Who are the toughest civs to beat when you are playing against the AI.

GGitchell

Chieftain
I was thinking Korea especially in anything higher than prince. They out tech you by building wonders so they have high science and a high overall score from pretty much all of the factors. They are hard to beat in a space because I found my myself behind them even when playing as Babylon, and I couldn't beat them score wise, and Korea's military was more advanced. Too make it worse they had the most seats in the world congress so they ruined my economy be embargoing a civilization. How do I beat them do I just have to go attack the two weakers civs and pull ahead in the score and go for a time, or should I have attacked them in an earlier phase of the game. They were my neighbors by the way.

Also what civs do hate to play against?

Persia, because they can get almost perpetual golden ages.
Zulus--Do I need to explain?

For me personally, on Deity:
Zulu - be prepared to bribe until the cows come home
Greece - be prepared to bribe/coup city states until the pigs fly home
Korea - be prepared to nuke him before his satellites hop off to space
Huns - if he's a neighbor, save gold for walls :(

I hate playing with Austria and Venice because they suck up the city states... if they are on my continent I have to destroy them and liberate the city states they've enslaved.

Because you have to completely destroy him. Even taking his cap, he will still ally every CS in the game. You HAVE to be a warmonger if he's in the game, or he'll get a diplo win. Zulus are second, especially if they're far away and I can't get to them right away. I prefer them close, but not TOO close.
Here's one people haven't mentioned: Ethiopa. If you're going for dom, and you don't get him early, his UU, coupled with his UA make him VERY difficult. I had him once where he was surrounded by hills. My arties bombed his UU constantly and barely put a dent in them. Very frustrating.

Iroqouis ICS is very dangerous so he can be the dangerous Civilization + he useally got a very strong army to.

Alexander, no question. He's tough early on, because he has great UUs and is very aggressive, and he's tough later on, because he settler spams like crazy and steals all the city-states. I've never had a game with him where he wasn't a major threat.

I've only played one game with the Zulus involved, and Shaka actually just stuck with 3 cities and ended with the lowest score (despite no one ever taking one of his cities). I'd say the Ramesses is the most annoying, especially if he's far away. On the other hand, if he's nearby, taking his capital halfway through the game is an awesome way to get some wonders!

I've only played one game with the Zulus involved, and Shaka actually just stuck with 3 cities and ended with the lowest score (despite no one ever taking one of his cities).
I've had the same experience with all of the early game warmongers, like Shaka, Attila, and Monty. They can be a threat to me if they're my neighbor, but most of the time they become very irrelevant very fast. They always have terrible tech, so after their UUs become obsolete, they just sit there not doing anything, or get wiped out by someone who took offense at their existence. It's the mid and late game warmongers (like Alexander or Bismarck) that I'm really afraid of.

I hate playing with Austria and Venice because they suck up the city states... if they are on my continent I have to destroy them and liberate the city states they've enslaved.

You can't liberate the cities they've married/bought. That's one of the problems with them. Once they marry/buy a CS the city is treated like they originally settled it.

If you're going for a diplo victory they are a huge threat. For any other victory they aren't note worthy.

Because you have to completely destroy him. Even taking his cap, he will still ally every CS in the game. You HAVE to be a warmonger if he's in the game, or he'll get a diplo win.

I also voted for alexander, but you don't have to completely destroy him to beat him if you're going for a tech or culture victory. He can be beat by being out teched.

Except you cannot liberate them because the "voluntarily" join the Austrian Empire/Venetian Republic.

the only way you could liberate them is if said Civ conquered them militarily. Which would be counter-productive for them.

Iroquois and Greece are tough....Siam vexes me as well. I know we will never be allies....

(edit) dang...beaten to it....

Top Bottom