Defensive Pacts

Carazycool

Warlord
I am playing a peaceful game as Ethiopia. Since I want to avoid being declared war on, I decided to sign a defensive pact with my friends, the Dutch. My other friend, Rome, declared war on the Dutch. The defensive pact kicks in and I automatically declare war on Rome. Now all of a sudden I have a huge negative diplomatic modifier with the entire world because "you declared war on a leader that you had a declaration of friendship with!" This mechanic is completely broken. Rome should be credited for declaring war against both the Dutch and me, especially considering that the defensive pact is available knowledge on the diplomacy screen. At the very least, I should not be credited with backstabbing Rome when he is the one who declared war! Now my game is basically ruined because no one will want to trade with me for the rest of it. Wish someone would fix this.

Now even the Dutch are pissed at me for backstabbing Rome! That is just completely nonsensical.

I am playing a peaceful game as Ethiopia. Since I want to avoid being declared war on, I decided to sign a defensive pact with my friends, the Dutch. My other friend, Rome, declared war on the Dutch. The defensive pact kicks in and I automatically declare war on Rome. Now all of a sudden I have a huge negative diplomatic modifier with the entire world because "you declared war on a leader that you had a declaration of friendship with!" This mechanic is completely broken. Rome should be credited for declaring war against both the Dutch and me, especially considering that the defensive pact is available knowledge on the diplomacy screen. At the very least, I should not be credited with backstabbing Rome when he is the one who declared war! Now my game is basically ruined because no one will want to trade with me for the rest of it. Wish someone would fix this.

Now even the Dutch are pissed at me for backstabbing Rome! That is just completely nonsensical.

You automatically go to war? Or does it give you the option to break the pact?

Rome declares war on the Dutch and then it automatically says "you have declared war on Rome" and then the entire world, including the Dutch has a huge negative diplomatic modifier against me.

You automatically go to war? Or does it give you the option to break the pact?

Auto-war, no way to prevent it once the pact has been signed.

This has been a recognized issue pretty much since launch; if you are going to sign a defensive pact, you must be ABSOLUTELY SURE that the other signatory will not declare war on any of your other friends. Since the AI is unpredictable, this basically means that you can only afford to have one friend if you sign a defensive pact.

I feel that Firaxis should patch this mechanic so that a DoW against a friend resulting from a defensive pact does not count as a backstab. I suppose this means that you could engage in "carte blanche" wars by bribing a friend to declare war on your defensive signatory, but that would seem to be easily fixable: just hard-code the AI to never accept a bribe from one defensive signatory to attack the other.

Defensive Pacts = diplomatic death traps. Don't even think about signing them; you'll just have what happened to you happen to you and you'll be toast. In my opinion, they're extremely broken and are probably one of the major things that should have been patched by now.

Defensive Pacts = diplomatic death traps. Don't even think about signing them; you'll just have what happened to you happen to you and you'll be toast. In my opinion, they're extremely broken and are probably one of the major things that should have been patched by now.

This could be true and something else that interferes with the neutrality of the civilization because when any civilization that is in the pact DoWs all civilizations that are in the defensive pact automatically are dragged into the war unless they individually sign peace with the enemy and leave the rest of the civilizations in the war.

Yeah, I always felt the DP mechanic should mirror the team mechanic... if you are part of a team and someone declares war on your teammate... they also DoW you (not you DoW them like DP). If the Defensive Pact worked this way, they'd be worth doing as it is they're only worth doing if you sign no other DoF. Only use DP when you have ONE friend because multiple friends can be turned against each other via bribery.

While we're on the subject of broken mechanics... this is probably a known issue, but I don't feel like searching the bugs forum right now but I just noticed that Battering Ram has Cover I & No Defensive Bonuses and through testing in my current mod, I've discovered No Defensive Bonuses means just that - NONE! Not even from other promos like Cover. So... which of the devs didn't think THAT combo through?

I agree they are diplomatic traps, but they're only semi-broken as they're supposed to be sort of bad (like the real ones) They work like defensive pacts are supposed to work: if someone declares war on a member of the pact, the others have promised to automatically declare war on the attacker. They're supposed to be strictly a deterrent, but when they fail they cause a mess.

What could be ameliorated is that normally a defensive pact isn't universal, Few nations were foolish enough to sign global defensive pacts. Normally they specified which potential enemies were covered by the pact, so if for eg. Venice was friend with Milan and Florence, it wouldn't have signed a defensive pact with Florence that would cover a possible DoW to Florence by Milan, it would specifically cover an attack on either city by a mutual threat, like Austria or Hungary.

It's how it should be in the game. You should be able to sign many specific pacts, against specific Civs. They would become a tangled mess, but that's how it's supposed to be. Also, signing a defensive pact with someone should instantly give a negative diplo modifier to both nations from the target of the pact, as it means you consider that nation is a threat to you and ally to deter him from declaring war. They amount to a denouncement, more or less.

This could be true and something else that interferes with the neutrality of the civilization because when any civilization that is in the pact DoWs all civilizations that are in the defensive pact automatically are dragged into the war unless they individually sign peace with the enemy and leave the rest of the civilizations in the war.
I'm not quite following. If a defensive pact signer declares war on another civ, the defense pact should dissolve. It's not an alliance or team that follows if the signer(s) is/are the aggressor.

Yeah, I always felt the DP mechanic should mirror the team mechanic... if you are part of a team and someone declares war on your teammate... they also DoW you (not you DoW them like DP). If the Defensive Pact worked this way, they'd be worth doing as it is they're only worth doing if you sign no other DoF. Only use DP when you have ONE friend because multiple friends can be turned against each other via bribery.
I wouldn't think of it in terms of a team, but I agree that game-mechanic-wise an aggressor declaring war on a pact signer also declaring war on the other signer(s) would fix the issue and be cleaner to understand who the agressor even is. This was especially bad in Civ4 with vassals as there used to be a declaration of war list that could be a dozen notification lines, and when it was done you were left wondering what even happened and who made the first move. The explanation of the current defense pact is pretty clear though in that the signer(s) each declare war on the aggressor. In keeping with that, I still agree that the diplomatic penalty should probably be relaxed, as it leads to diplomacy that really doesn't make sense. The rest of the world should know, as was stated, that a defensive pact was in place.

What could be ameliorated is that normally a defensive pact isn't universal, Few nations were foolish enough to sign global defensive pacts. Normally they specified which potential enemies were covered by the pact, so if for eg. Venice was friend with Milan and Florence, it wouldn't have signed a defensive pact with Florence that would cover a possible DoW to Florence by Milan, it would specifically cover an attack on either city by a mutual threat, like Austria or Hungary.

It's how it should be in the game. You should be able to sign many specific pacts, against specific Civs. They would become a tangled mess, but that's how it's supposed to be. Also, signing a defensive pact with someone should instantly give a negative diplo modifier to both nations from the target of the pact, as it means you consider that nation is a threat to you and ally to deter him from declaring war. They amount to a denouncement, more or less.

So long as the game would present an easy to understand GUI for tracking this, I'm all for it. May be a bit for the AI to handle though in choosing which aggressors to put on the list.

I agree they are diplomatic traps, but they're only semi-broken as they're supposed to be sort of bad (like the real ones) They work like defensive pacts are supposed to work: if someone declares war on a member of the pact, the others have promised to automatically declare war on the attacker. They're supposed to be strictly a deterrent, but when they fail they cause a mess.

I like this suggestion. It would make things slightly more historically accurate and make the gameplay more interesting to boot. The only times I've ever wanted to sign DPs are when I have a super-hostile neighbor (cough, cough, Shaka, cough) and want my powerful ally to lend a hand if he attacks.

I like this suggestion. It would make things slightly more historically accurate and make the gameplay more interesting to boot. The only times I've ever wanted to sign DPs are when I have a super-hostile neighbor (cough, cough, Shaka, cough) and want my powerful ally to lend a hand if he attacks.

They also more or less seem to work as a deterrent.

I had a Venice game in which I was DoWed by the neighbor Bismarck a few times. I didn't even have the territory to get a large enough military to deter him on my own. After I signed a DP with Hiawatha, largest military power, Declared friend of Germany and main destination for Bismarck's TR, Germany finally left me alone.

Fairly powerful Rome did DoW Hiawatha a few times, but it played in my favor as Rome generally wanted me out of the way and paid handsomely to get peace just a few turns after the DoW. That let me get promotions for units I kept in a CS near Roman land for that purpose, and then they could return to protect Venice.

As they stand DP are a very, very high risk venture, though - and even if they were changed to target a particular Civ or Civs they would still be high risk (which is fine, the game needs such casus belli... it's boring and unrealistic to be able to plan perfectly diplomacy so no surprise or unforeseen entanglement can happen).

Like this:

In that same game during one of those "white wars" with Rome, Augustus ended up stealing two CS allies from third parties, which meant they declared war on me and of course they were under the protection of a few until then friendly Civs that denounced me and Hiawatha. That sort of entanglements needs to stay. "Defensive Pacts" aren't peaceful, they're promises of aggression to deter aggression or to create a casus belli or disguise the real motives for declaring war. A few great diplomats considered only fools and warmongers with an agenda signed DP, them and the nations desperate from an ally/protector.

What doesn't work right now are situations like the one already described: You have a DP with a declared friend, and another declared friend DoW the first, forcing you to automatically declare war on your second friend... but you're the only one seen as a betrayer.

First of all, you should always be asked if you will honor your word or not first. In the first case, you willingly betray one ally (the attacker) for another (the target you decide to side with), so you should get the betrayer penalty. In the second, you should only get the "broken promise" and betrayal modifier from the Civ you had a DP with and have let down, but a positive modifier from the attacker. Basically, it should be like the "please denounce X or else..."/pick the friend you want to lose mechanics. Ideally, it would also be some coefficient of diplomatic trust with all other rulers that would affected, but the diplo system is simplistic and doesn't differentiate between you reputation as a trader (trustworthy, fair), diplomat (loyal, honest, honorable etc.) and your peaceful/aggressive bias. Right now a leader offended by your conquests on another continent might refuse to trade when you've had fair deals with him and all your trading partners for centuries, but the same leader won't be offended that those Longswordmen and Knights belonging to his archenemy and stationed all along his borders are there solely thanks to the Horses and Iron you sold to his aggressive neighbor... That's another big overlook that hurts diplomatic immersion... one just has to think of all the grief (and pressure on the Pope to denounce them) the likes of Austria or Hungary gave Venice or Genoa for selling wood and iron to the Mameluke or Ottomans.

With the present system, and since it's automatic, it's the friend who still DoW someone despite knowing you have a DP with him that should get the betrayer penalty, while you only get the one for the DoW. I'm pretty sure the problem is mostly that the diplo calculations have to wait for your DoW. What should be changed is that when someone declares war, the game should look right away for existing deals between the attacker and the civs with a DP to his target, and consider those deals broken immediately (thus the attacker is considered the backstabber of his friend, for disregarding the fact he had a DP with his target). You still would pay the price for the actual DoW, but not for breaking deals. The only other fair alternative would be to divide the betrayal penalties between the two civs involved, since to a point it's mutual.

You definitely should NOT get diplo penalties with a civ for going to war with them against another civ as a result of a defensive pact. That seems like something that could use a fix.

It's very easy to fix, and that is what makes it surprising that Beach et all did nothing yet about it (never expected Shafer to do anything about anything but talk...).

Anyways, fix: when a member of the DP is declared war on, give the other members the DECISION to intervene or not. If the member bails out of the pact, diplo consequences with former pact partner only (perhaps a smallish "credibility" penalty with other civs); if member decides to go with Pact, even against a Friend, then well, huge penalties deserved.

Easy to fix. Do it.

It's very easy to fix, and that is what makes it surprising that Beach et all did nothing yet about it (never expected Shafer to do anything about anything but talk...).

Anyways, fix: when a member of the DP is declared war on, give the other members the DECISION to intervene or not. If the member bails out of the pact, diplo consequences with former pact partner only (perhaps a smallish "credibility" penalty with other civs); if member decides to go with Pact, even against a Friend, then well, huge penalties deserved.

Easy to fix. Do it.

No. Declaring on a faction that has signed a defensive pact should equate to declaring on both of them. Defensive pacts in their current form are junk; you could easily bring in allies without a DP, but DP is something signed before any wars and makes war a known package deal.

Beyond any reasonable debate, at minimum your defensive pact ally should never, ever under any circumstances give you any demerit whatsoever for honoring your pact with them. That the Dutch got angry with him for helping them is beyond defensible.

Current dev team is better than this. Please do not copy IV's example and leave gamebreaking design mistakes in permanently :sad:. We don't need more equivalents of Apostolic Palace/Broken Overflow/Broken Vassals nonsense. If nothing else, fix this because humans can most certainly abuse it in reverse, and knowing the mechanics can and will do so with far more consistency than the AI.

Aggressive declarations of war need to be on the person making them. Honoring a *defensive* pact is not something that should be a global scandal, and the fact that it can be made one opens up way more abuse than allowing one to honor it against a DoF civ without major penalty.

No. Declaring on a faction that has signed a defensive pact should equate to declaring on both of them. Defensive pacts in their current form are junk; you could easily bring in allies without a DP, but DP is something signed before any wars and makes war a known package deal.

Beyond any reasonable debate, at minimum your defensive pact ally should never, ever under any circumstances give you any demerit whatsoever for honoring your pact with them. That the Dutch got angry with him for helping them is beyond defensible.

Current dev team is better than this. Please do not copy IV's example and leave gamebreaking design mistakes in permanently :sad:. We don't need more equivalents of Apostolic Palace/Broken Overflow/Broken Vassals nonsense. If nothing else, fix this because humans can most certainly abuse it in reverse, and knowing the mechanics can and will do so with far more consistency than the AI.

Aggressive declarations of war need to be on the person making them. Honoring a *defensive* pact is not something that should be a global scandal, and the fact that it can be made one opens up way more abuse than allowing one to honor it against a DoF civ without major penalty.

Your point is valid, but mine comes from another model that works very well and exactly like I proposed: the EU series. When you get a call to arms from an ally (the equivalent of a DP in civ), you get the choice to a) honor it, or b) bail out. a) has consequences not only related to the war itself, but diplo repercussions related to the conflict; b) has a big diplo hit with former ally (and alliance, obviously, invalidated), and diminished diplo effects on part of the rest of the world (in the form of decreased "credibility" or trustworthiness)..

Works very well in EU's setting, and we do not need to debate that EU's setting is far more complex than civ's... or do we? :D

"Who is considered the aggressor for honoring a defensive pact" and "honor it or bow out and lose credibility" are two separate issues. I wouldn't mind your change, but it doesn't fix the more broken core issue; that civs hate the defensively postured civ that's honoring an agreement as a backstabber.

Without altering your mechanics, a civ can be put in a position where its credibility is shot no matter the choice, and can be put there by a nation doing something objectively aggressive as a warmonger...in fact be hated more than said warmonger.

Top Bottom