go Tall and have had no issues with the increased cost keeping me from remaining the dominant tech leader.

Top Bottom