Getting Started

I wanted to get just the unofficial patch first to try out on g&k (don't have bnw), but the install link to steam from the blog is dead, and manual install link goes to bnw version?

What to do?

I wanted to get just the unofficial patch first to try out on g&k (don't have bnw), but the install link to steam from the blog is dead, and manual install link goes to bnw version?

What to do?

The patch Firaxis released as well as the expansion itself have, for the time being, rendered CivUp/GEM or VEM unplayable.

All effort at the moment is to get CEP up and running. Most of the work put into 'CEP Basic' should also work 'eventually' with games without BNW.

Patience.:)

Ok, thanks. I really wanted the UI improvements. Do you know of mod with similar UI features like visible upgrades on units (w/o clicking on them)? I just got into Civ, and found the stock screens to be a frustratingly lacking on critical info, like I would easily run out of moves on high mobility units because they ran over not so obvious marsh/tundra.

There are many mods that do what you are after.

I can't think off the top of my head at the moment.

Try looking at Whoward's mods he is very skilled.

Or.

Hang on a bit and see what results here. ;)

Yeah, these vanilla screens are very annoyingly bad... Try InfoAddict (Light), some of whoward's mods (not sure how many are updated yet...) and the general modding forums...

I cant find any of thals mods on the steam mod workshop and when I click the automatic download from his website it says That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author. any help would be appreciated

I cant find any of thals mods on the steam mod workshop and when I click the automatic download from his website it says That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author. any help would be appreciated

He will have it back on Steam shortly. You can get the latest here.

How do you get this to install? When I click the above link and then on the wiki page click the C button with install, it just bounces me around. The BNW buttons will actually allow a download. Is this broken?

How do you get this to install? When I click the above link and then on the wiki page click the C button with install, it just bounces me around. The BNW buttons will actually allow a download. Is this broken?

Clicking the link in my last post will open a new page in your browser that takes you to the install page at the Wiki for Communitas.

You should see a heading: Brave New World with 4 blue buttons, one for each of the separate parts of the mod, Map, CAT, CEG & CIN.

Pressing those buttons downloads the mods in the form of files with the extension *.civ5mod.
These are simply packaged archive files of the mod. Moving them into your MODS folder inside your Civ V installation folder is all that is required.
Next time you start your game, choose MODS at game menu, wait for the game to extract and install them, check them with your mouse to select them for use and then start a game.
If you use the Map, make sure to actually select that map type for your game from the map selection menu.

I've been trying to get started with the mod again, and run into issues. I suppose it gets down to:
- What add-ons do you need to run the mod?
- What version of Civ 5 do you need to run the (currently downloadable) mod?
- How does one get that version starting from owning basic civ and the add-ons?

The Wiki page is, far as I can see, sorely lacking in this information making it frustrating at the least to try to get started.

Any help, please?

It looks that "getting started" could be impossible with currently available versions of civ and the mod. (the version of civ that the mod works with cannot be obtained, with or without money). If so, it would avoid a lot of frustration to at least state that next to the mod download links. Much better if the situation could be rectified or worked around, though.

It's telling of thhe mod that after coming back to Civ and playing (stock) BNW for a couple games, I'd much rather play Vanilla Enhanced as I recall it from couple years back. Thal and the team had done a much better work shaping Civ with the mod than Firaxis could with all the resources they put to two expansions. Which makes getting started problems all the more annoying.

The version of Civ V that you should be running, assuming you keep up-to-date with the patches from Firaxis, is version 1.0.3.144.

This is latest with the BNW & G&K expansions included.

The core game files have been altered just enough by Firaxis to make it difficult to be backward compatible with any game without these 2 expansion packs.

Apart from that there are no other requirements to run this mod. The proviso here is that you must have all the parts together to run.

CAT requires an up-to-date installation of the game
CEG requires the same AND CAT to installed first
CIN needs both CAT & CEG

The Communitas MAP needs nothing special and can be used alone.

You can, if you do a bit of searching, find ALL the components in the downloads section here in the forum.
Or you could just go here to the Communitas Wiki install page and download each component by pressing the respective blue buttons.

I think I got the mod running after buying G&K. I thought it was still incompatability with the fall patch as opposed to need for G&K. Cheers for the help.

@epharos06

If you go to the wiki page using the link in my last post you will see the downloads for the outdated versions. Just click the links via the big blue buttons.

But. Since the 'Fall Patch' by Firaxis, much of those mods' features are broken and next to unplayable. Thalassicus has said on that page that after a while he 'may' get around to it if he finds the time.

Hello, I can't find myself in the wikia and the post I found about the leaders is two months old.
Is there any place I can read the modifications from the BNW to CEP BNW?

The Leaders' traits is the information I'm looking for, but I would like to know a lot before moving to a mod with so many changes.

Thanks.

Yeah, I have the same problem as previous poster - lack of information about the CEP (yeah, I know CEP wiki exists, but still I have no idea about civilizations changes, overall changes, some kind of summary and so on)

It's not perfect, but you can see some of the information on the civs if you go to start a new game and look through the leaders BEFORE you switch to the advanced settings view.

It's not perfect because you have to be in-game, it doesn't actually document some of the secondary benefits for some civs, and I don't think it gives you a tooltip for the the unique units and buildings.

Alternatively, you can start a game and look at all the civs in civilopedia (i think this still omits some secondary benefits) and pore through the buildings and units lists for the uniques.

Also not as nice as a web page, but that's what I ended up doing because I wanted to get started right away :cool:

Top Bottom