Rebel Sentiment

Thundercracker

Chieftain
While reading the threads in this forum, I've noticed many people don't really understand how the liberty bell/rebel sentiment works. Namely, I've noticed people griping how bad it is that people outside colonies count as tories. This is wrong. Axxon does a wonderful job of explaining the mechanics of rebel sentiment here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=293730

One point of this is, as far as overall rebel sentiment is concerned, it doesn't matter if your people are inside or outside of the cities. Try it sometime. When you have a stable rebel sentiment and number of colonists, try suddenly taking lots out of cities (except for the statesmen, obviously), and wait a few turns. Your overall sentiment doesn't change.

From what I can tell individual city sentiment means squat. Total bells per city affects its borders, Overall rebel sentiment affects many things including allowing DoI, but the sentiment in individual cities seems to have no real meaning on its own. (Someone let me know if you know of one.)

For those looking to apply this, to declare independence, you need to be producing more than 2 bells per turn for every colonist you have anywhere, including on the dock. So if you have 50 colonists, you need over 100 bells per turn to be able to get over 50% sentiment. The more bells per turn per colonist you have, the faster sentiment grows. This caps at 4 bell per colonist, at which point you have 100% "target" rebel sentiment. In this case, you can go from 0% sentiment to 50% in just 7 turns.

From what I can tell individual city sentiment means squat. Total bells per city affects its borders, Overall rebel sentiment affects many things including allowing DoI, but the sentiment in individual cities seems to have no real meaning on its own. (Someone let me know if you know of one.)

I think (let's someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that total rebel sentiment is calulated in way, that you take your total population and use total LB generated over turn to modify it.

That's only way it makes sense, otherwise it would be impossible to get 100% rating during war, when you have dozen of units.

P.S.
As for per city sentiment, it's also used for calculating production bonuses.

Top Bottom