Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Berserker

• Impi

• None of the above (please specify)

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters
I've never played MP before: do games usually last to the modern era? Because I'd find that very surprising.

Depends entirely on what part of the MP-community you participate in. The format and the settings you choose highly influence how long into the tech tree the game will go.

I'm gonna be contrary to popular opinion and say the Fast Worker.
All it does is have 1 more movement speed. It does not build things faster than normal workers. All it does is move 1 more space that is not that big of a deal to be notably different in the long run from regular workers especially considering there extra move does not allow them to move onto hills\forest\jungle and start working the same turn.

All it does is have 1 more movement speed. It does not build things faster than normal workers. All it does is move 1 more space that is not that big of a deal to be notably different in the long run from regular workers especially considering there extra move does not allow them to move onto hills\forest\jungle and start working the same turn.

In fact the extra movement does allow you to move to forest or hill and start working at the same turn, however it doesn't allow to move to foresthill and do that. So it saves early workerturns while chopping which is pretty big deal as workerturns are very valuable early and chopping is one of the most typical beneficial early game worker action. Early game and fast start are important things.

In mp also ability to instantly road through hills or jungle/forest is also nice and can surprise an enemy.

In fact the extra movement does allow you to move to forest or hill and start working at the same turn, however it doesn't allow to move to foresthill and do that. So it saves early workerturns while chopping which is pretty big deal as workerturns are very valuable early and chopping is one of the most typical beneficial early game worker action. Early game and fast start are important things.

In mp also ability to instantly road through hills or jungle/forest is also nice and can surprise an enemy.

Then it seems my mishmash of mods change something else I didn't know (I have a lot of them mashed together into one including some modding my dad did on my game before he died). I loaded an experiment in non modded Civ (which I have not played in in years) and you are right. However in my modded games it takes 3 movement for a Fast Worker to do what you said.

Some contras
P
Phalanx: If you have axes, you can have spears
With Phalanx you can prepare effective very early rush with no need to make waek in attack spears, put the most effective defender in a city - only one defender - instead of spear/axe or spear / archer combination. If only greek start with no hunting, phalanx will be not considered weak. Absolutely not top and breakgaming unit, but very comfortable one.

@Ballista elephant

Always usefull. Cleaning the enemy stack out of knights is worth not naming it useless

@Jaguars
The only use is extremely quick mega healer it is a huge bonus. Axes are enough for early rush, jaguars are enough for harassing enemy/worker stealing till construction comes in play. Medic3Woodsman3 extremely quick unit is also enough not to consider jags useless

I'd say it's a situational usefulness more than questionable. On a Pangaea, yeah, Carracks won't even get built, much less do anything noteworthy. On a Continents or Islands map, they can give you a huge lead on colonizing empty landmasses. On Terra/Earth2 they're an "I WIN!" button.

You need Astro anyway not to break your economy. The ideal situation is to send some carracks to new world while researching Astro. The option of founding 1 city and transport a lot of workers works too, as it allows to chop out court and forbidden palace as soon as possible

You need Astro anyway not to break your economy. The ideal situation is to send some carracks to new world while researching Astro. The option of founding 1 city and transport a lot of workers works too, as it allows to chop out court and forbidden palace as soon as possible

OR you can just turn them into a colony. A colony larger than most opponents is also an "I win"

The fast worker may not be the worst uu in civ(simply because there are so many trash uus) but egypt is getting war chariots for your handful of saved worker turns...
no way is it the best, or top 5.

The fast worker may not be the worst uu in civ(simply because there are so many trash uus) but egypt is getting war chariots for your handful of saved worker turns...
no way is it the best, or top 5.

What if you lack fr horses? The Fast Worker is so good because it provides a boost to the most vital unit in the game. All other games can't guarantee you'll be using you're UU. You can ALWAYS use a Fast Worker.

I cannot imagine naming fast workers useless or weak. It is amng top 5 together with conquistadors, qwechas, keshiks and prets

Supporting fast workers, here's an example:

Let's say you're gonna build a road through jungle or forest. With regular workers, your worker brigade enters the tile, waits a turn then builds the road, then moves to the next, waits and builds. For n tiles you need 2n turns to complete the road. With the fast worker you build a road along n tiles in n turns.

Or in a more extreme example, a chop-powered early wonder build would be twice as fast with the fast workers, as they enter the forest and start chopping the same turn. Say you need three forests--you can save three turns if using one worker or worker brigade.

I said normal speed, not marathon. The Fast Worker is probably even more broken than the Quechua on Normal, almost as bad as the Panzer on Marathon.

The advantage is bigger on quicker games, that's true, but it never goes down to zero as long as the game is turn based.

This.:agree: The fast worker is only average on Marathon - a strong combat UU would do better because they don't obsolete as fast. It's still a decent UU and nowhere near the worst as long as Panzer, Ballista Elephant, SEAL are still out there.

On Epic it's an above-average UU, probably top 10. You save a lot more turns. It should be added that one-move UU's are better on slower speeds than faster speeds. Of course, this doesn't mean War Chariot is ever bad.

On Normal you're mistaken if you don't include it in top-5. Its' basically three times as valuable as on Marathon. I love the fast worker because it helps to give me a tech edge so I can slaughter more backwards civs like a civilized person.

On Quick (does anybody play quick) - game balance is impaired.

It is surprising that so many people hate the fast worker. I remember a RFC poll that had 10% saying the fast (Punjabi) worker was the most useless.

The Bowman. I understand the arguments for late uniques that you never get to, an early one that you just wouldnt make is more useless. I would make a panzer, I would make a navy seal. I have played games as the Babylonians and not made Bowmen. Useless.

The Bowman. I understand the arguments for late uniques that you never get to, an early one that you just wouldnt make is more useless. I would make a panzer, I would make a navy seal. I have played games as the Babylonians and not made Bowmen. Useless.

That is because for some bizarre reason Hammurabi was not made Protective. Thus the first modding I ever did to my game was giving making Hammurabi Protective instead of Aggressive and to balance the scales made Gilgamesh Aggressive instead of Protective.

Only two people voted bowman as most useless. You and myself, glad to see someone else that sees that unit as pointless.

Top Bottom