Game of the Week - Cheating??

jayjackson

Warlord
I dunno about this. I'm seeing domination victories at 2500 BC on Deity?? How is this even possible. It's 3400 (i think) before you can build anything but a warrior. And I'm supposed to believe that someone can go and roll over 5 capitals in this short amount of time?

I know quick dominations were possible on Tiny Duel games, etc in Civ4 - but this just looks to me like cheating. Kind of a bummer, because its one thing that would make me buy this rather than just borrowing it off my friend - I like that I can easily get a game in in 4-5 hours, and even though it's not as deep as Civ4 it does give an immersive experience. I don't always need the crazy depth Civ4 gives, and the console graphics are FUN and superb.

Guess I'm just bummered. Someone please tell me they aren't cheating and I just need improvement or a better grasp of the simpler game mechanics?

I dunno about this. I'm seeing domination victories at 2500 BC on Deity?? How is this even possible. It's 3400 (i think) before you can build anything but a warrior. And I'm supposed to believe that someone can go and roll over 5 capitals in this short amount of time?

I know quick dominations were possible on Tiny Duel games, etc in Civ4 - but this just looks to me like cheating. Kind of a bummer, because its one thing that would make me buy this rather than just borrowing it off my friend - I like that I can easily get a game in in 4-5 hours, and even though it's not as deep as Civ4 it does give an immersive experience. I don't always need the crazy depth Civ4 gives, and the console graphics are FUN and superb.

Guess I'm just bummered. Someone please tell me they aren't cheating and I just need improvement or a better grasp of the simpler game mechanics?

You can replay the game of the week as many times as you want (but you cannot save in the middle of a game). Since it is the game of the week and the map will always be the same for the whole week, people spend the first couple playthroughs mapping out the complete map. Then they develop a strategy (since they know where all the artifacts/other cultures are) to dominate the game as quickly as possible.

Here is the website some hardcore folks designed for the game of the week. You will see there are maps etc for you to strategize over. Really, the game of the week should be called, "who can get the quickest domination win" but eh...I don't really play that mode anyway.

Edit: Ha ha...sorry, HERE is the link: http://civgameoftheweek.com/

Firaxis/2K *did* look into this when allegations first rose, but they are now certain that the condition is as Killer Moogle says, above.

Elizabeth2K had a private conversation with one of the super-speedy players, and he explained exactly what he did to get the "unbelievable" time, and she was able to reproduce his success. So it's not really "cheating". It's just exploiting the fact that you can play the GOTW as often as you want. ;)

Top Bottom