Worst starting luxuries combo?

bcaiko

Emperor
What, in your opinion, is the worst luxury combination you can have have when you start the game? Why do you think it's the worst?

(And, no, "gems and nothing but jungle" is not an option...though I've had that happen to me multiple times.)

To me, I'd guess it's whales and gems. They're on complete opposite sides of the tech tree, and if the gems are covered in jungle, you even have to get iron working to get at them. Meanwhile, to improve the whales, you need to build a workboat, and improved whales are easy for a random barbarian ship to come along and pillage.

Interested in your thoughts!

worst by far is whales and ivory, or any combination of sea and trapping lux's. Sea lux's suck any way, and trapping is far off any good tech path

Any combination of marsh sugar, jungle lux, trapping lux and sailing lux. Spices or Silk in a jungle and Pearls would be very annoying because of the bad unimproved yield on Pearls, the time needed to research all the techs and the time needed to build workboats and chop jungle.

At least Whales give 2 food from the start, Pearls only have 1.

I would say Marsh Sugar and Pearl.

Bronze Working at least reveals Iron and could potentially give you bonus production in the beginning. Masonry gives you...ability to work stones?

Pearl is just awful as a lux.

Any combination of marsh sugar, jungle lux, trapping lux and sailing lux. Spices or Silk in a jungle and Pearls would be very annoying because of the bad unimproved yield on Pearls, the time needed to research all the techs and the time needed to build workboats and chop jungle.

At least Whales give 2 food from the start, Pearls only have 1.

Almost positive that Silk can't spawn in jungle, only forest.

That said, jungle Gems, Pearls, and Ivory are probably the worst combo. You need Bronze Working, Trapping, Sailing, and Calendar, so you need a bunch of techs. Plus, the luxuries have bad yields and require a lot of time (clear jungle or build fishing boat) to improve.

Almost positive that Silk can't spawn in jungle, only forest.
It can spawn in jungles, though it's a rare, much like dyes in a jungle.

Also, know that I think about it, truffles can spawn on a marsh. I'll change my vote to marsh truffles and pearls.

Any sea lux is generally awful, not only do you have to waste building a work boat for it but also you have to leave a military boat by it just to make sure a barb ship doesn't come by and ruin it. Pearls is probably the only good one since it does have the faith bonus with the pantheon belief. That's the only reason Pearls/Gems could actually be really good.

I'd say worst overall is any camp lux besides elephants (circus) and either whales or crabs.

Most Definitely:

Marsh Sugar (Mining -> Masonry, Pottery -> Calendar)

and

Marsh Truffles (Animal Husbandry -> Trapping)

They take 6 techs to exploit them properly, and don't give you any hammers to do anything afterwards. At least with sailing luxes, you can build a lighthouse to give instant +1 food and +1 hammer boost.

Also, unlikely ivory, truffles can't even get you circuses!

Top Bottom