A fix for 1UPT and 1GPR

It's not accurate to compare Civ 4 roads with Civ 5 roads as in 4 we were required to build roads to every resource to gain the benefits. I have way less roads in 5. IMO that justifies build times and maintenance cost.

If you want free roads play Inca and take the commerce policy. Combined that will give you a 100% maintenance reduction for road and rail.
I haven't really played civ 3 or 4, civ 2 I remember building roads everywhere. Once I started Civ 5 I quickly realised you can only build roads that you can afford. There's no need to build a 10 tile road to a 1pop city. City connections will pay for roads but like any infrastructure you need to grow your economy to get a return on your investment. So focus in growing your cities and increasing happiness so your population will keep going up. Do this and the income from city connections will well exceed maintenance costs.
You can also build machu picchu if you want to give a boost to road income

Oh I know that by building up cities etc the cost of roads and other improvements is negated, however it still annoys me, it just doesn't feel right. I agree about stacks of doom being a poor system, however 1upt is possibly the dumbest system they could of chose to fix the stack of doom. Its a simple fact that no AI today can compete with a reasonably competent person with regards to tactics on this scale. I first bought civ 5 when it first came out, I consistently won after my 5th game, on deity. Hold out till industrial age, build bombers, game over. Play Arabia to make it even easier with the resource bonus. I recently got brave new world because I hoped that they had fixed the game. In many regards they have, it is a much better game now than the trash that was originally released, however the AI is still really failing to win the wars, bomber command lays waste to their small numbers (1upt really restricts total army strength), and the AI has real difficulty brings overwhelming force to any given point. The tradition advantages of the AI have been gutted, namely Muhahaha, 10,000 tanks to your one lousy bazooka. Now the one lousy bazooka can hold the pass and wont simply get swamped. (please note that after sufficient time the bazooka will die from attrition so before anybody starts frothing at the mouth, just don't)

1 upt and gold cost for roads are fundamental concepts of civ5, and they work together. OP, if you don't like these two concepts, you are simply playing wrong game and you are in a wrong forum.

Its a simple fact that no AI today can compete with a reasonably competent person with regards to tactics on this scale. I first bought civ 5 when it first came out, I consistently won after my 5th game, on deity. Hold out till industrial age, build bombers, game over. Play Arabia to make it even easier with the resource bonus. I recently got brave new world because I hoped that they had fixed the game. In many regards they have, it is a much better game now than the trash that was originally released, however the AI is still really failing to win the wars, bomber command lays waste to their small numbers (1upt really restricts total army strength), ...

Seems that you have listed a few things you should refrain from doing:
Limit bomber basing to ONE (or at most 2) bombers per city; never play as Arabs or Russians.

Also, never reroll your start or reload the game, of course.

You can probably come up with other house rules of your own to increase your enjoyment of the game.

Oh I know that by building up cities etc the cost of roads and other improvements is negated, however it still annoys me, it just doesn't feel right. I agree about stacks of doom being a poor system, however 1upt is possibly the dumbest system they could of chose to fix the stack of doom. Its a simple fact that no AI today can compete with a reasonably competent person with regards to tactics on this scale. I first bought civ 5 when it first came out, I consistently won after my 5th game, on deity. Hold out till industrial age, build bombers, game over. Play Arabia to make it even easier with the resource bonus. I recently got brave new world because I hoped that they had fixed the game. In many regards they have, it is a much better game now than the trash that was originally released, however the AI is still really failing to win the wars, bomber command lays waste to their small numbers (1upt really restricts total army strength), and the AI has real difficulty brings overwhelming force to any given point. The tradition advantages of the AI have been gutted, namely Muhahaha, 10,000 tanks to your one lousy bazooka. Now the one lousy bazooka can hold the pass and wont simply get swamped. (please note that after sufficient time the bazooka will die from attrition so before anybody starts frothing at the mouth, just don't)

Have you considered playing Civ IV?

Top Bottom