Strange peace price behaviour

traius

His own worst enemy
This is far from conclusive, but in the latest game I'm playing, the price of peace has gone UP when I've destroyed a vassals units. Before killing a caravel, 395, after killing his vassal's caravel, 410? In another case in the same game, I wiped his vassal's stack, and while I lost some units, I clearly came out way ahead, and the price of peace went from 690 gold to one of my weak cities. Later, after taking one of his vassal's cities, it went from my weak city to a core city! (this last one is kind of neutral though, as I seem to recall war success of taking cities is actually quite low, and I lost more units than they did). What gives? Is this a known bug?

The AI doesn't give a crap how you do vs his vassals, or how your vassals do vs him.

Maybe it's to do with relative strength compared to the average of all civs.

So when you wipe out a vassal's stack, you weaken that civ, but this means that the master's strength is higher compared to the average of all civs, so he feels more powerful and is less willing to make peace.

Some civilizations offer more for peace when you do serious damage hy taking away many of their vital wonder full cities.

Well, is it a bug? Why shouldn't reparations get higher the more damage you have to compensate for? Actually sounds quite plausible...

While that might make sense, it's in fact the opposite, in so far as I know. The more damage you do, the more they will pay to get peace, as a function of war success

The AI doesn't give a crap how you do vs his vassals, or how your vassals do vs him.

This is what I thought was the case based on my understanding of war success.

So when you wipe out a vassal's stack, you weaken that civ, but this means that the master's strength is higher compared to the average of all civs, so he feels more powerful and is less willing to make peace.

And this is the only remaining thing I could think of that would be at all logical. But it still doesn't explain how the price went up for killing a vassal's caravel, which was the one I specifically tested. 395 gold before killing it, 410 after.

Culture Bomb said:

Nothing like that governing this.
traius said:
Before killing a caravel, 395, after killing his vassal's caravel, 410?
Was the caravel killed without losses, and was the price check done immediately before and after killing it?
If you didn't lose anything and no turns were changed then something weird is going on :think:

The most probable cause is (what I feel is) an overrepresentation of the power ratio in how the value of peace is calculated.
The way its plonked it skews everthing towards the 'stronger' player. Specifically the value of a point of war success isn't equal between 2 warring civs.

The calculations are carried out for each team, with the AI having extra steps based on its situation and strategy that can screw the player (total war strategy doubles its own peace value!). With the final values subtracted from one another to determine who pays and how much.

Oddly the total number of cities and pop belonging to both sides of a war are used in each players calculation!
Teams are used, so vassals are counted corectly.
Spoiler :
The main part of the calculation for the value of peace being offered by a civ, including everything that determines the value of a humans peace offer, (but ignoring the later AI fudge factors as I don't understand all of whats goign on there) can be split into 2 parts.

The first part.
(100 + 3*Number of our cities + 3*Number of their cities + Our pop + Their pop) * Our power / (Our power + Their power)
The power factor here is share of the total power of both teams, if we have 0.5 of their power we have 33% of the total.
Due to this the more powerful civ will start with the peace price advantage, which makes sense. Unfortunately it also means that both your and their cities and pop have a greater value to the stronger civ than the weaker.....
This means that when you are the weaker party, increasing the total city and pop count by settling and/or growing your cities actually causes the other sides peace values to increase faster than your own making it more costly!

The second part,
War success in the code is added to the initial cities+pop before multiplying by the power factor, but I thought it better to expand it out to highlight something.
20 * war success * Our power / (Our power + Their power)
Here we get almost exactly the same, the stronger AIs war success is worth more than the weaker ones. If you have 0.5 * their power your kills are only worth half as much as theirs....
As we know at higher levels the AI almost always has significantly larger armies for much of the game so this hurts.
and this is before the AI only multipliers come into effect...

The more damage you do, the more they will pay to get peace, as a function of war success

True, but didn't you say you're the one who has to pay in this situation? So the AI clearly feels supperior to you (and increasingly so - you're the one losing units) and is the one making demands...

Top Bottom