Brazil discussion thread

If Tourism's purpose is only for CV's and nothing else, it would indeed be locking them into CV play. But Civs like France, Aztecs, Persia all have UA's catered to CV's but still play well in other victories too.

So,. I'd hope there is something more to Tourism than we know right now for that reason.

Did we hear anything about Tourism = Gold? I really thing they should consider something like this.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like a nice UA, but let's wait for the other unique components to jump into conclusions...

Brazil's unique ability is Carnival. It works with Tourism. When you have a Golden Age, it's called a Carnival and your tourism output is doubled.

Straight from Ed Beach's mouth. :)

They party their way to cultural victory.

If this is the UA,then it needs a little buff for early game,because I'm pretty sure that Brazil wouldn't have an UB or UI for early game .

If this is the UA,then it needs a little buff for early game,because I'm pretty sure that Brazil wouldn't have an UB or UI for early game .

Yeah, I was expecting something more generic and useful early game...

We don't know the full details and it can still change. Persia gets the +10% and movement bonus as well as the 50% longer golden ages. And it does make a difference in early game even though you can't be in a non-stop golden age like late-game. (Archers can move on to a hill and still shoot!)

They mentioned the double tourism to showcase the Civ and how it caters to the new tourism system, but that doesn't mean there aren't/won't be additional bonuses as well.

We don't know all the effects of Tourism yet. I'll be VERY surprised if there aren't some buildings or Social Policies that provide money from Tourism for example.

If Tourism's purpose is only for CV's and nothing else, it would indeed be locking them into CV play. But Civs like France, Aztecs, Persia all have UA's catered to CV's but still play well in other victories too.

Culture is different in that it brings you Social Policies which can be used for anything. France and the Aztecs aren't cultural victory civs sind their UA allow them to concentrate on other stuff without trailing in culture. France especially allows you to go wide, it's not the best one for a cultural victory by itself, since the civ needs to be wide to get the most out of its UA.

But let's not delve into that discussion too much, I brought that up more to point out that I expect a second and/or third perk to Tourism, but I'm unclear what it could be. The "makes civs with differen ideology unhappy" doesn't seem too positive/active for the player himself.

Maybe there's an additional bonus that actually helps them get into Golden Ages, just like Persia get increased Golden Age duration.

Yeah, I was expecting something more generic and useful early game...

Here, take my like.

Didn't like the UA, not a bit. And i'm not even a Carnival hater, i just think that it looks very bad gameplay-wise (limited, maybe weak? And not flavorful).

But let's wait and see. UU/UB/UI could make up for that, althought early-game is unlikely. And we don't know everything about tourism yet.

A UA doesn't lock a civ into a play style, I've won many a Science Victory as The Huns

That's because the Hun UA is primarily industral which helps with everything. If tourism is only used for cultural victories then Brazil will practically have no UA for the purpoe of most strategies.
I predict a powerful UB to compensate for that.

Culture is different in that it brings you Social Policies which can be used for anything. France and the Aztecs aren't cultural victory civs sind their UA allow them to concentrate on other stuff without trailing in culture.

I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or not?

My whole point was that Civs which are known for being fun/good for cultural play are not locked into it because of the additional benefits of social policies. Persia is great for CV's, but their UA is also great for other play as well. Non-stop golden ages can lead to strong gold focus for more military and/or more city-states, etc.

My guess is tourism will indeed have additional benefits than just cultural victory and it is likely their UA will have additional perks, but if it doesn't, it will be difficult to utilize that UA with as much flexibility as the others I have mentioned.

For one thing, there's no reason the Brazilian UA can't be multifaceted. The English have two completely different bonuses as part of their UA.

For another, there's not really a whole lot of info about how tourism will interact with systems other than the Cultural Victory. Possibly tourism will help generate gold, science, or even growth bonuses. We'll just have to wait and see.

I believe Rio de Janeiro will be the capital because it was the capital town during the times of the Emperor Pedro II and it still is in many ways the cultural capital of Brazil. But who knows? Nevertheless I find Rio more probable than Brasília.

Beijing's the capital of China, even though Wu's capital was Chang-an, current day Xian. Who can say what they make the capital? Though I hope it's Rio, even I always change Beijing in my games to Chang-an

I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or not?

My guess is tourism will indeed have additional benefits than just cultural victory and it is likely their UA will have additional perks, but if it doesn't, it will be difficult to utilize that UA with as much flexibility as the others I have mentioned.

Exactly, if Tourism isn't good for something else, it's a very lackluster trait.

But if it is, and I'm now spinning the thought further, it will be the second-best system at something in any case. If you want gold, go for trade and gold buildings, for example. Other uses that have been suggested/hinted at by the devs are negative in nature. Giving other civs unhappiness (via ideologies and tourism shift) is something very delicate. They didn't have negative espionage missions to avoid that the human player will be annoyed when being ganged upon. So I don't think they can push that over the top with tourism and ideologies. In any case it wouldn't be a fun feature since it doesn't give you anything, but takes something away from the opponent.

I'm confident the devs know about that and that they will have something for Tourism in the backhand, but without it, Brasil's trait is lackluster. Simple as that :)

Well, if they have strength for both middle and late, that's not bad. After all, they weren't exactly an ancient power house ;)

Don't know if this was mentioned before but don't these 2 pictures look kind of identical?

Could this have been a hint that Brazil was gonna be in. Cause that guy on the second image looks like Pedro II of Brazil. Maybe Firaxis was laughing at us the whole time cause we didn't care much about the loading screens...

Top Bottom