What would the best path be for this start (pic)

what to do?

• lighthouse that s---

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • NC is superior brotha

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • dammmnnnnnnn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • oh s---

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yo that is wack

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • god of the sea is a must have

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • im on a boat don't you ever forget

• man i don't know that s---, keepin' it real!!

• Total voters

fallout3dc

Warlord
I'm playing Korea and got this start. This is in a nutshell, what I hate about Korea as I've never found the best way of making something like this work out.

Should I instantly beeline optics for the lighthouse and delay the National College? Is there even a point in building a worker, or just stealing 1 (normally, I do both), when do I build the boats for this? etc. Thanks

Attachments

• 2014-07-29_00001.jpg
    2014-07-29_00001.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 629
Normally for sea-heavy starts: beeline lighthouse after granary (god of the sea if possible but don't hold your breath on deity... work boats are too many hammers but the good thing is you don't need workers for a long time) then NC. Forget about expanding until NC is done.

On your start however (2 wheat) sheep, and lots of forest to chop, it's possible to play normally as you would with a land-based start, (expand if you want to) then go into optics once NC is building, then get that lighthouse after NC.

Things being equal: lighthouse > NC (you'll get the same science if your city is simply 50% bigger anyway, but NC simply means you get it over with and you can expand easily without having to worry about libraries, so more scouting is necessary to see where your neighbors are and where you need to expand)
Then if you get God of the Sea fight tooth and nail to get Hagia Sophia if all religions haven't been taken (with lighthouse and work boats and the pantheon though I'm guessing you'd build any early wonder in under 10 turns anyway). Then go on to win the game.

Normally for sea-heavy starts: beeline lighthouse after granary (god of the sea if possible but don't hold your breath on deity... work boats are too many hammers but the good thing is you don't need workers for a long time) then NC. Forget about expanding until NC is done.

On your start however (2 wheat) sheep, and lots of forest to chop, it's possible to play normally as you would with a land-based start, (expand if you want to) then go into optics once NC is building, then get that lighthouse after NC.

Things being equal: lighthouse > NC (you'll get the same science if your city is simply 50% bigger anyway, but NC simply means you get it over with and you can expand easily without having to worry about libraries, so more scouting is necessary to see where your neighbors are and where you need to expand)
Then if you get God of the Sea fight tooth and nail to get Hagia Sophia if all religions haven't been taken (with lighthouse and work boats and the pantheon though I'm guessing you'd build any early wonder in under 10 turns anyway). Then go on to win the game.

thanks for the help. I normally like to settle 4 cities asap and OCC is not any fun. Where would I get 3 settlers out there in time though? Thanks for the tips.

thanks for the help. I normally like to settle 4 cities asap and OCC is not any fun. Where would I get 3 settlers out there in time though? Thanks for the tips.

then you play normally and chop them out with workers and act as if the seafood isn't there for the time being... however I do feel it's such a waste of a good sea start...

Now that is a nice capital. :)

I'd stick to land development initially: you have double wheat, nice chops, and hills. Focus on Workers, Military, Granaries. If Hiawatha is south I would probably 4 pop a settler to go get a good spot in his direction. He's one of the most aggressive expanders.

I somewhat disagree with the Shrine build. You don't have a faith pantheon so probably no religion. Your pantheon is then for early economic gains: God of the Sea is too slow (and you have plenty of hammers), Sun God / God-King / Goddess of the Hunt are all outperformed by a Granary or a Cargo Ship.

Maybe three city NC. Try to pick up more luxuries because that capital will grow like wildfire soon enough.

You do understand that you have to change your priorities based upon your starting conditions, right? You can't just go into every game and go "I'ma do this!" and stick to it with no considerations of the lay of the land.

you do understand that you have to change your priorities based upon your starting conditions, right? You can't just go into every game and go "i'ma do this!" and stick to it with no considerations of the lay of the land.

nope. Leroyyy jenkinnssss!!!!

Beelone lighthouse, make 1 work boat before settling (or rush it), go 3 city NC, 4 if you somehow manage to swim in happiness.

Interesting. Would you stick with the shrine too then? I don't know if I have much experience with starts that have such strong sea and land tiles.

Edit: I think there are actually 6 sea tiles, which almost certainly favours the Lighthouse option. That's a lot of food.

Interesting. Would you stick with the shrine too then? I don't know if I have much experience with starts that have such strong sea and land tiles.

Edit: I think there are actually 6 sea tiles, which almost certainly favours the Lighthouse option. That's a lot of food.

Well you still want to take care of land. Early granary is still in order. And yes I would make a shrine after granary. You don't need a super fast one but you should have the time after your granary. Either way... lighthouse will just skyrocket the game so it's a must.

OP if you'd post the save I think I'd have fun with it... (assuming deity of course)
And I really really do not see the need for fast expanding here... not when you can rocket up your capitol to its teens and catch some medieval wonders like Hagia to keep your pantheon. With God of the Sea, in a while your capitol will only take maybe 2-3 turns per boat, which is 1 food 1 hammer, and each lux copy is 7 gpt at worst.

I say you can delay the expansion simply because the map looks like you are in a peninsula of your own. No need to expand until you can feed them with cargo ships.

nope. Leroyyy jenkinnssss!!!!

Srsly, nerf him already Blizzard... :lol: With shadowstep or brewmaster it's stronger than a pyroblast for the same mana when your opponent has no taunts (Hearthstone players will understand) and to top that off he clogs the opponent's board with those weakass 1/1 whelps.

On a serious note, he's right... you have to adapt your strategies depending on your opponents...

Top Bottom