How to Carry out War Successfully

sinistersamxiii

Chieftain
Hello everyone. I am a relatively good player however I can only win on Prince, maybe by this time King. The reason is this: I'm not good at warmongering. I mean, I am on lower levels, but I just can't find time to produce units. And when I do, It's hard for me to conquer cause the opponent always gains the upper hand. Then I make peace and regenerate the army, come again in ten turns, and fail again. And I would be able to win on higher levels if the other civs didn't attack me, cause I always have fewer armies. If I ever do get around to conquering someone else, I usually take 1-2 cities MAX because I they might come back and take them. Here's my settings: Augustus Caesar, Rome, Pangaea, quick, prince/king, all victories, no barbarians. I try and usually take a culture victory in about 2000 AD. Another problem is that I have trouble founding lots of cities, usually get 4 of them. Whether that's good or bad I'm not yet sure. Any help???

I'm not on Diety, but I do beat Emperor regularly, and my favorite method of victory is Domination. Basically it all boils down to commitment. If you want war, then build units and war. Don't mess around building culture and all the buildings needed. Build units and go into battle. You'll also want to tech to be able to have an advantage in battle. You may stick to 2-3 primary cities at first, as you'll be taking over cities as you go. Once you get a good force going, then go back and build up your cities and keep upgrading your army.

If you want to start taking cities at turn 50, then get to composite bowmen and follow up with getting to Crossbowmen. You'll find that the ranged units are really good in war, so you'll want 4+ ranged attackers when you go in after a city. I tend to ignore catapults and ballistas, as they get killed way too easily and hard to get into battle. Cannons and Artillery are very good, however.

You may also find on continents and maps with lots of water, that Frigates with some privateers make great units to take coastal cities. 4-5 Frigates and a couple privateers can rage havoc on your enemy if they have coastal cities.

Besides committing to your war, you also must focus fire your targets. If you target the same enemy 3 times and fail to kill it, chances are, he is going to use an upgrade to heal it 50 points. It is better to finish off 1 enemy, rather than weaken 2, because they may heal up on you.

Before going at a city directly, you'll want to get all your men in position, so in 1 move, you can move in and attack with all your archers/crossbowmen. Coming in at different turns slows the attack, which also means your guys take more damage.

When upgrading your men, which should preserved, and not treated as disposable units, make your ranged units upgrade either for rough or flat terrain. After 3 upgrades, you can make your men attack from 1 more range, avoiding city retaliation, or you can get double attacks, allowing for double the hits per turn and twice the experience. I typically will give my first 2-3 range, then the last couple the double attack. The same goes with Frigates, though I like to have my privateers to pick up heal out of their own territory, as every time they attack, they get hurt.

As you get later in tech, you will need to have a few fighters to defend your cities and naval fleets and don't forget about nuclear warfare. A single nuke can devastate your enemies forces. Nuclear subs and Missile cruisers can both carry nuclear missiles, so arm your fleet with a couple. If you see the enemy come at you with a 20 man army, 2 nukes can eliminate them in a single turn.

Many of my late ending games are done by taking a coastal city, puppet until it can be annexed. Then I buy a paratrooper/landship/tank, anything with a long range, then sending 2-3 nukes at the final cite(s), and sending in my paratrooper to take the city next turn. It seems cheap, but it is very effective.

Sorry for the rambling, those are just some of the thoughts that come to mind when you decide to go to war.

You shouldn't need to war at all to win. On Prince/King you should be absolutely crushing the AI with a 4-city tradition build.

Last Pangea King game I played, there were civs hitting the Renaissance turn 200+. So it's a weird question you're asking -- how can you have a tough time in a war when you can build Rocket Artillery while they have musketeers?

I guess my point is, learn how to get your science going faster and the rest of your problems will solve themselves.

TheGrumpyBuddha is right, your foundation is probably lacking very basic things, try to sort them out first. However, to answer your original questions:

Playing on Standard instead of Fast will help a lot. Fast is just bad for warmongering, not only because units get obsolete very fast, but also because producing new units is so much quicker, while movement doesn't change at all, which makes it harder to successfully invade cities.

Other than that there are probably 3 key things that can go wrong:

1.) You're using the wrong army-composition
As a "beginner", it's usually best just to use archery-units and either 2-3 melee units as a defensive frontline/to take cities, or only use archers with 1-2 mounted units that stay back and charge in just to actually take the city.

2.) You're not attacking at the right time
Try to beeline into a Rangeunit, have enough money on the bank to upgrade your flock, then immediately go - chances are, your unites are stronger than those your opponent has.

3.) You're trying to progress too fast
As long as he has units, don't rush into city range. If your unit only has 50 hp, let him rest.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll use it as soon as I can boot up my computer. Now for another question(ready?): is it possible to maximize science while at the same time going for a CV? And if so, how?

Thanks for all the advice. I'll use it as soon as I can boot up my computer. Now for another question(ready?): is it possible to maximize science while at the same time going for a CV? And if so, how?

There are a lot of guides posted around here you should check out; they cover all of these questions and more!

The short answer is that you *need* to maximize science while going for a CV, unless you are going for a Sacred Sites CV (where you buy lots of holy sites with faith, and then use the Piety Reformation belief to turn that into Tourism).

Remember, science gets you to the Internet, for double Tourism, gets you to Archaeology, for antiquity sites, to Refrigeration, for hotels ... and so on and so forth.

Most victories in this game require some late game techs. So for the most part the tech part is the same for all victories. The major differences are in wonders and after the modern era.

A good culture victory requires you to go to the Internet, you won't do it if you have low growth or no universities. Well unless you're attempting a culture victory through sacred sites, in which case it's a totally different approach since you'll aim for a T150 victory.

The real exception is domination which will depend on how far you want to go into the tech tree. You won't build universities if your idea is to kill everyone with crossbows. But if you want artillery you'll need them.

As to how:
Get food, grow tall, make science building, run scientist slots. That's the basic to it.

You have to plan ahead a little bit so you can:

a: arrive at a war tech or techs that you can leverage
b: make and/or buy enough men to make an impact
c: attack

You will need 6 to 10 units ready before you begin and you will have to keep on making them until victory is assured. Dont make 6 or 10 and then switch to something else like a wonder. Keep building men. You will plan on a window of 10 to 20 turn in order to achieve desired mass.

This may involve deviating from the ideal science path to get muskets and cannons. Keep in mind that you can burn a GS or you can make oxford to get to those techs faster. Spend all that time building up your cap and other cities so that when the time for war comes, you are as big and have as many hammers as possible before you go to war. Then just use that temporary tech and hammer advantage to gain the ground you want.

Dont be afraid of fighting someone with a slight tech advantage. You can still beat them with tactics and focussed fire.

You shouldn't need to war at all to win. On Prince/King you should be absolutely crushing the AI with a 4-city tradition build.

Last Pangea King game I played, there were civs hitting the Renaissance turn 200+. So it's a weird question you're asking -- how can you have a tough time in a war when you can build Rocket Artillery while they have musketeers?

I guess my point is, learn how to get your science going faster and the rest of your problems will solve themselves.

I want ask you about this, TheGrumpyBuddha. When you refer to civs hitting renaissance in 200+, what speed was your game at?

I want ask you about this, TheGrumpyBuddha. When you refer to civs hitting renaissance in 200+, what speed was your game at?

Standard -- it was the King GoTM that's going on right now, #86 I think.

Not saying it was all the AI, but at least two were after turn 200. I really didn't pay much attention to the other Civs that game ...

Oh my gosh guys... First KING victory EVER!!!!!!! I owe it all to you. Here's the stats: played as Rome, won a CV on turn 292 (with ample support from science. Again, thanks a lot.) on a pangaea map, quick turns, tiny(3 other civs.). THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh guys... First KING victory EVER!!!!!!! I owe it all to you. Here's the stats: played as Rome, won a CV on turn 292 (with ample support from science. Again, thanks a lot.) on a pangaea map, quick turns, tiny(3 other civs.). THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

Congrats! You'll be moving up to Emperor in no time!
One thing that helped me step my game up is mugging AI and CS for workers (just one CS, though, otherwise they start hating you). You would be amazed at how much faster your game goes when you have 2-3+ mugged workers working for you and don't have to take the time to build them.

One last question. It seems like on the games I've played so far on King, there's one ultra-powerful guy who builds all the wonders and that makes it hard for me to get a cultural victory without killing him, which I can do, but don't really want to. Now I could go for another victory, but the only thing is I want to make sure he can't pull a victory while I'm building the spaceship.... Any thoughts?

One last question. It seems like on the games I've played so far on King, there's one ultra-powerful guy who builds all the wonders and that makes it hard for me to get a cultural victory without killing him, which I can do, but don't really want to. Now I could go for another victory, but the only thing is I want to make sure he can't pull a victory while I'm building the spaceship.... Any thoughts?

If you have a tech lead, you always get to start building the wonders first. Try not to build wonders which you've teched past a while back, or on tech's which you've left behind your others and just got around to learning. If you build your wonders when you know you are the first to learn the tech to make it available, then you'll beat the A.I. to it.

You may also find the A.I. loves certain wonders, and unless you beelined to it, don't bother trying unless you use an engineer.

Top Bottom