How to un-warmonger yourself?

JohnnyKing

Chieftain
I play with Genghis Khan and basically I took most of my AI's competitor cities (Ottomans) and his end is coming. But, I got the warmonger dip penalty and every other leader hates me :-( . What are some ways I can un-warmonger my penalties?

Yes, Librating some cities, especially to a players with very few cities is the only way. You war, you capture, and you must suffer.

Liberation bonus only applies to first three cities, after that there's no liberation bonuses if I remember correctly from this forum.

Liberation bonus only applies to first three cities, after that there's no liberation bonuses if I remember correctly from this forum.

I believe you are referring to the liberation diplomatic bonus (introduced awhile ago) which is different than the liberation/warmonger system (introduced in BNW but made more salient with the last patch).

Liberating cities can be helpful. If you watch an ai conquer other civilizations and city states, you will be able to liberate the cities to erase your own warmonger penalties.

You don't have to watch the AI capture stuff. You know when the Byzantines own Novgorod and Marseilles, they didn't just settle them.

It boils down to this: you need AIs fighting each other, and you need to be able to step in and help (liberate) the underdogs in those conflicts at the same time you are doing your own warmongering. You can't conquer the world and not be derided as a warmonger. But, you can conquer half the world, and liberate the other half, and you'll be a hero.

Yes, this game was written by Americans.

Yes, Liberating some cities, especially to a players with very few cities is the only way. You war, you capture, and you must suffer.

So is the warmonger deduction bonus for liberating cities, from a none-existing to a small civ, counted the like opposite penalty you will get for conquering a city from the aforementioned civ.

Meaning that if you conquer an city from a 2 city civ you will get a extreme warmonger penalty because his empire is so small. On the other hand if you were to liberate the second city of a, at that point, one-city civ, you would get a 'extreme' (note: I'm using "a extreme" instead of "an extreme", but that is how they do it in-game :mischief:) warmonger deduction, again because their empire is so small.

The second example would then be, that you will only get a minor warmonger deduction of you liberated the 11th city of a 10 city empire, because you will only get a minor warmonger penalty if you were to conquer it.

Am I guessing right here?

So is the warmonger deduction bonus for liberating cities, from a none-existing to a small civ, counted the like opposite penalty you will get for conquering a city from the aforementioned civ.

Meaning that if you conquer an city from a 2 city civ you will get a extreme warmonger penalty because his empire is so small. On the other hand if you were to liberate the second city of a, at that point, one-city civ, you would get a 'extreme' (note: I'm using "a extreme" instead of "an extreme", but that is how they do it in-game :mischief:) warmonger deduction, again because their empire is so small.

The second example would then be, that you will only get a minor warmonger deduction of you liberated the 11th city of a 10 city empire, because you will only get a minor warmonger penalty if you were to conquer it.

Am I guessing right here?
Yes, you are right

Get another civ to kill a city-state, and liberate that. Liberating city-states is pretty big.

So I often found it was a good to ally with a CS which is inside or very near to your enemy. The CS will help to keep their army busy for a while, and when it was finally conquered by your enemy, you can receive great bonus for liberating them.

On the contrary, it will annoy you so much if a CS near your core city has been allied to your enemy. Try your best to grab it back!

This is close to how I win games. I go to war with my strongest neighbours first. Make them spin their wheels on the CS. When I can, I supplement their defence with my own units (mostly chariot archers). Even if they take the city, by the time they do, they have lots of units with HP in the red, and I have catapults already set up. I go to town with them. Ideally I bribe them just to 64/60 or so and liberate them, but that seldom happens: usually they just don't take the CS.

This may not apply in the game that drew the original question, but if you dispense with the Civs that know you as a warmonger early, those who aren't familiar with your track record won't be any the wiser. An exception is the penalty for attacking after promising to withdraw from borders, and there may be a few others that will hurt you even with civs you don't know.

Another way to look at it: If you are advanced enough and have a strong enough military, assuming you have a solid economy and happiness, do you really care if the Civs you will eventually be conquering think you are a warmonger? Just be sure you can live without a lot of trades. Patronage may be a good option in this kind of game.

I have a bit of a thread hacking question but did anyone ever saw the AI liberate a city?

AI's will certainly liberate cities.

Generally it happens when they are going for a Diplomatic Victory, especially if they are more peaceful. It also seems more likely to happen if they are on good terms (DoF) with the civilization they are liberating.

I have seen AI's liberate city states, major civs that were wiped out, and cities belonging to civs still in the game.

That could be possible civilizations could liberate city states in multiplayer or something.

I have seen AI liberate cities. It happens. I dont know what particular logic there is behind it, but it happens.

It seems most frequent with city states.

Top Bottom