Persia - Liberty Pangea Domination "Guide"

peddroelm

King
Leverage his big military bonuses during Golden Ages and the potential to go Wide opened up by the Unique Building ..

Main goal is to try and sync up finishing liberty with Representation (spending a Great Artist to extend the Golden Age to a Whooping 27 turns ; if by some miracle Chicken Itza is still up then by all means GE instead, if not simply take note of whoever built it and add them to target shortlist) with beeline to Civil Service and unleashing war on the juiciest neighbor with super speedy Pikemen and catapults Darius style ... (and composite bowmen a few turns later) ... Puppets should love building the Satrap's courts ..

Bronze Working and Civil service requirements cover mining & trapping luxuries while opening up horses and iron for :c5production: and economic boosts ...
Masonry should also be researched before Civil service in preparation for composite bows (cannot base the core of your army on immortal/pikes - by medieval focus will shift on Crossbows) . Composites are deadly during the GA -> move onto rough terrain and fire in the same turn ..

Sailing should be delayed but probably researched before Civil service - that extra science leech from the caravan (deity) would more than make out for the detour ..

Which only leaves calendar luxuries as a true detour (pretty flexible)..

Capital Build order -> Scout*2, Monument, Worker, Archer/Immortal/Caravan(if science leech in range), Settler*2 (after Collective rule - try to have at least 2 mines up by that time), Granary, Library, Water mill, ..Archers//Immortals//Catapults ..
Satellites: Archer/Immortal, Monument, Library,...Military ..Markets (don't go overboard with the immortals 4-5 should suffice )

By opening double scout you basically gamble on culture ruin (as the pathfinder revealed 5-6 ruins should guarantee a culture ruin as they don't repeat but cycle similar to the Mayan calendar) .
Also by meeting (most) of the other AIs early you increase chances of a DOF .. YOU WILL NEED AT LEAST A DOF (preferably more) PAST TURN 50 TO UNLOAD LUX/STRATEGICS FOR UPGRADE CASH ..As you will probably reach Civil service quite late (liberty techs slower than tradition) even GPT deals will have enough time to cash in if you start the deals fast enough ..

Tech Plan -> AH(if plains/grass), Archery , Mining, Bronze Working, Luxuries ,.. Civil service(pikes) , Construction(Composites), Education, Engineering, compass (2 extra trade routes), Machinery, Physics -> Banking (UB satrap/extra Trade route)

Gold wise: first 200 Archer next 260 Immortal
-have enough military out early to reduce barbarian delays to a minimum (sniping barbs in/near CS borders grants influence. Also have enough "muscle" on the map when to "bust the barb camp" quests start rolling to be able to complete at least 3-4 and reap the benefits... High prized are culture and maritime ones .. Faith ones will help with Parthenon/religion ... Getting warriors from military ones is rather yuck (will delay iron working until after education , ..) but they can also send archers, spears and sometimes horse units (try not to sell all your horses/get some from a CS) ...

Immortals work much better than archers (strength) at early barb busting - get them first but when upgraded during GA - Composites > Pikes (even immortal ones) .. Don't neglect the pikes completely - there will be a window where you will have to fight (survive) vs Knights or Elephants spam before you get machinery .. you'll be glad to have some pikes to hide behind then ...

Ignore the shrines until much later -> you might still get a pantheon/religion due to faith ruin and faith CS meets/quests ... If you do get pantheon/religion - go for maximum short term impact (your cities will probably converted by the AI religions by the turn 100 unless great faith generator/faith world wonder) ...

---------------------------

If you manage 4-5 immortals 6-7 Archers and 2-3 catapults by turn 85-90 you are in great shape ...Upgrade to pikes and CBs and start rolling while you capital is building the NC with the help of the GA ..

Policy wise after Liberty you'll want to open Aesthetics (great artists) ... But save "Flourishing of the arts" GA until later ...

Late game plan social policies//ideology - to be edited later after I get to test a few things out...

When to tech Pottery and Philosophy? And no NC?

you don't prioritize pottery for shrine (forgo change at pantheon//religion since "early" aggression is resource intensive and you not have enough to spare to invest in getting your own Parthenon/religion) .. But you HAVE TO get it eventually if you have calendar luxuries // want granary // is still a prerequisite for philosophy -> education ..

About the NC -> you will build it latter (probably past ~T90 during the great golden age of conquest triggered when you finish liberty)

I am assuming you take Autocracy and just steal the science techs. You can get tech parity near the end of the mid-game if you do this on deity

I love autocracy - all my deity pangea domination wins (so far - Assyria, Poland, Venice, America, Portugal - no Persia yet sadly will have to try this "guide" again soon) have been late game Commerce + Autocracy wins... Commerce + BigBen + Autocracy gives you the option to go from ~0 military to 30+ GWB/Bombers/Stealth bombers with air repair + few medic2 + triple rough Paratroopers/Xcom Squads in 1 turn ...Even if some of my wins had some early conquests (Assyrian uber towers) game winning progress was only possible for me after getting the commerce /Big Ben/ Autocracy (dirt cheap mass buy of promoted crack troops) in place ...

The double speed tech steal spies is usually the first policy I pick to catch up in tech (and then overtake) (unless rare cases like playing Babylon/Korea having mountain + jungles in capital) ...

-----
But that is a pretty generic strategy that doesn't depend/exploit on a civ's specific abilities ... Like Persia's strong potential for early conquest (wonder sniping) ...For Persia I'm actually considering going off the beaten path and trying things like Aesthetics Policy tree and Freedom ideology (still not sure if Autocracy massive happiness influx isn't the better option anyway ) ... But until I actually managed to pull it off this "guide" will remain its current vague/incomplete state ...

This sounds like the most fun strategy ever!

Do you have a video for it?

Top Bottom