Least favorite time to War

I don't like warring in the...

• Ancient Era ("Damn hills!")

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • Classical Era ("They are getting Iron for Pig... FML")

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Medieval Era ("Wonder if I'll fall asleep by the time defenses reach 0")

• Renaissance Era ("Where the hell did you pull those Rifles from?")

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Industrial Era ("We're doing fine on our own... No you're not!")

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Modern Era ("Holy crap it lags so bad... just gonna nuke everyone")

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Future Era ("I still haven't won yet??? Nuke everyone!")

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I am a pacifist, thus I dislike any of this savage behavior

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • There is no bad era; you're all peacemongering cowards

• Never! (Defy Resolution)

Votes: 12 10.3%

• Total voters
There's an option to skip those. Nobody forces you to watch all the AI moves.

Referring to the lag-- though it doesn't really lag until the modern age.

By the time I get to the Modern Era, I'm bored.

TMIT just nukes, paradrops everything. I wonder if he ever SidsSushiCreateConJewlers when he "conquers" a city to spread his culture like a veneral disease? I know I do...

IF IF IF I need to kill someone, I do it without nukes, and when I take that city, I add MY cultural and biological distinctiveness to THEIR own ... (The Borg never had Sid's Sushi)

My computer lags too badly in the modern era, so I try to wrap things up by the Industrial (unless I am playing a smaller map). I at least saw riflemen in my last game!

By the time I get to the Modern Era, I'm bored.

TMIT just nukes, paradrops everything. I wonder if he ever SidsSushiCreateConJewlers when he "conquers" a city to spread his culture like a veneral disease? I know I do...

IF IF IF I need to kill someone, I do it without nukes, and when I take that city, I add MY cultural and biological distinctiveness to THEIR own ... (The Borg never had Sid's Sushi)

If you really want to achieve cultural purity :)lol:) you'd be better off just razing their cities and using a settler to found a new one just afterwards. :D

If you really want to achieve cultural purity :)lol:) you'd be better off just razing their cities and using a settler to found a new one just afterwards. :D

Wouldn't work, city would still have 99% of the other culture, because culture remains ;)

War is always welcomed by me, it is not the horrors of war that frighten me, but the unseen horrors of peace.

unless. I'm outnumbered... that is the only time I do not like war, but, if I outnumber you, and happen to NOT like you, well, either get better relations with me, or prepare for war.

Take every last one of their cities, and their culture is absorbed into your own. Err, it's removed from the board, thus making the cities 100% your culture. Now that's some Borg-stuff.

unless. I'm outnumbered... that is the only time I do not like war, but, if I outnumber you, and happen to NOT like you, well, either get better relations with me, or prepare for war.

I'm not afraid of numbers if I can get a good start. If they have a culture-threatened city right on the border and have piled units into it, try declaring war, bombarding it with siege, and then attacking all in the same turn. They won't have a chance to react, and with local force superiority you can devastate them.

I subscribe to the Prussian maxim: wars should be short and lively.

I guess medieval war. Castles are a pain in the neck in the faster speed and AI SoDs are a bit painful to break with catas.

I just played a game on immortal (with a mod that increases difficulty roughly 500%) and I basically raped the biggest baddest enemy just by deploying all my guys in a city with 30% defence bonus. hannibal just kept sending 20-30 spearmen and archers at a time to suicide against my 10 defenders. I got 3 great generals when he finally stopped. Also since he was building so many units to spam me with his research went way down due to the overloaded maintenance cost - so by the time he gave up on the war I was in the late medieval age and he was still in the late ancient age.

Ancient age = easiest time to rape the AI. (also I started the war by hijacking his starting worker)

I hate army, it's so wasteful. You train guys with axes instead of libraries, or aqueducts, or whatever would make your cities beautiful. Than they are just standing there eating commerce, waiting to become obsolete and even more non-sense, than they already are.

Or worse, they go to war and die, wasting hammers spent for them irreversibly. It hurts every time I see this.

I know, I should play Anno Domini, or something:)

I even don't like research military techs - Representation is so much more civilized, than Military Tradition, don't you agree? And this game is called Civilization, not Chaos and Destruction (maybe it should?).

Anyway, I like to get over war period as soon, as possible, getting enough land to win. So getting catapults is good time, before longbows. Then, wuss mode on.

I know it's suboptimal. Yet I have so many things to improve in my gameplay I can leave it for now.

I hate army, it's so wasteful. You train guys with axes instead of libraries, or aqueducts, or whatever would make your cities beautiful. Than they are just standing there eating commerce, waiting to become obsolete and even more non-sense, than they already are.

Or worse, they go to war and die, wasting hammers spent for them irreversibly. It hurts every time I see this.

I know, I should play Anno Domini, or something:)

I even don't like research military techs - Representation is so much more civilized, than Military Tradition, don't you agree? And this game is called Civilization, not Chaos and Destruction (maybe it should?).

Anyway, I like to get over war period as soon, as possible, getting enough land to win. So getting catapults is good time, before longbows. Then, wuss mode on.

I know it's suboptimal. Yet I have so many things to improve in my gameplay I can leave it for now.

With the shields you spent building libraries and courthouses I'd be able to eat you alive easily. Then all your production would be mine.

:mwaha:

With the shields you spent building libraries and courthouses I'd be able to eat you alive easily. Then all your production would be mine.

:mwaha:

Not if you were an AI and he employed the epic strategy of deploying his army in a city with walls. Then you'd suicide your entire army against him even at highest difficulty and he would be two era's ahead of you.

I know that, it's quite obvious. I've played this game a little, even if I'm not that exceptional player.
In the short run sometimes even in research it's better to skip infra, building wealth or research instead.
And short run advantage is everything you need to get long term advantage of more cities.

But the army is a waste for, you know, humanity.:) All civilizations could just research techs and trade them, making rapid progress. They would even have a kind of rivalry, but peaceful.
I know it's a hippie dream, I'm not delusional:crazyeye:

@attackfighter
Thanks for support:) Having enough cities you can turtle, like you advise. Yet one has to have those cities.

I know that, it's quite obvious. I've played this game a little, even if I'm not that exceptional player.
In the short run sometimes even in research it's better to skip infra, building wealth or research instead.
And short run advantage is everything you need to get long term advantage of more cities.

But the army is a waste for, you know, humanity.:) All civilizations could just research techs and trade them, making rapid progress. They would even have a kind of rivalry, but peaceful.

Technology is evil though.

@attackfighter
Thanks for support:) Having enough cities you can turtle, like you advise. Yet one has to have those cities.

It would be nice to play multiplayer against you... I'd like to see you saying that if in a single turn I razed several of your cities :lol:

Top Bottom