One to Rule Them All (One City Challenge)

I pulled it off with England post-patch on emperor. I literally just sat there all game until I won culture...the AI was too busy slapping each other around to bother snuffing me, and I wound up with "city of lights", "city of science" and "city of gold" all from this one OCC city. Some notes:

- Game was very late when won (1970's) but AI infighting hurt tech pace; Wu only recently completed apollo when I was getting my last 3 policies (finishing peity, commerce, tradition, with freedom and order finished earlier)
- It was NOT a legendary start. It was a cookie cutter coastal English start with 2 lux resources (so not all bad).
- By the end of the game, London had every building possible (including national wonders) and a LOT of wonders.
- If someone declared, I'd have been toast, but every AI was friendly (no DoF with me and nobody coveted land early, so everyone STAYED friendly, all game).

- It was NOT a legendary start. It was a cookie cutter coastal English start with 2 lux resources (so not all bad).

AFAIK Legendary just gives you one copy of a happiness resource you already have at start. No effect on strategic resources or anything of that sort. I tried it three times, wasn't excited with the results over regular starts.

- If someone declared, I'd have been toast, but every AI was friendly (no DoF with me and nobody coveted land early, so everyone STAYED friendly, all game).

Unfortunately in my game I had close spawns with the AIs so two of my three neighbors hated me from turn 8 (partially my fault for moving the settler a couple tiles closer to them). Washington decided to warrior rush me and Elizabeth declared later with a renaissance army. Their huge armies were decimated by my one unit thanks to the magic of ranged attacks + beefed up city attack + oligarchy.

AFAIK Legendary just gives you one copy of a happiness resource you already have at start. No effect on strategic resources or anything of that sort. I tried it three times, wasn't excited with the results over regular starts.

Interesting. I've tried it a few times as well and was thoroughly underwhelmed.

Does it give this "legendary" bonus to all players or just the human?

Watch Maddjinn's Korea series - his turn 290-something finish doesn't guarantee victory on deity, but if you follow the general strategy you'll do fine on lower levels and likely on deity also. The focus-entirely-on-culture strategy (from my recent 2-city Persia video series) will likely work fine too.
Of course, diplo victories are an entirely different kettle of fish.

My personal OCC experience was a Prince cultural victory with Monty (Knew I was in good shape when I got a lake start). I haven't had the stones to try it on a higher level yet.

I second Wainy's post, MadDjinn's Korea OCC is a great LP. Korea seems tailor made for OCC since the UA directly affects the capital and will help you keep up with the tech pace, and both UUs are defensive in nature.

Got this achievement with Korea on deity by accident - science victory - without playing a OCC game ...

Had two cities most of the game. Second city managed to push out one or two spaceship parts before being conquered by Bismark. (then Bismark proposed a peace deal as he was fighting multiple wars and I launched before it expired)

------------------------------------------------
Guess you can cheese this achievement by selling all your extra cities to the AI before the victory turn without playing an actual OCC game...

I just did a 310 turn OCC cultural on emperor. It was coastal with marble. I didnt time myRA's so it took a long time to get radio/telegraph.

Well, I decided to give this a try. Chose Gandhi, tiny map, quick game, pangea, on Settler difficulty. Finished it in less than an hour just cranking out elephant archers and a couple of horsemen. Didn't get the achievement. Also didn't get the achievement for winning as Gandhi, playing on a tiny map, winning on a pangea, or completing the game on Settler difficulty. So... no idea what just happened.

Top Bottom