10 leaders for Civ V, which will you choose?

Traun

Chieftain
Let's assume for a moment that Civ V will have only ten leaders(highly unlikely, but this way it's more fun), which will you see fitting(don't limit yourselves just to those present in the current game)?

My list:

1.Hammurabi - first law, one of the greatest civilizations in ancient history, that guy is a A+ material.
2.Cyrus - first human rights, build a significant empire, what more do can a man do?
3.Asoka - it's Asoka - nuff' said(he should be given the aggressive trait in a future installment though).
4.August Caesar - he stabilized the empire and ensured her survival( Julius didn't build Rome singlehandedly)
5.Napoleon - we need a conqueror and what's better then a person who led the French to war and actually won many battles.
6.Otto Von Bismark - I guess he is better then the alternatives and it must be noted that without him Germany wouldn't exist.
7.Stalin - here I was having trouble choosing between him and Peter, but Stalin did win WWII, so it's natural to give him some credit.(also he has been in every Civ game)
8.Washington - purely because of the market, Alexander or Genghis would be better choices but...a product is a product. However it must be noted that Washington was a remarkable politic worthy of respect.
9.King Lionheart - what?
10. Qin Shi Huang - he made one of the largest civilizations on earth and China is the country that hasn't been destroyed yet.

Here's mine:

1. Hammurabi.
2. Hatshepsut.
3. Cyrus.
4. Julius Caesar.
5. Genghis Khan.
6. Qin.
7. Elizabeth I.
8. Washington.
9. Pericles.
10. Isabella.

Hard to choose... impossible to choose, really. Play without Catherine? Or Bismarck? Or Asoka? or Shaka? Or...

1. F. Roosevelt
2. Elizabeth (but I love Churchill!)
3. Augustus Caesar
4. Alexander
5. Napoleon
6. Bismarck
7. Qin Shi Huang
8. Genghis Khan (I'd actually like to see Attila lead the Huns, but the Mongols stood the test of time.
9. Hammurabi
10. Stalin

No particular order there.

Elizabeth
Hammurabi
Ramesses II
Cyrus
Pericles
Augustus
Lincoln
Asoka
Genghis Khan
Victoria

Alexander - He's been in each one I've played, why not?
Washington - If it wasn't for his charisma, we may not be talking about this...
Gengis Khan - I hate him out of my games, but geeze, what a conquest in the real world...
Qin - Might of been a nutter latter in life, but first recorded to unite China under one banner and claim the Mandate of Heaven? That's a feat.
Zara - He's just cool. 'nuff said.
Gahndi - Yes, I know I misspelled his name. Shut up. Driving out the English from India without force, even if he wasn't a leader IRL, he should be here.

(brain fried at this point)
Rammess II
Gilgimesh
Stalin/Peter
Elizabeth
Meiji Hannable (misspelled, shut up.)

Genghis Khan
Alexander
Julius Caesar
Taizong
Akbar
Abu Bakr
Cyrus
Napoleon
Elizabeth
Ivan III

That represents ten of the most important civilizations in history: Mongolia, Greece, Rome, China, India, Arabia, Persia, France, England and Russia. Three Asian, three European, three Middle-Eastern. Though I sort of regret not having Egypt, the U.S., Japan, Germany and Babylon.

Genghis Khan
Hatshepsut
Victoria
Julius Caesar
Gandhi
Mao Zedong
Ivan the Terrible
Napoleon
Tokugawa
Lincoln

Genghis Khan (Mongolia)
Julius Caesar (Rome)
Napoleon (France)
von Bismarck (Germany)
Saladin (Arab)
Suleyman the Magnificent (Turkey)
Sadat (Egypt)
Luther King (America)
Stalin (Russia)
Churchill (Britain)

Hammurabi - Babylon
Marcus Aurelius - Rome
Theodora - Byzantium
Isabella - Spain
Thomas Jefferson - America
Cao Cao - China
Catherine - Russia
Hirohito - Japan
Hatshepsut - Egypt
Victoria - Britain

Because of the low number, I'm generally sticking to the more iconic leaders and civs, as opposed to those who may have been just as great historically, but less celebrated on a broad scale, for whatever reason. Of course, that also applies to the civs chosen, to an extent, since 10 civs is highly restrictive even before one begins differentiating between the leaders. In choosing civs, I want the most well-known/celebrated empires, roughly balanced for location and historical achievement, in that order.

Greece - Alexander
Rome - Augustus Caesar (though I certainly wouldn't complain about Julius)
Turkic - Timur/Tamerlane (a sentimental favorite over Genghis, I admit)
Britain - Churchill
America - Jefferson (Canada would be an acceptable North American substitute, but only with Don Cherry as leader)
Persia - Xerxes
Zulu - Shaka (another sentimental favorite, but this time because of game history)
China - Qin
Aztecs - Montezuma (what fun would Civ be without Monty?!?)
Russia - Ivan III

I am not choosing leaders, because I dont know much about them. However I choose civilization, because I can tell how great they are in the current world.

Ancient Civ:
China
India
Egypt
Greece
Rome

Modern Civ:
Japan
England
France
Germany
Russia

Harry Truman (America)
Mohammed (Arabia)
Julius Caesar (Rome)
Qin (China)
Tokugawa Ieyasu (Japan)
David (Hebrews)
Cheops (Egypt)
Victoria (British)
Asoka (India)
Louis XIV (France)

Hitler (Germany)

I'm sorry but he was part of history and caused WWII. He should be on the game. I don't know if you are aware of this but the text books your children read at school still mention him, and study his methods. The guy is dead ok? Playing this game isn't going to lead to his worship and bring back the 3rd reich. No matter how much you hate him leaving him out of Civ is just lame. That you can put his enemy in the game but not him is ******ed. Stalin was responsible for many more deaths and tortured his own people as well. He couldn't have cared less about the poor.

If you are such haters that you are like omg we can't put Hitler in the game it will give him some kind of recognition then you are just sad, and it shows. Great job you left him out of every Civ game. I guess he didn't exist, hah!

Err we have standards. Hitler absolutely ruined his nation. Napoleon, who also over-reached left behind an incredible civil code, modernized Paris and Rome just to name a couple, retains the affection of those he ruled, (Contrast Germany's incredibly strong anti-Nazi sentiment) was one of the greatest generals in history and won some of his greatest victories with a under-fed, de-moralized, badly equipped,un-trained army. Whereas Hitler started out with an incredible army, and spent it on candy and trash. (Stalingrad for example) He was a part of history in the same way Louis XVI was.

Edit: Oh and the List:

Alexander
Qin Shi Huang
Caesar
Hammurabi
Napoleon
Peter The Great
Ramses II
Ghenghis Khan
Washington
Elizabeth

If you are such haters that you are like omg we can't put Hitler in the game it will give him some kind of recognition then you are just sad, and it shows. Great job you left him out of every Civ game. I guess he didn't exist, hah!

One, he was a failure.
Two, anything related to the Third Reich is banned in Germany, and Firaxis doesn't want to lose their German market.
Three, do you really think he's more important than Bismark, Frederick or Charlemagne?

One, he was a failure.

So was Montezuma, Mao, Zara Yaqob, Boudica, Shaka, Napoleon...

Two, anything related to the Third Reich is banned in Germany, and Firaxis doesn't want to lose their German market.

If they want to deny their own history, that's their problem. The local publishers could edit out the unwanted stuff at their own expense. Why do the rest of us have to have our experiences altered to suit the sensibilities of a bunch of moral cowards?

Three, do you really think he's more important than Bismark, Frederick or Charlemagne?

In recent history? Hell yes.

Top Bottom