Having an AI city revolt and become yours?

xxblackdog

Chieftain
Just reading through some posts on CivFanatics: it sounds like you can make AI cities turn over to your control (through tourism/culture)? Is this the case? How do you do this?

Just reading through some posts on CivFanatics: it sounds like you can make AI cities turn over to your control (through tourism/culture)? Is this the case? How do you do this?

If you completely dominate a civ with your culture and have your ideology as world ideology (and they're something else), then their happiness will dip into the red and they'll go through revolutionary waves, which turns some of their units into barbs. If it's bad enough, their closest city to you will flip to your control, and another and another until either they change to your ideology or their happiness gets back to green.

More specifically, if a civ hits -20 Happiness they start to lose control of their cities. They start defecting to the player who has the most cultural influence over that civ.

As the above poster said, it's usually because of ideology pressure as it's hard to screw up your own empire so badly that you'll hit -20. You'd have to pre-build a bunch of settlers and then plant them all at once, or have like half your luxuries pillaged at once.

I personally like burning these cities down out of spite, or selling them back at ridiculous cost. It's rare that you get one in a position that actually works for you. I have no idea how the game determines which city to give you.

Just curious-these cities, do they count as "conquered", as in do you get an option to annex/puppet/raze and you must build a courthouse if you annex, or do they count as "founded" by you (would probably make more sense because the city "flipped" to you.)

Just curious-these cities, do they count as "conquered", as in do you get an option to annex/puppet/raze and you must build a courthouse if you annex, or do they count as "founded" by you (would probably make more sense because the city "flipped" to you.)

It works like getting a city in a trade/peace agreement. The city is still in revolt, and you get the choice between razing, puppetting, or annexing. There's no population loss, and no damage to buildings.

That said, because you've got the highest Culture influence, the revolution time might be fairly short.

I'm pretty sure it's the city that's closest to the dominant civ.

I've had one smack-dab in the middle of the Roman empire decide they wanted to leave and come join me. It hurt ol' Augustus pretty badly as it was one of his largest cities (something like pop 18 if memory serves). It was definitely not the closest as he'd annexed or razed & rebuilt a few things near there.

I ended up starting the Razing process long enough to loot all the pretty artwork and sell the most expensive building, and then I sold the city back to him. He was really pleased that he could get it back for 'only' a lot of GPT.

I've had one smack-dab in the middle of the Roman empire decide they wanted to leave and come join me. It hurt ol' Augustus pretty badly as it was one of his largest cities (something like pop 18 if memory serves). It was definitely not the closest as he'd annexed or razed & rebuilt a few things near there.

I ended up starting the Razing process long enough to loot all the pretty artwork and sell the most expensive building, and then I sold the city back to him. He was really pleased that he could get it back for 'only' a lot of GPT.

Wow, I swear I read somewhere in the pedia that the closest city flipped.. That's something someone should test.

I had that with a city in the middle of Aztec territory - Monty declared war and took it back shortly afterwards, since it was nowhere I could defend (landlocked and surrounded by Aztec cities, and well outside my own territory). I hadn't even thought of razing it.

It seems that when multiple civs have influence over a revolting civ, it loses cities to each of them sequentially, usually very soon after one another, and then there's a delay before the next cycle of revolts does the same thing - is this typical of others' experience?

I've had one smack-dab in the middle of the Roman empire decide they wanted to leave and come join me.

In mine, I had one right in the middle of the Netherlands (next to his capital) join me, despite 2 cities right next my capital. Unfortunately, the city was a wreck because barbarians/rebels were rampant, and he was fighting a 2 front war.

The upside was that I even got some Great Works out of it. :lol:

Wow, I swear I read somewhere in the pedia that the closest city flipped.. That's something someone should test.

I think it could be the most unhappy city based on local city happiness. Usually high pop city with few happy buildings. Not sure if luxes factor on a per city basis. A predictor could be the city that the barb/rebels are coming from/attacking.

I always feel like I shouldn't be able to raise these cities, and that I should only have the option to liberate them or something instead. I mean, these people are revolting and joining their empire. I doubt they would have wanted to join your empire if they knew you're going to set their city aflame!

I just had it happen to me. St Petersburg right in the middle of Catherine's empire. I had no way of working it so I gave it back to Cat seeing we where getting along famously. and then about twenty turns later it flipped to me again. It looks like I'm stuck with it.

The target civ must be at most -20 happiness in total, when the target civ's preferred ideology is the same ideology you have adopted (you don't have to be the one exerting the pressure, another AI can do it, but you have to be the CLOSEST civ to the city that is going to revolt)

A good way to exploit this is to sell the city back to the original civ for all their luxes (which they will accept), which will send the civ plummeting down to maybe even -40 or so... meaning another city will revolt soon enough... rinse and repeat until you've milked the poor victim of all the gold and gpt and luxes and war bribes. This is, to me, why I play CV :lol: it's priceless when this happens.

In my current mess of a game, I’m playing on Scrambled Italy. I started out on the lower half of the Italian peninsula and have 4 core cities. After some foolish warmongering, I captured Honolulu from the Polynesians (which is up near modern day Genoa). My happiness is in the toilet and I recently had Honolulu flip to the Germans (who are in modern day Tunisia). So maybe puppet cities flip before core cities since Honolulu is further away from Germany than the cities I built are.

I also captured Dublin and Edinburgh from the Celts (who are in modern day Serbia/Bosnia/Croatia). Edinburgh just flipped to the Germans even though it is inland, while Dublin is on the western coast. So maybe puppet capitals flip before other puppet cities.

I just don't know why they are so damned unhappy when they join my civ. I mean, they WANTED to join me. So don't sit there whining for 15 or 20 turns giving me a massive happiness hit!

Im just playing a game as Austria (Emperor). Took freedom. Generating 628 tourism per turn. Germany took Autocracy (obviously). He's being hit by -88 unhappiness per turn thanks to his people wanting to be free!

I took Frankfurt, Munich, Hamburg, Essen in almost consecutive turns. Bismarck gets annoyed and DOWs me to get them back.

Im a few turns away from the internet - but failing that 50 turns away from becoming dominant over him and winning a culture victory. My fear is that he destroys me before I get there! its going to be a close finish!

I believe cities flip the civ with the highest influence delta, and not the highest influence. I do know they must be in 'civil resistance' and their overall unhappiness at -20 or below. If they are in 'revolutionary wave' the civ will revolt to the preferred ideology.

Top Bottom