God & Kings Screenshot Analysis

Seasnake, why you ask for another n.american civ if they had two and s.america just one?

Monthar, you can divide america in 3, actually is the right way in my opinion, but most people just split America in 2, north and south.

But doesnt really matter, the reality is that the south is missing at least one more civ.

Africa I would have North Africa and Black Africa.

Sub-Saharan Africa is probably a better designation than "Black Africa" and Songhai definitely represents this region. While the Niger River area had strong contacts with the Arab world, especially by the time of Askia - it isn't as if they were no longer African. Arab visitors like Ibn Battuta were appalled by what passed as "Islam" in the Sahel. Furthermore, traditional religions persisted and enjoyed popular support long after Islam arrived.

The Bantus could potentially have a place in Civ. Some UA/UI/UU with agriculture/iron for an ancient era focused civ.

Seasnake, why you ask for another n.american civ if they had two and s.america just one?

Monthar, you can divide america in 3, actually is the right way in my opinion, but most people just split America in 2, north and south.

But doesnt really matter, the reality is that the south is missing at least one more civ.

Because North America is huge and it has only one Native Civilization to represent it. I think Mississippi or Sioux or Anasazi would be an excellent grouping and all be pretty prominent, noteworthy civs. It just feels like the Iroquois are so culturally removed from those other native civs that another would be appreciated.

For sSouth America I think Nazca would be first choice, based on the lasting mystery of the Nazca lines, their amazing advances in technology and trade and their 800 year endurance as a dominant culture.

Honestly, I have 14 civs pegged that I would like to have in addition to the ones known to be in or added in GaK:

Khmer
Ethiopia
Zulu
Kongo
Portugal
Sioux
Mississippi
Hittites
Sumeria
Khazars
Assyria
Mahajapit
Nazca
Anasazi

Sub-Saharan Africa is probably a better designation than "Black Africa" and Songhai definitely represents this region. While the Niger River area had strong contacts with the Arab world, especially by the time of Askia - it isn't as if they were no longer African. Arab visitors like Ibn Battuta were appalled by what passed as "Islam" in the Sahel. Furthermore, traditional religions persisted and enjoyed popular support long after Islam arrived.

The Bantus could potentially have a place in Civ. Some UA/UI/UU with agriculture/iron for an ancient era focused civ.

It probably is.

Moderator Action: The discussion about potential new civs would be better suited to the 'Guess the New Civs' thread, so please take it there.

Actually, yeah, they do look like turtles. But why would turtles be a bonus resource? I know they were eaten, but commonly? I would expect crabs before turtles.

I remember the day in Middle School when 10/25 kids in the class thought the Dutch were from Denmark and me and another friend were the only ones that said they were from the Netherlands. My language arts teacher even thought Holland was a country. Point is, we have to consider what civs are common knowledge and which are not.

Yes exactly, I agree. The important thing is to have the common civs people can relate too. This helps them feel comfortable, especially when they are learning to play. Then designers can throw some other obscure but interesting civs into the mix for flavor.

To get back on topic. I cannot make out what that new resource may be. Crabs would be an interesing one, or clams/mussels. Turtles would be interesting too. Shrimp would be another decent guess.

Looking closer they do look like turtles. Interestingly, turtle plastrons had valuable medicinal value, especially in Ancient China. This also links to divination and the use of oracle bones. Turtles could be linked to religion in this game. The plastrons were used to create these oracle bones. These bones were heated until cracked. The cracks were interpreted by a diviner, in charge of the ceremony, to answer questions of divinity by the Shang Kings. The Kings then ruled based on the outcome of the prophecies. If the king asked, "Should I declare war on my enemy?" The diviner would interpret the cracks on the bone used for that ceremony. If the answer was yes, the king would declare war. The answers guided his decisions.

It all makes perfect sense to have turtles in CiV. Bravo! I also took East Asian cultures lately, it taught me quite a few things I did not know. In fact, when I noticed the screenshot showed what looked like a turtle. I did some brief research and one source said turtles were important in Ancient China. I put two an two together and realized, thinking back, that I had learned about the oracle bones.

I think they are penguins. They might be completely useless as a resource (unless you are playing the Polar Bear nation of course) but they are really cute

Turtles as a luxury or commercial resource (for the shells) would make the most sense. Penguins really don't. I probably had a too Eurocentric view when it caught me by surprise at first. They actually do look a lot like turtles.

I don't know if they are turtles, but that was the first thing that came into my mind as well. But turtles would be a very odd resource to choose.

I think they are penguins. They might be completely useless as a resource (unless you are playing the Polar Bear nation of course) but they are really cute
Sorry to say this (but if I don't, someone else will), but polar bears eat seals, not penguins. Penguins live on the other side of the planet from polar bears. :D

Penguins in the middle of the equator?

I don't know if they are turtles, but that was the first thing that came into my mind as well. But turtles would be a very odd resource to choose.

Sorry to say this (but if I don't, someone else will), but polar bears eat seals, not penguins. Penguins live on the other side of the planet from polar bears. :D

Then how is this possible?

I think we can confirm now that combat strength has been scaled up for every unit. As you see in the two screenshots with the Dutch cities has one rifleman been attacked by a machine gun. With strength 25 he wouldn´t have survived with only one hitpoint. But he still has about 50 in this picture.

Top Bottom