Where are they after I conquered their last city.

LukeHro

Chieftain
My Russians were (are) at war with the Romans and I puppeted their last city. Still their civilization is there and demanding peace from time to time (and I can also see wars declared to them when I get a new CS ally) but I can't find their remaining unit or something.
They didn't had a costal city and I'm allied with all CS on my continent and some on the other and also the Indonesians on my continent is at war with them so roaming units won't stand a chance. I have the other continent fully explored but with fog and the oceans almost fully uncovered. There's litle fog on my continent on unclaimed land and I checked it over and over. I'm about to enter Modern era with radio, playing with NO mods.
So where are they? What to do to find them? Could this be a bug?
Thanks

Sue for peace and ask for an embassy in their(new) capital as part of the negotiations. 10 turns later you can wipe them out.
Or, although that might be considered cheating, he could just make peace, see where the city is and reload the save.

If there's really no city left, you're probably playing with "Complete kills" active, then you'll pretty much have to search the whole continent for their remaining units.

I believe I have "Complete kills" active. Another city or units I'm 99.9% sure there are not on the original continent and pretty much sure not on the second either. Highest chance I missed them is an embarked unit stuck at ice caps or something.

And you will never find that unit until near the end of the game. Meanwhile, you will be regularly denounced by Rome and they will occasionally coup your CS allies.

For the life of me, I really don't understand the appeal of complete kills.

I kind of like compete kills. Their population might be conquered and displaced, but they still have some diplomats taking asylum in friendly lands, occasionally making impassioned appeals to the UN... it's more realistic. I'll wager one's attitude depends on how you play the game: if you see Civ as a strategy game to win, playing HoF games and small/quick games, you probably hate complete kills. If you see Civ as a world building sandbox, playing large maps with 30+ civs and lots of mods, you probably like complete kills.

Anyway, you might find their last few units taking refuge on islands in or near CS's they are friendly with. I like to ally with all such CS's, then declare war on the crippled civ, and without lifting a finger, watching them be destroyed by the very city-states they had been sheltered by.

Do you get spared some warmonger hate from taking their last city but not their last unit? I am not sure I would agree that complete kills is more realistic. I would be okay with the setting iff it applied only to a wondering settler.

I would be okay with the setting iff it applied only to a wondering settler.
But... you don't have to be okay with it. It's a setting - anyone can play with it on, or off, however they prefer. It doesn't require anyone's approval.

Personally, I think it would work better if civs with leftover military units on the run had a way to convert them into, or generate some other way, a settler. Then they could try to resettle in some obscure corner of the map.

I never play with Complete Kills, sounds strange at first, but it might be fun. So the last units are in a kind of "exile"? I'll try it in ly next game: it can be usefull if a remote friend is destroyed by a aggressive civ, it's possible to offer him captured cities to get a fresh start.

@Subtledoctor, sure, if you like it, fine. I am with Browd in that I just don’t understand the appeal. If a civ has a settler, then they really should not be knocked out of the game when they loose their last city. But I am not about to turn on complete kills just on that off chance!

I never play with Complete Kills, sounds strange at first, but it might be fun. So the last units are in a kind of "exile"? I'll try it in ly next game: it can be usefull if a remote friend is destroyed by a aggressive civ, it's possible to offer him captured cities to get a fresh start.

Or you could just gift him the city before he loses his last one and play with complete kills off

Imagine that...Caesar and his whole retinue, the last remnants of the Roman civilization, all living on a Caravel somewhere in the Arctic...

I would also like turning complete kills on, but only for the CS. It is a shame when a CS city falls, with several units still around, which just disappear.

In Civ 4 i used to play with complete kills on all the time, its just that civ5 isn't interesting enough for me to keep it on xD

and good advice for complete kills if you cannot find those last few stragglers i recommend researching satellites whenever you get the chance. All his last hiding places will be forever unveiled to you. Only then you will be able to finish him off unless you get real lucky and discover his last units somehow without satellites.

Top Bottom