Is King to Emperor a big jump?

I got to the point of winning about 9/10 games on emperor, and now win about 5/10 immortal and 2/10 deity, always on random settings.

Strategy obviously changes on map type, but there are key things to do.

You can win with any civ, as long as you play to their strengths. Whoever you play, citizens mean more science, so get more citizens, i.e. focus on growing your cities. A key thing to do on higher levels is micromanage. It isn't as important as previous civ games but you still benefit from getting that growth 1 turn earlier by tinkering, or timing moves between eras to coincide with new social policies, etc.

A giant help when moving up, at least for me, was to make sure I looked at each city screen every turn. If you miss out on growth by one food, it is worth taking off a production tile for food, as you'll get that production anyway when you grow.

Don't get buildings you don't need yet, as they cost gold per turn. Sell buildings if you don't want them anymore. Sell buildings in cities you are razing - make sure you don't waste gold, as you'll need it to ally city states, buy key buildings or bribe civs.

Well, it's all about practice. For me Emperor is always win and immortal 3/4 win.

It's great to play at least twice with the cookie-cutter strategies, and go for a SV. After all to get great chances to any vic is good to have tech parity/lead:

- 4 city tradition start.
- Prioritize growth.
- Fast NC.
- Beeline education.
- Tradition -> (Consulates) -> Rationalism -> Freedom/Order.
- Farm mostly GS, plant them up to industrial.
- Save GS up to hubble, unleash once all your science is fully developed.

And some things that are more and more important as you rise difficulties:
- Manage your workers manually.
- Try to maintain happiness green all the game. Spend money to ally a merchant CS at some time if necessary (you need to save quite some money, beware..)
- Lock de good tiles of cities (beware to review it if you are bulding a settler or you get red happiness)
- Watch for enemies going against you to instead pay them to DoW another civ.
- Watch for CS quests.
- Learn to know what to build: what you really need.

I have found each jump to the next level challenging, as a result I will reduce the number of AI and map size at first.

In my first Emperor game I've made that 'mistake' which has led to a ridiculously big Greek empire. He had only shared his big continent sized peninsula with Polynesia. Till
renaissance. I have never had such a big army at our common border before. :D At least he was only the second in tech and hated by the most part of the world. So, in late game just one quick war and hundred years of cold war were between us.

By the way that game also taught me to bribe warmongers against each other and to be polite with the tech runaway.

On the cookie cuter above; most of it is very good stuff.

But if you have BNW but not the beta patch, then Diplomatic victory is much faster than science victory.
It starts the same as above

1) Only go freedom instead of freedom or order. (As a side note; until the beta patch officially arrives as the Fall patch (or you join the Beta), Freedom is clearly superior for space race at a price of only about 1000 gold each. [Beta doubles it to about 2000] )

2) Choose the free city state influence from trade routes as your (first) level 3 tenet. Aprox 30 turns before then, start changing routes to city states.

3) When you reach early Atomic, beeline into Information era top row and continue to Globalization. Aprox 6 turns before researching Globalization relocate all spies that are in city states and turn into diplomats.

4) One turn before the vote, buy any additional city states needed. But even if you don't spend cash now and miss it, you are a shoe in for the next vote 20 turns from then.

Top Bottom