'tis the little things in Civ...

MrBullterrier

Chieftain
Hey, all! You like Civilization I-IV , right? You enjoyed the gameplay, the setting, the music... All the things that make a game. However, all the things, that make a game are not really all the things, that make the experience of playing it, are they? Sometimes it's not so much the gameplay, which impresses us, but some small, possibly insignificant detail, that gives the feeling of depth or plain good atmosphere. Everybody has a few favorite points of a game, so small in comparsion to what is usually discussed, that we almost never talk about them. Whether a cosmetic change in a city's and leader's appearance through the ages, or building your private palace, sometimes I think 'tis really the little things, that bring the most.
What about you? Do you have any ideas or favorite details you'd like to see revived in the next age of Civilization?

Do you have any ideas or favorite details you'd like to see revived in the next age of Civilization?

Yes. I loved the way there was NO culture in Civ2.

I had this feeling to play a mere game a the start, with its own rules yet to disvover (see the topic "Sid Meier Civilization"). But within a certain game, I started to figure out i ruled a TRUE country! Because my cities was surrounded with other civs cities, and i really felt like a country among the countries.

I don't really know if it's the presence of culture that ruined this feeling in Civ3 and Civ4, because anyway i already felt it (i mean, how possible could i have been surprised again when i knew what was running?), but i didn't have this feeling in Civ3 or Civ4.

IMO the feeling you have with culture borders so soon in the game has no comparison with the aforementionned feeling. Culture borders are so artificial...

Anyway, there would have been a way to retrigger this feeling by adding some other stuff in Civ3 or Civ4... they added culture, which is IMO not a good way to treat with that.

I loved civ2's advisors and wonder movies, they, in conjunction with the amazing and fitting music, really made it awesome as opposed to just good. CIV's music is all right, nothing too spectacular (outside Baba Yetu of course). The tech quotes add a bit of awesomesauce to the mix though, as does the global map zoom-out feature.

Weird. I personally don't understand how you feel like you have a nation at all with no borders, when anything that isn't your city is no man's land.

I got *much* more of a feeling of having a nation once borders were added in Civ3. So declaring war was crossing my borders with your army, not attacking one of my cities.

The way Civ5 handles it with "purchasing" land seems like a good balance. I never did like the whole "culture borders" but it was better than no borders at all.

I have fond childhood memories of those arguing advisers. I did not understand what they said, but, damn. Memories. Give 'em back. :D

Weird. I personally don't understand how you feel like you have a nation at all with no borders, when anything that isn't your city is no man's land.

I got *much* more of a feeling of having a nation once borders were added in Civ3. So declaring war was crossing my borders with your army, not attacking one of my cities.

Be aware that i didn't have a feeling to rule a true country since the start. And that is what was so amazing in it, because after all, I truly didn't rule a true country since the start... only starting with 1 city. Then, with other civs surrouding mine, I started to figure out the true frontiers, and made myself the remark "wow, i'm now ruling a true country". The difference being, beside accuracy, that it is implicit much more than explicit. I believe implicit things have more power over explicit ones generally.

Beside that, I really hate the way borders are handled in civ3 and Civ4, notably because of conquests: you generally can't do a short war in order to take one or two cities, because their lands would be taken over by the other ennemy cities culture. By consequence, there is less strategy nuances than having the possibility and validity to do small wars and keep and take a substantial profit from single border cities.

I downloaded Steam a few weeks back to check it out and bought Civ3 (again). I was playing it the other day and realized that I miss being able to send my early boats out into the open seas with the chance of them sinking.

Baba Yetu makes me happy every time I launch [civ4] to play my Pitboss turns. I set the option in BTS to use the original main menu screen so that I get to hear that music.

Yeah, I kept exaggerating this issue in my other thread when Civilization 4 lost a lot of great things from CIV 4 like the Throne Room, Palace decorator, City View that made it feel great!

With Sid Meier's speech some time ago, about utilizing the players imagination to cut corners on some features that could save money/time for developers, I doubt we will see a throne room or a palace. But sometimes "expecting the worst and hoping for the best" works wonders.

With Sid Meier's speech some time ago, about utilizing the players imagination to cut corners on some features that could save money/time for developers, I doubt we will see a throne room or a palace. But sometimes "expecting the worst and hoping for the best" works wonders.

WHAT IS THIS CRAP?! :mad:

Civilization is an epic game and shouldn't cut any damn corners, all these little things seriously add up to make the game more appealing. :sad:

One of the little things that is probably most memorable about Civ4: The fact your units speak the same language of the civ they are. How many games do that.

I personally miss, how the leader's clothing and background settings used to change according to the Age in which they were. It's also not so much just a cosmetic option, because when I'm in the middle ages, leading a religious crusade against... pretty much anybody within range and then Lincoln pops up all dressed up for a night at the Theater, it kinda kills the mood. (not enough, that I stop the crusade of course)

WHAT IS THIS CRAP?! :mad:

Civilization is an epic game and shouldn't cut any damn corners, all these little things seriously add up to make the game more appealing. :sad:

Exactly! Why cut corners! I'm kept on being reminded to imagine how my Civilziation will be, but when I don't have any sense of controlling a civilization, how can I imagine it? You need this stuff to make it more appealing!

One of the little things that is probably most memorable about Civ4: The fact your units speak the same language of the civ they are. How many games do that.

Civilization V will make the leaders speak in their language! Bad news for modders though, if they want a full mod, they need to record some transcripts for each statement!

Top Bottom