Civilization 5 Rants Thread

We all expect there to be a degree of luck in the game but this is one thing where the game really, really, REALLY screws you over.

The only reason for this game design choice I can think of is that somebody thought "You never know when a prophet will appear!", but you could say that about all over great people types too. :confused: Everything else is on precise timers so why not this!?

The number of times I've been beaten to the last religion despite having 227 faith etc is beyond counting, not to mention missing out a vital belief for the same reason. It really stinks, and is usually the only reason I rage quit.

Yes, you could go into Piety, but everyone knows that tree is a pile of horse manure so doing that just ruins you elsewhere - not that the AIs thinks that, and probably just takes it troll the player out of the beliefs they want. :rolleyes:

Do you mean the fact that Prophets don't always appear as soon a you earn them, but sometimes have have to wait a few turns past that point?

OP, since this bothers you so much, have you tried the Fixed Phrophets mod?

The RNG that bugs me the most is CS coops.

I'm currently fine with randomness of prophets showing up. Its intended by design from devs to make people to fret about the rumors that the great prophet will show up in their lands to spread the faith that they have heard about.

I think the problems happen when developers try to please the majority or let a lot of feedback govern their design decisions. To properly balance a game, you have to consider: What is the game I (the developer) would want to play, and how do I balance everything so that experience is exactly the way I want it. If the developer wants to create a game where you step through the ages of history, then make that game, and do it in a way that makes the most sense. Too much outside noise will ruin the process.

The mechanics of technology, culture and all the other empire-building aspects are a work of beauty in Civ V, but the mechanics of combat on a Risk board type of map is uninspired, especially with the 1upt implementation. War should be implemented the same way as the other pursuits of the empire. If they really want combat tactics and a variety of units in a turn-based format they should look at the might and magic series for inspiration. If, however, this is not a tactical combat game, then why not just place the emphasis on building a superior military, then it would just be a matter of deciding which units attack which enemy targets, and let the game play out the results of this decision. This way, they would not have to turn the world into a risk board where your artillary is in france and your tank is in Italy attacking a target in Spain.

It's also intended I think to ensure that 1st through the turn-qeue does not always equal 1st to religion.

But I also do find it annoying when I am nearing 300 faith and my 1st Prophet hasn't popped yet. Stepping on a 'great prophet' goody box can be really annoying in this circumstance because all that extra faith is just wasted. Your prophets always take everything you have not just the minimum required + some randomized percentage of the excess.

Moderator Action: Great Prophet Timing Rant merged into the main rants thread

I love this game but there are some weird bits...

like which muppet decided that missile cruisers do not have indirect fire?! I mean the clue is in the title - they carry missiles! This one has always bugged me.

I have been watching a few Quill18 videos as I was interested in his Sorcerer King playthrough and I happened to notice his Community Balance Mod playthrough for Siam.

I must say that there is perhaps light at the end of the tunnel. The game with this mod is approaching the decent level. Still a ways to go but I must say I was impressed with the work that some forum members have put into it.

1UPT is still the disaster that it is but at least more than one civilian unit can occupy the same hex. You can build a road with one worker and build a farm with another, for example. That is an improvement, at least.

Global happiness is still kind of bad but they seem to have lessened its impact and allowed a player to expand and grow a little more freely. It's the local happiness that is the somewhat interesting balancing act. People want protection, higher literacy, etc. The game has a better feel to it with these changes, IMHO.

The AI seems to be better and the game uses mounted units cavalry fairly well. Still not perfect by any means but they are not complete punching bags anymore.

City States are not just vending machines, anymore. You can interact with them more and diplomacy with them and with the other civs is much more interesting.

It may have taken over 5 years but it appears that Civilization 5 is starting to look almost decent. If there is ever a big steam sale I may consider giving the game another look see. :)

So, well done Community Balance Mod modders. You have taken on a very difficult task and you have done admirable work under the circumstances. :hatsoff:

@ Thorm; When you get a chance bro, check out the Super Powers mod if possible in the Steam workshop, or the mod thread here at CFC. It has a lot of balancing ( as well as more than 1UPT), additions, and necessary tweaks that make the game fairly enjoyable to play.

@ Thorm; When you get a chance bro, check out the Super Powers mod if possible in the Steam workshop, or the mod thread here at CFC. It has a lot of balancing ( as well as more than 1UPT), additions, and necessary tweaks that make the game fairly enjoyable to play.

Thanks for the heads up. I am considering buying a Steam Machine in March to play Paradox Interactive games and perhaps give Civilization 5 the old college try again if I can find the expansions on sale. :) This Super powers Mod sounds interesting. ^^

So, it's on to Civ VI. Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes and help wash the bad taste out of our mouths. :D

It looks like they have modified the abominable 1UPT somewhat which is good news.
They have ditched global happiness which was terrible.

Seems like a reasonable start. :)

I'm pretty sure anyone that dislike 1UPT will be disapointed by civ6.

Instead of 1 units clogs we'll get clogs of armies. I'll bet 10 internet dollars on it.
Although I generally don't like jumping on the "Bash It Before It Is Even Released" bandwagon, I'm willing to bet 10 internet quatloos we'll also have annoying civilian traffic jams as well.

10 bars of gold pressed latnum on bad diplo, and while I'm at it, another 10 on a bad UI

I'm pretty sure anyone that dislike 1UPT will be disapointed by civ6.

Instead of 1 units clogs we'll get clogs of armies. I'll bet 10 internet dollars on it.

Very well could be. At least they realize that carpets of doom and traffic jams are bad for the game and they are trying to fix it. Could open up a whole new set of problems, though, I agree. Lol.

By now, I refuse to believe there is no logic in the game to make to AI cheat and have it beat you to wonders by one turn every Moderator Action: <snip> time.

Why when I load a saved game 10 turns before I got beaten by one Moderator Action: <snip> turn and I spent an engineer, and I build something else, automagically no one builds the wonder you where beat to by one turn.

The game cheats to make you rage quit, and no amount of logic explanation and proof will convince me otherwise.

/end of rant.

Moderator Action: It's fine to complain about gameplay results, but please watch your language. We try to keep this a family-friendly forum.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

There is a logic during the era of spies and I've observed AI engineer or speed up a wonder to beat me when we both had spies looking at what was happening in each other's capitals. I've also seen the AI speed up a wonder when I sped up mine to win, and seen it switch off it completely when it knew it would lose. They seem pretty smart about investigating your capital with spies. If you build the wonder in a non-capital city they seem less aware, this could be my imagination but I'm pretty convinced the spies allow them to see you building the wonder and try to beat you. You can do the same thing to them, but it's often hard to tell which AI you are competing with in a big world whereas if you are ahead the AI always has spies on you.

That said, 95% of the time is a huge exaggeration and you know it. ;) And no, they don't cheat, other then getting their normal bonuses. The bonus they get to wonders on Deity even is pretty small. They get 50% off on buildings and military but wonders it's only like 5% so you are on pretty even footing on all difficulty levels. They will get more engineers then you though as they run the workshop engineer slots more often then the scientists. I suspect the higher then normal 1-turn times is because the AI can see you building and send an engineer over to grab the wonder a turn or two before they know you'll get it. You can do the same thing to them if you spy and I've done it many times, and if you did investigate their cities with spies you'd know they aren't cheating because you could watch them building them and tell exactly what they are doing.

Top Bottom