Tips for defending from barbarians on Emperor difficulty?

Disident

Chieftain
I just start my Civ IV game with incas on Emperor difficulty. Barbarians attacking me from north and east with axemen and spearmen. I have no copper or iron close to me so my best unit is archer. I have now 3 cities instead of 4 because barbarians capture the city. So please give me some tips for defending from barbs.

Exactly how to best deal with them depends on the map, primarily the settings.
What map size are you using, and what speed? Larger maps and slower speeds will cause greater barb problems to the extend that on marathon+huge your better off building the great wall at least nine times out of ten.

For standard normal settings on the other hand you can usually get away with nothing more than warriors combined with knowledge of game mechanics for preventing spawns aka spawnbusting.

Spawnbusting relies on the fact that barbs cannot spawn within 2 tiles of an existing unit. This works on the diagonals too making a 5*5 no spawn zone around any of your units regardless of fog, knowing this you can prevent barbs appearing in large areas at a low cost.

Exactly how to best deal with them depends on the map, primarily the settings.
What map size are you using, and what speed? Larger maps and slower speeds will cause greater barb problems to the extend that on marathon+huge your better off building the great wall at least nine times out of ten.

For standard normal settings on the other hand you can usually get away with nothing more than warriors combined with knowledge of game mechanics for preventing spawns aka spawnbusting.

Spawnbusting relies on the fact that barbs cannot spawn within 2 tiles of an existing unit. This works on the diagonals too making a 5*5 no spawn zone around any of your units regardless of fog, knowing this you can prevent barbs appearing in large areas at a low cost.
Thanks

Do be aware that if you play with events, that the barb events are not constrained by the same 5x5 rule mentioned above.

I don't remember any Emperor games, but I did play some HUGE/MARATHON/RAGING BARBS/PANGEA.... me vs. 3 civs. Plenty of spawning space, and few other civs as targets.
Think of it as Zombie apocalypse.

Lessons learned-

Survival chances are better with a corner start.
It's hard to defend improvements beyond your walls.
Whenever possible, build cities on metal, horses, hills, or other special resources, and adjacent to rivers.
You can draw the random event barb stack away with a worker.
Have multiple defenders.
Have counter attackers.
There is a cap on experience gained from barb battles. You may want to shift defenders around to spread that out.

Good luck. I salute you!:salute:

Top Bottom