SteamDB: "Bison" Depot??

Hey, do we know that there is "Sid Meier's Civilization V Simplified Chinese" on the depot list? I'm not sure this is known or not.

Check out. http://steamdb.info/app/8930/#section_depots Numbers 235590 and 235586. Also, I can't seem to find the WOTAW depot someone wrote about on an earlier page. The number 99614, I think it was it, is not there anymore.

Yes, most of us know that but the Simplified Chinese seems to be "unused". If that's the case, then I have no clue what the "Chinese" depot is.

Anyway, back on topic. Bison could literally mean anything. When I first heard about BNW, I immediately thought to myself, the New World! Apparently, there were only 2 civs that were from the New World. So Bison could be a clue to a native plains tribe, but Firaxis might stump us and add a completely different civilization that has nothing to do with bisons, or a scenario about the natives of America before Columbus (or after).

According to wikipedia, there are about 55 native Haida speakers left in the world, unfortunately. I had some cool ideas for them as well, but it might not be practicable. However, the Tlingit are a bit better in finding speakers.

According to wikipedia, there are about 55 native Haida speakers left in the world, unfortunately. I had some cool ideas for them as well, but it might not be practicable. However, the Tlingit are a bit better in finding speakers.

That's true and probably lends more credence to a Pacific Northwest amalgamation type of civ for the area.

My hope: The Simplified Chinese depot is some sort of code-word for a DLC with new southeast Asia civ(s) (well, that region WAS once known as Indochina...) Firaxis is hoping to surprise us by making us think it's just a dull translation of the game into Chinese.
Reality: It's just a dull translation of the game into Chinese.

Seeing as there was Simplified Chinese on the list, perhaps Firaxis is expanding the linguistic range of the game further, and the "Bison" depot is just translating Civ V into Bison?

...Something tells me @Viregel is right about the Bison DLC...

i'm starting to think that the Chinese thing is to be a civ 5 translation to Chinese and the Bison is probably a code name for a DLC. Unfortunately, I don't think that it will include anything interesting :(

Just of fun: :D:D:D:D

For some if us new DLC civs are interesting, even if they are recyled civs from previous civ versions.
My bet is it will contain Plains Native Americans but hoping for Hittites or Timurids.
Will buy right away as long as we get civ or senario.

The Chinese thing is the (traditional) Chinese translation of the game. Yes, it exists. By the same vein, the simplified Chinese thing is most likely the simplified Chinese translation of the game. Boringly so, unfortunately.

Well, to be fair, it wasn't likely they'd release two new civs at the same time. Bison could still be a civ.

If I understand correctly, it's probably related to mainland China vs. Taiwan. One uses traditional Chinese characters more, while the other uses simplified characters.

It doesn't necessarily have to be with settlements moving. Theres all sorts of crazy ways to show a nomadic civ.

One could be to have any tile a unit is stationed on be a workable tile. Maybe a dog soldier rides out 7 hexes from the capital and parks onto a gold mine to mine it. Might require some setup time.

This is a mechanic in the Civilization board game. Scouts can be used to send the yield of a neutral (or enemy) tile on which they are stationed to one of the their cities. It's a REALLY cool mechanic!

This is a mechanic in the Civilization board game. Scouts can be used to send the yield of a neutral (or enemy) tile on which they are stationed to one of the their cities. It's a REALLY cool mechanic!

Wasn't that the colony mechanic from CivIII? It's been awhile since I played that one.

Wasn't that the colony mechanic from CivIII? It's been awhile since I played that one.

Similar. You could send a worker to a non-claimed tile to get the resource. It would create a colony, and, IIRC, would expend the worker.

Similar. You could send a worker to a non-claimed tile to get the resource. It would create a colony, and, IIRC, would expend the worker.

Thanks, I knew it was something like that.

I actually kind of miss that mechanic. All too often there is like a lone source of Iron or other vital strategic resource that is just "too far" to justify building a city for, and it would be nice to have "territory disputes" over colonies a tad too close to an opponent.

As a side note, any know if that is moddable, or if there's a good mod that implements this?

In Civ III, the colony was permanent (I think it turned into a fort or something if someone's cultural borders expanded over it).

In the board game, the Scout automatically sends the yield of a tile to a city of your chosing at the start of a turn. This includes neutral/unclaimed tiles AND tiles owned by other civs. In addition, any resources on that tile become accessible to the city. Unlike the Civ III colony, the Scout is free to move to a different tile every turn.

In effect, the Scout figure in the board game works as an explorer (revealing new map tiles), a cowboy/prospector ("herding" tile yields to your cities), and a pseudo-spy ("stealing" tile yields from your enemies). So they are very versatile pieces that remain useful throughout the entire game! Unlike the Scouts in Civ V...:crazyeye: I would love to see a mechanic like this implemented in the PC game. Scouts really need to be made more useful in the later phases of the game.

Time for shameless self-promotion! I have a review of the board game on my personal blog:
http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2011/04/09/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-board-game-review.aspx
Feel free to check it out if you're interested. There's also a review for the first expansion to the board game. I own the second expansion but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I want to share something with you guys. So, I went to the steam link on the first page and clicked on the Bison depot.

http://steamdb.info/app/266720/

If you enter that link, you'll see that there is a list called "Packages that include this app". It has 6 items, three of them were updated some hours ago. I clicked on them, and two of them seem to have a restriction for purchase in some countries. See here:

http://steamdb.info/sub/36076/

This one is restricted to 15 countries, and, coincidentaly, they are the ex-members of the USSR. Are we getting somewhere? I'm not sure about how all this Depot thing works, but this information intrigued me a bit. Could it be possible that they are creating a USSR DLC and avoiding to sell it on the countries that formerly took part of it? The other item is only restricted to two countries: Taiwan and India. I don't understand what does all of it means, but... maybe this is promising and I'm unaware of. What do you all think?

I want to share something with you guys. So, I went to the steam link on the first page and clicked on the Bison depot.

http://steamdb.info/app/266720/

If you enter that link, you'll see that there is a list called "Packages that include this app". It has 6 items, three of them were updated some hours ago. I clicked on them, and two of them seem to have a restriction for purchase in some countries. See here:

http://steamdb.info/sub/36076/

This one is restricted to 15 countries, and, coincidentaly, they are the ex-members of the USSR. Are we getting somewhere? I'm not sure about how all this Depot thing works, but this information intrigued me a bit. Could it be possible that they are creating a USSR DLC and avoiding to sell it on the countries that formerly took part of it? The other item is only restricted to two countries: Taiwan and India. I don't understand what does all of it means, but... maybe this is promising and I'm unaware of. What do you all think?

That same item has two weird parameters:
billing type - Proof of Prepurchase Only
codeclass - Steam 2010 Key

Does this mean that only the people who preordered Civ 5 will get this?

Top Bottom