Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

What's a striped RAID array?

Let's say I have a .mp3 song, which is at 44100Hz, 32-bit float, and a bit rate of 128.

Does increasing JUST the bit rate from 128 (to 320) improve the audio quality of the track? Or would there need to be further adjustments to improve the sound quality of the track?

Let's say I have a .mp3 song, which is at 44100Hz, 32-bit float, and a bit rate of 128.

Does increasing JUST the bit rate from 128 (to 320) improve the audio quality of the track? Or would there need to be further adjustments to improve the sound quality of the track?

If you have an mp3 song, you can't improve the quality of the track, you need to re-rip it from the lossless source with higher quality settings.

Not really a computer question, but an internet question. Why did gmail have to change their nice look to this horrible ass interface? Why do things have to change? There was nothing wrong with it before. Now it looks horrible. And instead of using actual words, they use icons. Why does everything have to be icons now days? What ever happened to reading? There is a reason we invented letters and language in the first place. This is really pissing me off. Is there no way to stay with the old look?

It appears that my text input is horribly lagging on certain sites, such as the Minecraft forums, Facebook, and Gmail. Any potential reason as to why? I use Chrome, if that matters at all. There is often many second delays between what I type and when it appears on the screen. It is fine everywhere else.

I was looking MoBos at a store, and noticed one of them has 64 gb maximum of ram. The store clerk explained that it has support for 16 gb ram sticks (ddr3), "although it's completely stupid and nobody would ever use them".

I was baffled then, as I thought 4 gb was the biggest there is, but anyhow: are 16 gb ddr3 sticks completely stupid? Why? Would it be stupid to pay 10 euros more to have that kind of ability to expansions in future, or will the processor support (am3+) most likely be outdated when that kind of amounts of ram are accurate? Or will there be better ram by that time?

My mom forgot to pay the ISP and they turned us off. Obviously we are back on now. However the internet was dropping packets until I went into the router panel and reset it to factory. And now it works just fine. Why does this happen?

Also, another question. Moving to another apartment, finally. It has 2 stories. My computers are upstairs and my mom are downstairs. Normally, does the ISP use one line or two for multi-storey?

How is your internet physically connected? Does it enter the house on a phone line or a cable TV line? In either case they probably only give you 1 modem. After that, if you want multiple computers attached you need to use a router. If you have a wireless router, than putting the comps anywhere in the apartment should be fine. Otherwise you'll just have to run an Ethernet cable.

Actually, the thing is my mom switched ISPs for the move and now we're using fibre-optic -- so I don't know how that goes. Since I have more than one computer (upstairs) I'm putting the modem and router upstairs. I'm not sure if from there, my mom's computer (downstairs) will be sent from the router downstairs or a seperate line.

Another question: If there is two lines (my mom thinks so) she's planning to put her computer "naked" without a router. I'm trying to convince her to use a router just for the packet filtering (firewall) (along with Windows Firewall) but she seems to think that a software solution (I dont know what she's planning to use) is best. Who's right here?

Hardware firewall, assuming it's modern, is preferable. But to be separate the ISP would still have to provide 2 modems.

I was baffled then, as I thought 4 gb was the biggest there is, but anyhow: are 16 gb ddr3 sticks completely stupid? Why? Would it be stupid to pay 10 euros more to have that kind of ability to expansions in future, or will the processor support (am3+) most likely be outdated when that kind of amounts of ram are accurate? Or will there be better ram by that time?

At least stupidly expensive :D

As an average consumer, you will not come close to even using 32 GB of RAM for the forseeable future. And yes, if you might find a use for it eventually, a AM3+ based machine will be horrible outdated by then.

Top Bottom