After years of playing, what new things have you found in Civ 4?

This causes really odd changes in defense values when bombarding cities with these units, such as cannons only appearing to cause a 2-3% reduction in defense against cities with 20% culture but an invisible 100% due to a castle. In this case 4/5ths of the damage go to the invisible castle defense while only 1/5th goes to the culture you can see.

I have always been bothered by that. The two displays of the results of bombarding a city show different things. I just end up ignoring both and either bombard until I can't, if it is important or I'm not in a hurry, or skip it altogether. In that sense it works like diplomacy works, you are never quite sure what to believe.

I have always been bothered by that. The two displays of the results of bombarding a city show different things. I just end up ignoring both and either bombard until I can't, if it is important or I'm not in a hurry, or skip it altogether. In that sense it works like diplomacy works, you are never quite sure what to believe.

Tis' true, just make a stack consist of pre-gunpowder and gunpowder units - You'll see ;) What baffles me is the Trebuchet (You can't get cannons unless You've got steel technology - so trebs+rifleman is confusing - trebs does not ignore city walls when they attack and yet rifles do ignore city walls when they attack - we should move cannons way back in the tech tree so that They require only the gunpowder to be build (and therefore perhaps nerf them a little bit ;) ) (after all a "cannon" was developed by a 14th century monk ! not some 18-19 century industrialist for Sid's sake ! ;)

Here's an example of cannons properly used !! (against Poland ... sadly , because I am Polish ;) )

Link to video.

I never realized that it was displaying the pre-gunpowder and post-gunpowder defense. I just imagined it was Montezuma on an abacus trying to figure out what the defenses were. That actually almost makes sense, but it could still be made a lot clearer.

I just realized that in the "cheers" icon :cheers: the dude in the middle punches the last guy in the head. Friggin' drunks. :lol:

...oh, wait, this thread isn't for things I just discovered after years of hanging out at CFC? :confused: My bad...

That in territory that is not in your line of sight the animations are frozen. The whale might be in mid-flight or so :D

The whale might be in mid-flight or so :D

I wish I would've gotten a screenshot of this. A year or two ago, I was playing some flat map script or another that happened to have ocean on its southern edge. One of the extreme southern tiles (just above the "edge of the world" where everything is black) there was a whale. After his "jump, blowhole, splash" animation, I could see a ghost whale outline swim down and then back up to the start point, basically in a big vertical circle.

Hope that description gives it justice, it was really cool to watch. I never realized they had an "underwater" animation that you can't normally see.

I think I remember seeing it in flying camera mode. If you turn that on you can see it again!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

After years of playing I just discovered that units offloaded to a fort don't spend movement points.

After years of playing I just discovered that units offloaded to a fort don't spend movement points.

You mean you sailed your boat into the fort and dropped them off, or you actually moved the unit from the offshore boat into the fort?

You mean you sailed your boat into the fort and dropped them off, or you actually moved the unit from the offshore boat into the fort?

I sailed the transport into the fort and dropped them off. Never before had a need to do it, so was happy to learn it could be done. Never occurred to me that a fort functioned like a city. All other fort tricks I was aware of, just not that one.

discovered how archers could easily defeat any swordsmen or axemen with the use of their daggers, and how longbowmen can just hit the these swordsmen or spearmen over the head with their bows and kill 'em just like that, fascinating!

Trade routes aren't working while under anarchy. I don't know if the same get reestablished or new ones get created once order is restored though.

discovered how archers could easily defeat any swordsmen or axemen with the use of their daggers, and how longbowmen can just hit the these swordsmen or spearmen over the head with their bows and kill 'em just like that, fascinating!

On the same note each trebuchet has one weakpoint that collapses the whole structure if you hit it :D

And unless you use Single Unit Graphics, a full-strength axemen is a group of true government employees, and will fight a weakened archer in the style of Bad Guy ninjas.

"Nah, it's okay, Bob- yeah, we could all take him at once, but nah. You go ahead and run up there, me and Joe will just chill back here until he kills you. Then one of us will go up there. Easier that way."

Okay, things that I just recently found out:

* Rally points
* Forts functioning as naval ports -- and a pair of them (or back-to-back against a coastal city) as a canal/locks system
* I can rebase air units on forts

You can also swap build quee by holding shift and switch its spot. Also if you hold alt and click your build choice it makes them permenantly.
Whoa! These two are new to me! Thanks!

Okay, things that I just recently found out:

* Rally points
* Forts functioning as naval ports -- and a pair of them (or back-to-back against a coastal city) as a canal/locks system
* I can rebase air units on forts

Whoa! These two are new to me! Thanks!
Naval units can enter any fort thats adjacent (in any direction) to what the game considers water, sea ice is considered water so you can build long canal chains along the polar coast, or longer than 2 in the presence of inland water.
Forts also function as trade ports connecting coast to land. They have a surprising number of abilities even if they tend to be pretty niche.

Did you know you can select multiple cities for rally points (or changing build queues en masse) by shift clicking multiple city name bars. Similarly cntrl or alt clicking them selects all cities on a continent or all cities that you own, but I can't remember which way round they are!

Naval units can enter any fort thats adjacent (in any direction) to what the game considers water, sea ice is considered water so you can build long canal chains along the polar coast, or longer than 2 in the presence of inland water.
Forts also function as trade ports connecting coast to land. They have a surprising number of abilities even if they tend to be pretty niche.
"trade ports connecting coast to land"?

I'm not sure what you meant by that... can you give an example?

Did you know you can select multiple cities for rally points (or changing build queues en masse) by shift clicking multiple city name bars. Similarly cntrl or alt clicking them selects all cities on a continent or all cities that you own, but I can't remember which way round they are!
This one I already know from the game loading screen... many helpful reminders there :)

"trade ports connecting coast to land"?

I'm not sure what you meant by that... can you give an example?
Trade connections between cities for resources and routes.
Typically if you have 2 islands you will need to have a city on the coast of both to enable trade between them, if an island has no coastal city then a fort on the coast can stand in to enable a connection.

It isn't normally a big deal, but on occasion it can be very useful.

Never knew that. It didn't occur to me that on every landmass you need a coastal city to allow trade to other continents, and I never build forts so I didn't know they can allow trade connections. Those things are actually pretty useful, funky, but useful.

Top Bottom