Civ V Civilizations Roster

I like the Iroquois idea and i would like for the English Empire to be renamed British, I'm not sure about historical accuracy but it just annoys me a little and I'm too lazy to learn how to change it

I'm guessing that this lady here will be a leader of a civ too, but I can't figure out who she is. Boudica or Jeanne d'Arc maybe ? Any guesses ?

That was CivRev's Catherine. I don't think having her in the sidebar indicates that she's a leader though (though she probably will be)

Well, if we're listing LHs, here's my wish list (two per civ for consistency):

France- Napoleon, Louis XIV
China- QSHD, Taizong
Incas- Pachacuti

Agree with these, though personally I'd prefer Philip Augustus to Louis XIV.

Rome- Julius, Augustus
Germany- Frederick II, Bismarck
Russia- Catherine, Peter
Persia- Darius, Cyrus

These are boring. Rome is around for over 2000 years (over a 1000 even if you don't count the time after Theodosius I). Julius and Augustus are alive at the same time. Maybe one of them, with Constantine or Trajan.

Same problems for me with most of the other selections, which offend me as a medievalist. ;) For Russia, have either Peter or Catherine ... then Svyatoslav the Conqueror, Vladimir the Great, Yarolslav the Wise, or some other Kievan guy. Likewise ditch Darius, and have a Sasanian ... like Khusrau Anushirvan, Ardashir or Shapur. With Germany likewise, ditch one and have Otto the Great or some other ruler of medieval Germany instead.

Arabia- Saladin, Harun al-Rashid

Saladin was a successful Arab leader, and he is famous in the west. He isn't close however in importance to guys like Abd al-Malik, the Rashidun caliphs, and so on, who ruled all the Arabs.

The core 18 civs of Civ 5 should represent the powerful empires of our historical timeline - how Mali got in vanilla Civ IV, I'll never know. These empires should have two conditions: 1. significant world domination either militarily, economically, or culturally, and 2. have lasted for more than a few decades. Fringe, segmented, small, or short-lived nations should be saved for interesting expansion packs. Some civilizations represented now weren't even true empires, just trade networks united by somewhat similar culture - no strong united government i.e. Vikings, Celts, Maya, Native Americans. This is only my humble opinion of course.

Vanilla
British Empire
United States of America
Germany
Russian Empire
French Empire
Empire of China
Aztec Empire
Spanish Empire
Portuguese Empire
Dutch Empire
Roman Empire
Greek Empire
Carthaginian Empire
Egyptian Empire
Byzantine Empire
Babylonian Empire
Persian Empire
Arab Empire

Expansion
Mongols
Japanese Empire
Maya Cities
Sioux Tribe
Cherokee Tribe
Incan Empire
Sumer Empire
Vikings
The Celts
Eskimos
Phoenicia
Mali
Nubians
Zulu
Khmer
India
and others... :)

The Mali were the second-largest empire in the world at their height (after the Mongols). They had scholars and students from hundreds of miles around in Timbuktu. They are far, far more important than Carthage, the Dutch, or the Byzantines.

My idea for leaders for civs that will probably be in:
America: Washington, Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt
Germany: Charlemagne, Frederick Barbarossa, Bismarck
Egypt: Ramesses II and either Hatshepsut or Cleopatra
Greece: Pericles, Leonidas, Alexander
Rome: Julius Caesar, Augustus, and Traianus or Constantinus I
Britain: Richard I, Elizabeth I, Victoria
France: Jeanne D'Arc, Louis XIV, Napoleon I
Russia: Peter, Catherine, Stalin
China: Qin Shi Huang, one of the Ming emperors, Mao
India: Ashoka, the dude that built the Taj Mahal, Gandhi
Persia: Cyrus, Xerxes
Japan: Tokugawa, Meiji
Aztecs: Atototzli, Moctezuma
Mongols: Chingis Khan, Kublai Khan
Arabia: Abu Bakr, Saladin

And for the civs that have a reasonable chance to be one of the three others:
Zulu: Shaka
Inca: Pachacamac, Huayna Capac
Maya: Pacal II
Ethiopia: Haile Selassie, Zara Yaqob
Spain: Carlos I, Isabella
Netherlands: Willem van Oranje, Johan de Witt
Turkey: Mehmed II, Suleiman, Atatürk
Mali: Mansa Musa
Iroquios: Hiawatha
Babylon: Hammurabi, Nebuchadnezzar
Cathage: Hannibal

That is way to Euro-centric.
You have 4 non European/Ancient Mediterranean civilizations. Two Middle Eastern, one Asian, and one Mesoamerican.

You view the Portuguese as more important historically than the Mongols and Indians?
The Portuguese Empire (beyond a few trading posts) was about as short lived as the Mongol Empire, if you exclude the Golden Horde. Various Indian Empires were also quite powerful and significant.

Vanilla
British Empire
United States of America
Germany
Russian Empire
French Empire
Empire of China
Aztec Empire
Spanish Empire
Portuguese Empire
Dutch Empire
Roman Empire
Greek Empire
Carthaginian Empire
Egyptian Empire
Byzantine Empire
Babylonian Empire
Persian Empire
Arab Empire

You put the Aztecs, Dutch, and Carthaginians before the Inca, Mongols, and Mali? :confused: In terms of IMPORTANCE???

I hope that they give the Native American civ a rightful name, and classification. Wooo! Civ5 :D

1. significant world domination either militarily, economically, or culturally, and 2. have lasted for more than a few decades.

how Mali got in vanilla Civ IV, I'll never know.

Aztec Empire

One of these was one of the largest empires of its time, whose gold, traded in great trains, fueled the European renaissance, and which was considered a cultural center of their religion's world, which existed for about five centuries.

The other built Pyramids and held human sacrifices.

(and were never more than a regional state, which conquered a fairly small (in the grand scheme of things) part of southern and central Mexico, which lasted precisely only a few decade, and whose culture was largely swept aside by Conquistadors)

My idea for leaders for civs that will probably be in:
America: Washington, Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt
Germany: Charlemagne, Frederick Barbarossa, Bismarck
Egypt: Ramesses II and either Hatshepsut or Cleopatra
Greece: Pericles, Leonidas, Alexander
Rome: Julius Caesar, Augustus, and Traianus or Constantinus I
Britain: Richard I, Elizabeth I, Victoria
France: Jeanne D'Arc, Louis XIV, Napoleon I
Russia: Peter, Catherine, Stalin
China: Qin Shi Huang, one of the Ming emperors, Mao
India: Ashoka, the dude that built the Taj Mahal, Gandhi
Persia: Cyrus, Xerxes
Japan: Tokugawa, Meiji
Aztecs: Atototzli, Moctezuma
Mongols: Chingis Khan, Kublai Khan
Arabia: Abu Bakr, Saladin

And for the civs that have a reasonable chance to be one of the three others:
Zulu: Shaka
Inca: Pachacamac, Huayna Capac
Maya: Pacal II
Ethiopia: Haile Selassie, Zara Yaqob
Spain: Carlos I, Isabella
Netherlands: Willem van Oranje, Johan de Witt
Turkey: Mehmed II, Suleiman, Atatürk
Mali: Mansa Musa
Iroquios: Hiawatha
Babylon: Hammurabi, Nebuchadnezzar
Cathage: Hannibal

Charlemagne is too controversial choice for German leader, I think, because both France and Germany consider the Franks as their predecessor.

The constructor of Taj Mahal was Shah Jahan the Magnificent.

I don't want to see the Native Americans return, "Poverty Point" and "Snaketown" as cities? Give me the actual empires and great civilizations of the Americas first; the Maya, Aztecs and Inca.

As for the Civs I actually want, Germany + Bismarck has and always will been my number one choice so I'm glad that's out of the way (though for some reason Bismarck is missing his Pickelhaube :(). I also definitely want the Ottoman Empire in from the beginning. Other then that, I'd like to see where they go with it. :)

The Mali were the second-largest empire in the world at their height (after the Mongols).
Do you have any proof of this? As far as I can tell Mali ruled nothing more then a good portion of Western Africa, no where near the size of the Roman Empire or Alexander the Great's conquest (both runner ups to the Mongols). Just wondering. :)

Do you have any proof of this? As far as I can tell Mali ruled nothing more then a good portion of Western Africa, no where near the size of the Roman Empire or Alexander the Great's conquest (both runner ups to the Mongols). Just wondering. :)

I meant that in the same way as Canada is the world's second biggest country today. I.e. at the time of its height (1300?) Mali was the second-largest empire, though it was later surpassed by other empires. But also, Africa is a pretty big continent. It has harbored many massive empires.

Civ 4's inclusion of the Mali was good. We had never had a West African civ before that ... which is unbelievable, given that this region is one of the main centres of civilization. The Mali weren't known because of the popular US historical education, which involves intense coverage of modern western history, Rome 1st century AB/BC, Greece 5th/4th century BC, but has almost no coverage of anything in between or outside western Eurasia.

I don't want to see the Native Americans return, "Poverty Point" and "Snaketown" as cities? Give me the actual empires and great civilizations of the Americas first; the Maya, Aztecs and Inca.

As for the Civs I actually want, Germany + Bismarck has and always will been my number one choice so I'm glad that's out of the way (though for some reason Bismarck is missing his Pickelhaube :(). I also definitely want the Ottoman Empire in from the beginning. Other then that, I'd like to see where they go with it. :)

He's right, but mispresented it.

The actual fact is that at the time of its greatest extent, the Malinese empire was the second largest Empire in the world, behind only the Mongols. However, that doesn't mean other empires, which existed at other points in history, weren't larger than Mali. They just weren't quite so big when the Mali were.

Charlemagne is too controversial choice for German leader, I think, because both France and Germany consider the Franks as their predecessor.
You're right. He should be a leader of both France and Germany.

Top Bottom