Liberty Domination Walkthrough

I am finally starting my first Liberty Domination game on Immortal (the only BNW win I had not gone for yet). Is it still good to get Consulates after finishing Liberty and before starting Rationalism? What would be good alternatives to open before Rationalism?

IMHO Commerce is your best bet post-patch for Domination after completing Liberty. You might even skip the Rationalism opener, because positive happiness is far from reliable during war, and go Mercantilism -> ideology.
The tradition opener isn't bad either. But it works better IMHO to open Tradition after the free worker, right about the time you have 4 cities planted, for the border expansion, or take the opener before Liberty even. I'm sure Moriarte knows better though. I'm a relative liberty dom newbie.

I can see the arguments for both commerce and honor after liberty. Probably will have to see how the happiness and gold are doing.

I prefer commerce for domination.
I have given up on Liberty for domination as well. No gold, no happiness - I prefer tradition unless I am doing a CB rush, which is iffy with the warmonger penalty

Check this one for ultimate liberty experience. Tommy's comment at the bottom demonstrates the finest of deity domination attempts i've seen. ;)

I wonder would this strategy be good for the Shoshone? Or is it better to stick to tradition for them? I've only won once with liberty domination that was with the Zulu on single player (so basically easy mode). I would love to try this on multiplayer maybe with Persia. Just asking since morty is the master of domination! :D

It mostly depends on your intermediate goals, the civ in question is secondary. If artilleries is your goal, go tradition, maybe secularism, get to dynamite super early and start misbehaving.

If crossbows/composites is the goal - go with liberty and commerce/honor.

The earlier you start the whole thing the earlier you finish it all, if that's of any significance to you.

It mostly depends on your intermediate goals, the civ in question is secondary. If artilleries is your goal, go tradition, maybe secularism, get to dynamite super early and start misbehaving.

If crossbows/composites is the goal - go with liberty and commerce/honor.

The earlier you start the whole thing the earlier you finish it all, if that's of any significance to you.

Thanks! I imagine Logistics CB's with Persia's bonus could be pretty effective

Tried this on immortal starting about 15 tiles from Shaka. I thought it would be fun... I was wrong.

I think one of the challenges of domination is timing or more accurately, not acting upon impulse. Started my Liberty Domination game and Rome forward settled me to the spot where I wanted to put my second city. First reaction was to get my weak army and pay them back. That would be bad so it becomes a matter of being patient and CompBows can be successful.

So what are the triggers for you in attacking a neighbor (like Rome)?

Totally know what you mean. Not acting on impulse is one of my bigger problems with CIV. ;)

Totally know what you mean. Not acting on impulse is one of my bigger problems with CIV. ;)

Another form of impulsiveness, besides emotionally reacting to a negative event, is pushing one's luck. After easily taking two capitals, I see two more fat targets nearby, albeit having to get wet to get there. I just don't know if I should continue to push or to wait?

I do have two questions about the new warmongering system. There were two civs on my landmass (Romans and Ethiopians) and I went after each with 7 CompBows. But it both cases, I had to answer "passing through" in order for me to buy a little time to get everything in place in order to take them down in 2-3 turns. I see this is going to hurt me with a red diplo with everyone I subsequently meet. Was this something one does not do?

Also, what is the current strategy on eliminating civs? With the Romans, I razed their forward settled city then easily puppetted Rome. At the same time, they had one settler with a few units and build a city. I left that alone and made peace. With Ethiopia, I quickly took Addis Ababa but they have one more city which I left alone and made peace. All of the rest of the capitals are off one other landmasses (Small Continents). Do you still do not completely eliminate civs in the game or is it now a prudent thing to do since you have to hold the capitals to win?

Another form of impulsiveness, besides emotionally reacting to a negative event, is pushing one's luck. After easily taking two capitals, I see two more fat targets nearby, albeit having to get wet to get there. I just don't know if I should continue to push or to wait?

You have to push, indeed. While it may or may not be possible to puppet that cap across the strait (due to happiness), you can still level up your troops, pillage and reduce enemy's defenders. At exactly the moment your happiness allows for it you can take the dying cap. you've been shooting at and move on to the next one.

Think about it this way: right now Monty has 7 jaguars. In 20 turns he will have 14 jaguars. Now is the time. :)

I do have two questions about the new warmongering system. There were two civs on my landmass (Romans and Ethiopians) and I went after each with 7 CompBows. But it both cases, I had to answer "passing through" in order for me to buy a little time to get everything in place in order to take them down in 2-3 turns. I see this is going to hurt me with a red diplo with everyone I subsequently meet. Was this something one does not do?

Also, what is the current strategy on eliminating civs? With the Romans, I razed their forward settled city then easily puppetted Rome. At the same time, they had one settler with a few units and build a city. I left that alone and made peace. With Ethiopia, I quickly took Addis Ababa but they have one more city which I left alone and made peace. All of the rest of the capitals are off one other landmasses (Small Continents). Do you still do not completely eliminate civs in the game or is it now a prudent thing to do since you have to hold the capitals to win?

You want to avoid ever having to answer that question, in my opinion. Stay 3 tiles out until you're ready to attack and DoW on your turn. The diplo hit for breaking that promise is severe and applies to civs you haven't met yet, which is BS. As a result, you should avoid doing it even if it slows things down.

Never finish off a civ IMHO unless they're exerting heavy Influence pressure and you need the happiness you'd get from it, or if you haven't met the civs on the other continent yet. If you can nuke your whole continent down first you can start fresh diplomatically, at least when it comes to warmonger penalties.

However, it can be worth keeping them around for trade route beakers.

That's what I did (stayed 3-4 hexes away from the capital and one away from their borders) and both times, they saw my units (lots of scouts in the area).

As a general rule, there has to be at least 2 tiles between your troops and their borders. Sometimes one will suffice. But it's based on line-of-sight. The number of units near their borders that they're aware of is the determining factor, so you can get unlucky. If there's a hill or forest between you and their borders, and the tile in their borders is flatland, they can't see you. If the tile is on a hill, it can see farther sometimes. If your unit is on a hill, it can be seen from farther away. It's definitely tricky, but you can avoid it to some degree. Just be ready to declare war if they do accuse you.

What *REALLY* drives me crazy is when I'm moving troops towards someone else and they ask that. Now I can't attack them for 30+ turns without a rep hit. :(

That's what I did (stayed 3-4 hexes away from the capital and one away from their borders) and both times, they saw my units (lots of scouts in the area).

If you break that promise once there is no reason not to break it again in same game. You get only one negative modifier from that I think. Maybe some pro can confirm?

rep hit is quite neglicable ..

you have warmonger reputation anyway after attacking 2 civs .. cant get any worse ..
U can still make deals for half gains - no matter if u r a warmonger or a "bad warmonger".

And on top of that u can brake your promise 6 times and the 7th civ will still believe you ..

As a general rule, there has to be at least 2 tiles between your troops and their borders. Sometimes one will suffice. But it's based on line-of-sight. The number of units near their borders that they're aware of is the determining factor, so you can get unlucky. If there's a hill or forest between you and their borders, and the tile in their borders is flatland, they can't see you. If the tile is on a hill, it can see farther sometimes. If your unit is on a hill, it can be seen from farther away. It's definitely tricky, but you can avoid it to some degree. Just be ready to declare war if they do accuse you.

What *REALLY* drives me crazy is when I'm moving troops towards someone else and they ask that. Now I can't attack them for 30+ turns without a rep hit. :(

Yeah, that makes sense, there were a lot of flatlands around. What made the whole thing unfortunately ironic was that even if I had to declare war on their turn, they really had nothing to attack me with. I have long gotten into the habit of always striking first.

Top Bottom