Cheating Mehmed

-Ilu-

Chieftain
Hi,

Here is a small AAR (afted action report) which I started today. It tells about a war in a game that I played couple of weeks ago. Basically its a story about waging a war against superior enemies. It's not going to be very long but I still devide it into few parts as it is not yet completely ready.

I was playing as a France and I think the difficulty level was noble or prince. So enjoy !

Backround

The roots for this conflict were laid some 100 years before during my first war against Asoka. At that time I had allied myself with Mehmed and we conquered some Indian cities together. After the successful conquest the inevitable happened and Asoka became vassal of Mehmed and this, as usual in these situations, made me wery angry. It was not so much the situation in the mainland which annoyed me, but in the North there was a big island I was very keen to make part of my empire. Unfortunately Asoka had already established cities there so now I couldn’t take the island anymore without declaring war to Mehmed. I had already built two cities in the island but in my opinion the best places for cities were now under Asoka control. Maps 1 and 2 gives you a picture of the situation.

Mainland and the cities which Asoka lost during the first war

The Northern Island and the cities I just couldn’t get

As time went on these two cities which were denied from me became an obsession to me. As you can see they hold very important resources and are in anyway placed well. The Northern Island was also strategically important; the strait between the mainland and the island was the shortest way for my navy to break out to the Eastern Ocean. The Northern Island and a smaller island South of it also formed a barrier against any incoming invaders.

Mehmed makes a mistake

So the year was 1950 and I wasn’t doing very well in the game. I needed a war that would elevate my empire again. There was basically only two options availabe; I could attack England in the South or to attack Mehmed and Asoka. My navy and army was not enough strong to wage a war in another continent. Conquering Hatshepsuts oversea colonies was also a tempting idea but somehow it didn’t fit to my plans, maybe I considered her to be too good trade partner. Here is the powergraph at that moment to give you an idea why attacking Mehmed and Asoka was not a very realistic idea.

Power situation in 1955

When looking at the powergraph it seemed like a madness to attack Mehmed and Asoka but I was still obsessed with the Northern Island and the injustice which I had endured 100 years ago. The English Empire in the South in my terms was not very important strategically and did not hold that many good resources.

In 1950 I finally got a chance that was just too good to miss. Mehmed had been waging war against Isabella for some time. Isabella had a small colony just in the tip of a long peninsula which was in my backyard, a longway from Mehmeds mainland (see map 1). Of course Mehmed wanted to take this only Spanish city which was on our continent and of course he sent ALL his offensive troops there. I watched as his two stacks of doom moved accros my areas (we had open borders that time) to take the tiny Spanish city in the tip of the peninsula. I counted that there were 30 cuirassiers, 26 cavalries, 2 riflemans, 8 janissaries and 3 trebuchets. I think it was something like 2/3 of his troops at that time. After they had taken the Spanish city I cancelled our open borders deal and there they were, trapped far away from home. I also had just started my Golden Age so I tought that there would be no better chance to strike Mehmed and Asoka than this. So in 1955 I declared war against the two and begun my great gamble.

I knew I could not hold the Mehmeds great army in the peninsula forever but I could reduce and slow it down by selecting good defendisive positions along the peninsula. At the beginning of the conflict my whole army consisted of 17 riflemen, 9 infantry, 10 cannons, 3 cavalry and 1 machinegunner. In the map 3 you can see my defensive positions in the peninsula.

The defence line in the peninsula

Etruscan, which was at that my city, had to be left behind and I withdraw all my troops from there to the better defensive positions. The reason to make this many defence positions was that my troops were not ready and I was still moving them to the peninsula. In Parthian (the third line of defence) I had some cannons waiting to soften up the rest of the Mehmeds troops that would broke trough my first and second lines of defence.

Which French leader are you?

Now that you asked it... I'm not quite sure. As I usually prefer modern leaders I think it was De Gaulle

Just realised that it was Asoka not Gandhi who I was fighting against :) I will fix this to the earlier post. Here is also the rest of the story so enjoy :)

Churchill comes along

After declaring war I launched my own small offensive in the mainland and took Samsun and Lahore. I thought that I could quite easily operate in the mainland now that the Mehmeds army was trapped in the peninsula. But I was wrong. Mehmed still possesed some troops and he was able to attack Samsun and when facing certain defeat I withdraw my troops back across the border. Lahore saw some heavy fighting and switched sides couple of times but I was finally able to keep it. Asoka also attacked from the north and I had some hard time there. The main problems were in the South were Mehmed was threatning Lyons and Bangalore.

My attacks in the mainland after the declaration of war

To secure the southern region I contacted Churchill and I was able to convince him to attack Mehmed. So the whole continent was now in war. When the pressure eased in the South after Churchill came along I was able to halt all the attacks made by Asoka and Mehmed.

In the peninsula Mehmed main force had broken trough my defences with quite heavy losses and was now threatning Parthian and Rouen. I had concentrated all my efforts to halt the attack in Parthian so Rouan was almost without defence. After some heavy fighting Mehmeds forces were able to take Parthian and Rouan. His forces were now ready to march south to strike my back but his losses had already been heavy and there were no reinforcements coming.

Mehmeds advance in the peninsula

Russians intervene

More setbacks came from the Far East when Russians declared war on me. They had obviously been seeking a chance to gain some power in the east ocean and now they had their chance. They landed troops to the northern island and were able to take Libyan, my only harbor city in the island. Fortunatelly I had gathered quite a substancial force in the island to attack Asokas territory but now I had to use it to liberate my own city. I was able to do that quite easily but the real damage the Russians had inflicted was that they had destroyed my navy in the area and I had no possibility to transfer troops to the island. This will have severe consequences in the future.

My main sea route to the island and the operations of the Russian navy

Battles in the peninsula

Mehmed continued his attack in the peninsula and was able to launch his next move faster than I had expected. I hadn’t taken in count that after Mehmed took my two cities in the peninsula he was able to move faster because the cultural borders changed. So he was able to bypass my two forts unchallenged.

I had to halt all my operations in the mainland and concentrate to the situation in the peninsula. I had already formed a small army to attack and maybe liberate Rouan across the narrow strait but now I had other work for that. I realised that this was a perfect chance to beat the Mehmeds army completely. By encircling it, it would have no where to go. So I let the army to advance towards Avignon in the western coast and then landed my troops behind it and with a double attack from both sides I was able to destroy it completely.

Mehmeds attack against Avignon and the destruction of his army

After the destruction of Mehmeds army I was able to liberate the peninsula as Mehmed had not left many troops to defend the cities. After this the fighting in the peninsula was over.

Desicive defeat in the North

As I stated in the beginning the initial goal of the war was to conquer the Asokas territory in the northern island. This task hower became much harder after the Russians (and partly Gandhi) destroyed my navy. So first I had to gain back the control in the sea which took some time. I got destroyers but then Asoka destroyed my only oilwell and again it took some time to reconstruct that.

In the mean time Churchill had inflicted quite heavy losses for Mehmed and had conquered couple of his cities. This weakened Mehmed so much that I was able to take Samsun once again. But Asoka was putting heavy pressure from the North and I wasn’t able to take any more cities from Mehmed.

After initial setbacks I was able to rule the eastern sea once more and I was able to transfer troops to the island. But time was not on my side. Asoka was massing more and more troops to the island; he had clearly understood its importance. As Churchill made peace with Mehmed and Asoka I was left evermore worse. I had to attack quikly and when I finally did I lost my whole army in the northern island and was not able to take any cities from Asoka. This was total disaster and weakened my position even more. The situation got so bad that I had no other choise than to make peace with Mehmed and Asoka in 1975. After fighting 20 years the initial goal of the war had finally failed.

The failed attack in the North

Aftermath

The aftermath of the war was that I lost one city (Etruscan) and I gained two cities (Samsun and Lahore) and that the initial goal of caturing Asokas cities in the northern island failed. In that way it seems that the war was not worth 20 years of fighting. But one goal was achieved and it was the destruction of Mehmeds army. He had been the ruler of the continent but this war had ruined his army and economy. Even Asoka, his vassal, was now more powerfull than him.

Powergraph

I had been able to ascent my nation from the depths and I now possessed equal chances of ruling the continent. This I put to effect 15 years later when I was finally able to break the vassal treaty of Mehmed and Asoka by giving away one of my cities to Asoka. 1991 I attacked once more and this time I didn’t have to worry about Mehmed. In that war I was finally able to take the two cities from Asoka which had so long been my obsession.

Excellent story. Thank you to ilduce for pointing it out to me.

Also, :bump:

Yes, I also saw this story earlier from Ilduce. So if anyone is getting thrown into a flaming garbage can for this bump...:D

Nice there is still some new readers for this :) Its been a while when I have last visited the forum. If you are interested there is another story from me http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=285399. Its more story like, not only AAR. Thanks for your feedback.

Eurasia in War is one of the best stories on this site.

You need to write more!

Thanks Mosher. It's been a while since I have written anything and to be honest I haven't played Civ that much for the last 2 years. Maybe if I get a PC that runs Civ5 nicely I could get an inspiration for a story :)

Thanks Mosher. It's been a while since I have written anything and to be honest I haven't played Civ that much for the last 2 years. Maybe if I get a PC that runs Civ5 nicely I could get an inspiration for a story :)

I would be much obliged if you would :p

This is a good story. It needs a :bump:.

It is my territory! Anyone who says differently is a liar! :shifty:

You do not!

I AM THE SOLE RULER OF CIV STORIES AND TALES! :mwaha:

you two really need to stop bumping old threads and pm'ing
its becoming a habit :lol:

I am the Unofficial Bumper of Civ4 Stories and Tales. :king:

Top Bottom