Can't find interest. Help!

CaterpillarKing

Conqueror of Cacoons
With all the new, shiny Civ mods like RFC DOC I find it hard to go back to regular games. Help please! Tips on if this happens to you and how you overcame it or something!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I mostly play the games of the month http://gotm.civfanatics.net/
Gives me a reason to play games to conclusion. Variety between vanilla/warlords/bts, difficulty levels, leaders, maps, etc.

I actually played Mods more when I was newer to Civ than I do now. I really enjoy the base game and setting challenges for myself. One being to try to get as good at the game as possible.

Quite a few features of CFC here for the base game that you may not be aware of or just have not taken advantage of, or unsure of the merits.

Here's a few things to consider:

1) Strategy & Tips forum - learn to play the game better and challenge yourself. Lot's of forum games are posted including Noble's Club, Immortal U, etc. Post questions and join in discussions. Run your own forum game to learn or challenge others.

2) Game of the Month - Monthly games created by the staff for BTS, Warlords and Vanilla. Compete for fun against other and try to win awards and ranking. ( I have some links in my sig, but I'll post it here as well)

GOTM

3) Hall of Fame - Basically, a CFC database to submit games and see them ranked for all time. A permanent and more dynamic extension of the HOF on your computer. Monthly Gauntlets and Challenger Series are offered to provide some friendly and personal competition. Try to become #1 in a particular category and also achieve QuattroMatster status. A new Challenger Series just start up, and I posted an announcement right in this very forum recently, as seen here:

Announcement thread

Link to HOF forum in my Sig below

4) Succession Game of the Month - A sub-category and sub-forum of the GOTM, the SGOTM is really more of a quarterly series of games played by teams. SGOTMs are really fun as you play in a team environment on maps/scenarios specifically designed to create challenge and fun for the teams. Skill level doesn't matter, as there are usually always a mix in each team. Great way to learn. Top 3 teams earn Laurels.

SGOTM

There's also the Stories & Tales forum and Succession game sub-forum. Check them out.

I'll try these out. Thank you a bunch!

With all the new, shiny Civ mods like RFC DOC I find it hard to go back to regular games. Help please! Tips on if this happens to you and how you overcame it or something!

I do the "or something!" ;) it will pass away with time (or not) kid , don't worry ;)

Civanon can help, just 12 easy steps :mischief:

After playing lots of Vanilla BTS I've lost interest in mods! Maybe try a game with weird variant rules and see if that helps.

I find that using unrestricted leaders tends to make it more interesting. It's kind of like a mod since it's usually something new (hmmm, Montezuma has keshiks now :crazyeye: can Isabella found all the religions when her new civ doesn't start with mysticism? etc), but it doesn't actually change any of the gameplay mechanics.

I haven't played a vanilla game in a couple of years. All I play now is mods. Right now I'm in a Caveman to Cosmos (C2C) game.

I heard C2C is really good.

Here's what I did: play Kmod (which is almost like an unofficial patch to the game, it mostly deals with improving the AI and small balance tweaks, for example a buff to serfdom), play random personalities (I have no idea who's going to attack whom), choose religions (I just like it better than everyone always being Buddhist/Hindu), and no tech brokering. I play 8 players on a standard big and small sized map, massive continents, islands mixed in. Dude, you can't imagine how difficult it is. Monarch on those settings is like immortal in the base game. Actually, it's not even comparable... I can't use diplomacy to prevent myself from being attacked.

After playing civilization 5 bnw, bts is still a challenge. I have come back to civilization 4 bts for final frontier sometimes too.

Afterworld is really cool too if you actually play and don't world build yourself everywhere :p

Top Bottom