cultural question

badger_md

Chieftain
Curious how many great artists people settle in cultural games?

My last game, I settled 10 great artists and then used the last 5 or so to make a perma golden age.

Is 10 too many? Do others start using them for golden ages sooner.

I won the game fwiw at 340 turns on Immortal. I got all the relevant wonders (including petra with lotsa desert tiles near my capital :))

I can usually win around 270-290 turns with science victory.

Have others experienced that cultural games take much longer also?

Thanks in advance for thoughtful responses.

Long thread here that have players share all kind of their experiences:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=467105

But generally, yes. Cultural games is on average longer than the other 3, and you really have to start very early that you're aiming for one to get an optimal victory under 300 turns.

10 artists is alright, depends on your tiles, of course. Do you put it all in the capital because it has hermitage? How well is growth? Etcetc. But I usually have 5-6 and with the relevant wonders beat it under 300 turns, some have more and can beat it quicker.

@Tachii: I put all of my GA in the capital b/c of hermitage. My growth was very good b/c I insist on a heavy river/grasslands filled capital or I restart. I had about 30 pop at the end IIRC.

If I go pretty vertical, I can normally win a cultural game before some other victories. (or at least science, which seems to be the longest for me)

i agree its generally slower than science, at least on immortal because there's actually competition for wonders and wars slow you down a little. On emperor and below you can wonder spam to victory pretty easily. 10 landmarks sounds about right. with faith purchases and free ones you should be able to get 10 plus plenty of golden age.

I'd also not settle 10 artists off the bat and then pop all the later ones for GAs. I might just pop a golden age if say, I'm building a key wonder or need gold to rush buy opera houses/public schools when I only have 3-4 landmarks.

Top Bottom