Unusual tips!

It is definitely a good tip to be wary of this effect. I think the teleporting only happens if you liberate or raze the city. (And the later gives you at least one turn to avoid the effect.)

I noticed few things, but it needs confirmation:
- capture a city, the ship will remain inside.
- liberate a civ, the ship will remain the adjacent coastal tile
- liberate a CS, the ship will be teleported

I'm currently playing England on Communitas Map (very good for a naval game by the way), and there are few CS and civ to liberate (thanks to Gengis and Shaka), I'll try and see what exactly happens.

If you are going to liberate with a melee ship, and you are at risk for this teleport effect, I think the better advise is to liberate with a “green” ship and not one with lots of promotions.

I can't, all my ship have a lots of promotions!:lol:

Come on, I want more Unusual Tips! :D

I have one I like to call "Developement Aid". You can repair improvements located in other realms with your own workers. You can't build them, but can repair them after a war. Might get handy if you want to help someone you want to trade with or you need to protect you :D

Come on, I want more Unusual Tips! :D

I have one I like to call "Developement Aid". You can repair improvements located in other realms with your own workers. You can't build them, but can repair them after a war. Might get handy if you want to help someone you want to trade with or you need to protect you :D

Or you can pillage and repair in enemy territory in order to re-pillage ;)

Once you've beating an AI down to his last city, preferably not his capital, sue for peace and demand that he goes to war with "your next target". If your lucky "your next target" will wipe out the last guy, who only got 1 city and probably no soldiers, and gets warmongonged. Then you DoW the "next target" liberate the last city of the other guy and get a nice deduction in your own warmonger score.

Once you've gotten your happiness up and running, and luxs only constitute a small part of your total happiness. Than you should look at which luxs your cities demands, for them to go into the "we love the king day" and gets bonus growth. So here is the trick you trade your last copy, or copies of several luxs, to gain the demanded luxs.

The "we love the king day" last less then the deal you've made and with a little luck, for the next "we love the king day" your cities will demand the luxs you've traded away which you will gain back automatically in some turns, even shorter if you have other deals involving your luxs ending before that.

Sometimes city-states will give you missions where you need to acquire a luxs you've traded away as well.

On the subject of King days: If your military is strong enough, make a deal where you give 30gpt if you have to, to get that lux they only have one copy of, for one turn, then DoW to break the trade.

AIs that hate you will never trade you luxes even at 3 to 1... but if your military is strong enough you can DoW them and get them in peace deals.

Also, you can trade for cash in a peace deal, which you can normally only do when friends with an AI. You can then break the deal 10 turns later. So if they won't be your friend... ;)

Don't know if this is an exploit. But if you have just one copy of a lux, you can sell it, build a fort on top, improve the lux again, and repeat. It works best with liberty pyramid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Vitruvius, thats an old school exploit, but still works. :)
In BnW, the AI does not like bulk gold deals as much as they did in GnK, they prefer gpt deals. This makes this exploit less exploity.

that said, you can still use that trick to get lux trades for WLTKD,
and sometimes if friendly enough, you can still get bulk gold.

if you trade a lux for a research agreement and then fort /reconnect does that break the agreement? not sure.

I like to partially build my roads, and only complete them on the last few turns. This minimises the upkeep that I'll be paying while the road is under construction.

and wouldn't any garrisoned unit take damage every turn?
i suppose you might not need a garrison...

someone should test this out, seems like a neat trick.

Doesn't that make your city untakable?

Yep!

and wouldn't any garrisoned unit take damage every turn?

I believe that is correct. I didn’t think to garrison a plane in my one game where I experimented with this.

i suppose you might not need a garrison... someone should test this out, seems like a neat trick.

It is a neat trick, but perhaps less game breaking than you might think. There are a couple old threads about this. What I recall is that it can be useful for a late settled city near a natural wonder.

The main hold up is that you can’t move through mountains until your first great general. I almost always have my core cities up by then. But now that you bring it up, opening honor can get a GG pretty quickly. So the right map could make things interesting!

Eh, I often spawn a GG from fending off a DOW before I get through liberty. Also, I would have four or more cities by then. I still think honor is the only way to get a quick GG.

I think I want to try a map as Carthage where cities 2-n are founded on mountains. What map settings would folks suggest?

Can helicopters capture cities? My feeling is that one *could* but in most cases the helicopter would take so much damage that it would just never happen. Helicopters kinda suck except for their mobility.

I agree that settling a mountain would have limited uses, but cool!

Eh, I often spawn a GG from fending off a DOW before I get through liberty. Also, I would have four or more cities by then. I still think honor is the only way to get a quick GG.

I think I want to try a map as Carthage where cities 2-n are founded on mountains. What map settings would folks suggest?

Frontier or highlands. Great Plains, restart until you begin near mountains (not optimal for free harbors).

Also, something like continents or pangea with Austria and Incas on the map.

Since we are no longer sharing unusual tips, I started a new thread for this question.

Helicopters cannot capture cities, but cities can be killed by nukes as usual. That is about it.

I am thinking continents and raging barbs. Great Plains is no good, due to lack of harbors. Will the option to adjust sea level result in more mountains? What I really want is mountainous archipelago!

Incas makes sense, but why do you recommend Austria as an opponent for this experiment?

For my unusual tip:

If you start getting Great People from finishing the Patronage tree, often they start giving you Khans. And if you do, use your old GG's to plant citadels first; not the Khans. It's easy to get in the habit of throwing away your newer units (especially gifts from CS) and coddle your experienced units, but don't do it with GG's: GG's don't get experience. Keep the Khans, expend the GG's.

And a warning rather than tip.
Do not sign a research agreement in the same trade that involves lux and strategics. Because if the lux or strategic is lost, the deal is broken along with your research agreement.

Top Bottom