Destroy the UN and foil the vote!

Lunchmoney

Chieftain
I had a thought whilst reading another thread.

If an AI builds the UN in a city that isnt their captial. And I then capture that city and in a fit of anger burn their buildings, torture their kin and sow the ground with salt (read: raze the city), does the UN Vote get cancelled?

The UN only triggers the vote, I don't think it's actually required to be there beyond the starting point, it just has to have been built, not currently still be standing.

Although one wonders where one casts ones vote.

(Just wanted to say "one" there really!)

That said, within 10 turns to ID the city, move units into place, capture it and raze it waiting however many turns that takes, you'd have to be extremely determined to stop them! :lol:

That said, within 10 turns to ID the city, move units into place, capture it and raze it waiting however many turns that takes, you'd have to be extremely determined to stop them! :lol:

With a decent airforce and some tanks and/or paratroopers you should be able to take most cities in that time. How long does it take to raze cities? I've never clocked it.

The taking of the correct city could also happen by chance ;)

How long does it take to raze cities? I've never clocked it.

1 turn per remaining pop, assuming that the UN would be created in a city with 10+ pop you'd be looking at 5 turns to raze it.

I'm not saying you couldn't do it, just that it would be tight! Although if it's 30 turns on marathon, heck you could wipe out their whole civilisation with that!

Still, don't think it stops the vote. You should try it though and let us know! :cool:

Actually every time you nuke the city it's population is about cut 1/3. Every time the city "changes" hands it drops faster also. Even if it was a 20+ city, 3 nukes, and a capture should get it down to around 5 or less. If the AI takes it back on the next turn, and then you capture it the following, it seems it could be razed in 3-4 turns from start to finish. If it has 10 pop when you start to raze it, it will take 10 turns, unless you and the AI keep capturing it back and forth.

Not tested in V. I know it did cancel the victory condition in IV, and razing the AP cancelled the Religious Victory.

Fasted raze (in V) would be multiple tactical nukes launched from subs.

I was planning on running a Settler level game, Quick speed. Only Diplomatic Victory allowed, so I dont accidently win it some other way. Build the UN in an outlaying city. Give that city to a neighbour. Declare war. Nuke it. Nuke some more. Then for fun, throw a few more nukes. Capture and raze. But I'm not sure if you can raze a city that you once owned. So I might just do this instead...
buchengshi said:
An easy way to test this would be to build the U.N. yourself in an annexed cty, then raze it.

Destroying U.N. doesn't cancel the vote, it doesn't even take away the civ's +1 bonus for building the U.N.

There's a bug in the game. I destroyed the U.N. with 2 turns left before the vote. After the vote I restored back to where there was only 1 turn until the vote, but the counter said there were 10 turns left. Still had the vote that turn though so the bug doesn't have any effect.

The U.N. wasn't built in the capital, although I don't think it makes any difference if there are other Civ's with their capital still in the game.

In BNW, I've taken a capital of the civ who hosted the world congress before, but it just moved to their second largest city. I'm curious to know what happens if you eliminate a civ who hosts that. I don't know what would happen for the OP though.

On a related note, in my recent Indonesia game, I wiped out Sweden around the time of the first UN vote. I'm not certain about this (wasn't considering it at the time and so wasn't keeping track) but I believe that I eradicated the Swedes before the vote. When the results came in, My propsal (World's Fair) passed, while the second resolution (Embargo City Sates) also passed, with Sweden providing the single Yea vote. My guess is that I simply wiped them out on the same turn as the vote, but I'm curious of diplomatic agreements between AI can still apply after one of the agreeing AI has been wiped out.

I captured the UN in greek's cities for six of their cities, it will keep on moving to next biggest city they have. UN in Civ 5 is immune to destruction. Only death of Host will force a new host vote.

Has nobody else noticed that the OP posted this back in 2011? <_<

He would have been talking about vanilla, where the UN was a wonder... and no, I doubt that would have cancelled the vote.

In BNW, the WC and UN carry on votes and resolutions regardless of who or what gets captured... all that changes is votes, if a player is eliminated. And Host position, if they're eliminated.

Top Bottom